Really liking S90V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderwebs

Really liking S90V

Post by Spyderwebs »

I got the PM2 in S90V/DLC a while ago. I have to say I am loving this steel, and DLC for that matter. Other steels in my stable include VG10, 20CV, S110V, 15v, and CruWear but I have to say S90V has become my new all-around favorite.

I got one of the BBB 15v mules and think S90V feels very similar on stones and with edge retention, but the 15v is very non-stainless IME (i know its not at all stainless, but still managed to get light staining even being careful with its maintenance). I love 15v, but dont want to worry about keeping a knife clean, dry, and oiled for EDC. It gets sticky-sharp like CruWear without much trouble, but better edge retention and stainless. Blows 20CV away IMO.

Anyways, S90V is my new favorite stainless steel. I hope to see more knives in S90V and/or DLC in the future!
Giygas

Re: Really liking S90V

Post by Giygas »

S90V is the only stainless steel that I describe as one of my favorite steels, as opposed to one of my favorite stainless steels.

I've even used it to do all the dumb things you're not supposed to do with knives and never had any issues.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

S90V is great stuff. When I started to get (obsessively) into pocket knives it was “the” super steel. It often gets overshadowed today but I still think it’s one of the best.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Iirc Sal said its his favorite steel. Love it on my fluted native5! This and my 15v pm2 are the only knives occupying my pockets the last month or so. Native for dress and pm2 for play😁
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Spyderwebs,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

It and CTS 20-CP are my favorite stainless steels. Can't wait to get the PM2 salt in Magnacut to compare and see if it dethrones them. The M390, 204P and 20CV didn't do it, though I do use them a lot too. I have some Magnacut but I'll wait to make my final judgement until it's Spyderco heat treated. The others are all PM2s too.
GeneH

Post by GeneH »

Giygas wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:09 am
S90V is the only stainless steel that I describe as one of my favorite steels, as opposed to one of my favorite stainless steels.

I've even used it to do all the dumb things you're not supposed to do with knives and never had any issues.
I have to ask, what "dumb things..." :rofl have you done? Knives are such useful tools I sometimes forget the intent is kniving, not ...other stuff.
1095 AUS8 S3 154CM VG10 Nitro V and now - 15V Mule! :bug-white-red
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

It's my favorite steel. I find myself carrying the S90V versions of the Spydercos that I have, over the other steel types.
This one today, Manix 2 yesterday. Looking for another Ti Military to do a blade swap for my S90V version :D

elena86

Post by elena86 »

Soulrack wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:34 pm
It and CTS 20-CP are my favorite stainless steels. Can't wait to get the PM2 salt in Magnacut to compare and see if it dethrones them. The M390, 204P and 20CV didn't do it, though I do use them a lot too. I have some Magnacut but I'll wait to make my final judgement until it's Spyderco heat treated. The others are all PM2s too.

I was trying to get over the Magnacut hype for some time now but even the assumption that MC could “dethrone” S90V is way too much. Don’t get me started …
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

S90V is my favorite 'high alloy' stainless steel (believe I'm using that correctly). A simple yet elegant composition, and it's def tougher than many folks claim it to be.

But I'm still a sucker for 14C28N, 12C27, or NitroV. I really wish Spyderco would try some of those steels on their budget line.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

GeneH wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:40 pm
Giygas wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:09 am

I have to ask, what "dumb things..." :rofl have you done? Knives are such useful tools I sometimes forget the intent is kniving, not ...other stuff.
Lots of batoning and prying, little bit of digging and chopping through roots that aren't big enough to justify getting a saw. Probably the worst thing though is using the tip to dig nails out so I can get them with the claw of a hammer. I feel really dumb every time I do that, but the tips still there:

(PM2 for scale)

That knife has almost completely replaced my xm24 in my carry rotation. Its done everything my xm24 has, with a much thinner grind plus I like s90v a whole lot more than m390.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

gooeytek wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:54 pm
It's my favorite steel. I find myself carrying the S90V versions of the Spydercos that I have, over the other steel types.
This one today, Manix 2 yesterday. Looking for another Ti Military to do a blade swap for my S90V version :D

That’s one of the best looking Spydercos I’ve ever seen! What is it?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
GeneH

Post by GeneH »

Giygas wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:35 pm
Lots of batoning and prying, little bit of digging and chopping through roots...using the tip to dig nails out so I can get them with the claw of a hammer. I feel really dumb every time I do that, but the tips still there:

That knife has almost completely replaced my xm24 in my carry rotation. Its done everything my xm24 has, with a much thinner grind plus I like s90v a whole lot more than m390.
LOL. At least you haven't broken off the tip. Show's it's pretty tough steel.
1095 AUS8 S3 154CM VG10 Nitro V and now - 15V Mule! :bug-white-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:51 pm
gooeytek wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:54 pm

[picture of PPT]
That’s one of the best looking Spydercos I’ve ever seen! What is it?
The blade is from the Spyderco PPT (S90V and CF sprint-run). But it seems like the whole body was made to turn this steel RIL into a titanium RIL ! Never saw it done on that model, looks splending.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’ve been in the mountains this week, and brought a handful of knives to carry.

This S90V PM2 has been in my pocket all week. It’s just hard to beat. I’ll be interested to see how it sharpens compared to Cruwear, whenever I have to actually sharpen it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

I figured you guys would think this is neat. Here's some color metallography I did between these two steels.

Microstructure of CPM S90V

Microstructure of CPM 15V

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

In layman’s terms, it looks like the 15V has many more carbides. Also much finer?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

S90V! That old battle horse that refuses to retire! It still holds its own today among fierce competition from the sexy new steels.

I have fond memories of an original S90V Military user I bought years ago. It easily out-performed every other steel in my small collection at the time, including the then would-be contenders M390 and M4.

I eventually replaced it with the S90V Knifeworks Ti CF version.

The PM2 S90V CF sprint was an unobtainable grail all these years despite my best efforts. When the recent DLC exclusives dropped at bargain prices I couldn’t believe my luck and bought a few.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:53 pm
In layman’s terms, it looks like the 15V has many more carbides. Also much finer?
Yes, more carbide volume and finer carbides, also a higher working hardness.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Every time I read to stay away from certain steels….in this case, due to sharpening difficulty….others come along with a love of that steel :hot-face

So, is it hard to sharpen, or exaggerated rumor? :face monocle