PM2 clink or thud

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RugerNurse

PM2 clink or thud

Post by RugerNurse »

An observation about the Crucarta PM2 and the G10. The micarta has a satisfying thud when the blade closes and hits the stop pin. The G10 version has a tinny “clink” noise. I can’t figure out why. My best guess is that the pivot screw keeps coming loose and making the noise.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Ramonade

Re: PM2 clink or thud

Post by Ramonade »

I think it is more a question of acoustics. G10 and Micarta aren't the same material, and the CruCarta has full liners. When the blade opens it slams into the stop pin and "shakes" the whole assembly.

A different assembly and different materials will definitely make a different sound.
(And yes, I opened my CruCarta and another PM2 many times will typing this :') )
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I think Robin nailed it. I have always thought the Native Chief (and Military too) has a very emphatic sound when opening, then someone compared the standard Chief to the Carbon Fiber model where it is even more so. The material change amplified the sound in that example.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I think it’s the stiffness of the material used for the handles.

I’ve got Micarta, G10, and carbon fiber. The Micarta makes a softer “clunk” when opening or closing, G10 makes a “clink,” and carbon fiber makes a higher frequency “tink.” My G10 and carbon Para 3’s act the same as the PM2’s.

I think the shock transmits more into the steel parts the stiffer the handle material is, making them ring differently.

I wonder where metal handled PM2’s fit in the mix? (Copper, Titanium…)
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Pokey wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:29 pm
I’ve got Micarta, G10, and carbon fiber. The Micarta makes a softer “clunk” when opening or closing, G10 makes a “clink,” and carbon fiber makes a higher frequency “tink.” My G10 and carbon Para 3’s act the same as the PM2’s.
Weird that the handle material makes that much difference. I figured the full liners play a part also. I had a G10 PM2 in the past but thought it didn’t make the clink noise but I had nothing to compare it to so maybe my memory is off. Thanks for double checking on yours. I like the G10 handles but wanted to make sure that something wasn’t wrong.

Also, do you know anyway to keep the pivot screw from loosening without locktite? Mine keeps loosening up as I use it.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I use blue loctite on my pivot screws. Less is more. Apply, and get the tension just tighter than where you like. I then let it sit for 24 hours before opening it or using it. Should be good to go.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:39 am
I use blue loctite on my pivot screws. Less is more. Apply, and get the tension just tighter than where you like. I then let it sit for 24 hours before opening it or using it. Should be good to go.
Another dumb question, do you have to adjust both pivot screws? One side I can’t budge at all.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

RugerNurse wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:34 am

Weird that the handle material makes that much difference. I figured the full liners play a part also. I had a G10 PM2 in the past but thought it didn’t make the clink noise but I had nothing to compare it to so maybe my memory is off. Thanks for double checking on yours. I like the G10 handles but wanted to make sure that something wasn’t wrong.

Also, do you know anyway to keep the pivot screw from loosening without locktite? Mine keeps loosening up as I use it.

All of the materials will make a difference in the sound it makes. Handle material, with liners, (half or full,) or without, how tight all of the screws are will make a difference. All of the parts will transmit the sound of the lock lever snapping over when we open the blade and the shock of the blade hitting the stop pin. When the blade is closed and the ball on the side of the lock lever drops into the detent that will vary, too.

I use Loctite 242 Removable on screws. https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/prod ... ue242.html And like JSumm said, "Less is more." I'll apply a small amount on one side of the threads at the end of the screw. I use just enough to moisten half the threads, not soak them.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RugerNurse wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:14 am
JSumm wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:39 am
Another dumb question, do you have to adjust both pivot screws? One side I can’t budge at all.
That's interesting. Maybe too much loctite from the factory. So it is obviously the other screw that keeps backing out on you then. In that case, since it is your only concern I personally would remove the loose screw, add a small bit of loctite on that one and move on.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005