Hardware coating

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RugerNurse

Hardware coating

Post by RugerNurse »

Dumb question but I’ve never used coated hardware. My salt 2 has it blacked out and after getting the knife really dirty I ran it under the water for a bit to clean when it dried off the pivot was really tight. Is this common?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
JSumm

Re: Hardware coating

Post by JSumm »

Doesn't look like your question was ever answered. Was is really hot water? That can cause things to expand. Other than that, I have noticed when cleaning out the pivot area occasionally the pivot area will become less smooth to operate. Probably just because it is dry. You could try a few drops of oil and work it in to see if that resolves it. I do not think the coated hardware has anything to do with it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I've had that happen too, and it goes against the idea of Salts not needing lube.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I do feel like they break in over time and don't require it as often or ever. But especially at first. Not a salt, but I needed oil on my LW Native 5 when I first broke it in. That thing would get ridiculously tight the first week.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Agreed, not often at all, but every now and then a drop or two makes a difference.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Dirt, grit, rubbing together creates friction. A drop of oil helps and may flush it out.