Reveal 13 Live!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
weeping minora

Re: Reveal 13 Live!

Post by weeping minora »

I find it a bit odd that the Stretch 2 XL hasn't been revealed in its LW K390 suit yet :thinking.

Nonetheless, I'm in for the K294 MULE and K390 LeafJumper. Irregardless of the outstanding vocal lashings towards the Seki factory, they ultimately make up the bulk of my Spydie purchasing, anymore.

Since I've lost my BD1N UKPK (along with my other daily slipit driver in the SpyDK) and the S110V wasn't quite to my preference, I'll most likely be picking up a SPY27 to fill that void, especially at that price point.

Interesting to see M4 make its way into China and whilst tempting, is still a pass, from me.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Weeping Minora,

Our main Seki maker is also way overextended in their capacity. They are doing a great job getting product to us and we are very fortunate to have them as a partner. They are always refining/juggling their schedule depending on the models in queue, steel availability (Steels like K390 are often made just for us and it may take 9 months to get it), demand and volume of the run, handle production, colors, etc. etc.

sal

So te "When" question
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

weeping minora wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 6:43 pm
I find it a bit odd that the Stretch 2 XL hasn't been revealed in its LW K390 suit yet :thinking.

Nonetheless, I'm in for the K294 MULE and K390 LeafJumper. Irregardless of the outstanding vocal lashings towards the Seki factory, they ultimately make up the bulk of my Spydie purchasing, anymore.

Since I've lost my BD1N UKPK (along with my other daily slipit driver in the SpyDK) and the S110V wasn't quite to my preference, I'll most likely be picking up a SPY27 to fill that void, especially at that price point.

Interesting to see M4 make its way into China and whilst tempting, is still a pass, from me.
That SpyDK was an under the radar EDC gem
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

I wonder if the Chief LW will have similar rounded handles like the Para 3 LW or more blocky shape like the G-10 version of the Chief. I really like the Chief but the harder corners make it less useful than if more rounded.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 11:22 am
I wonder if the Chief LW will have similar rounded handles like the Para 3 LW or more blocky shape like the G-10 version of the Chief. I really like the Chief but the harder corners make it less useful than if more rounded.
It will most likely be just like the Native 5 LW. Fairly blocky, but very secure.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

sal wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 12:39 am
Hi Weeping Minora,

Our main Seki maker is also way overextended in their capacity. They are doing a great job getting product to us and we are very fortunate to have them as a partner. They are always refining/juggling their schedule depending on the models in queue, steel availability (Steels like K390 are often made just for us and it may take 9 months to get it), demand and volume of the run, handle production, colors, etc. etc.

sal

So te "When" question
Understandable, sal.

I have nothing but the highest respect for the Seki factory and what they offer to us. With how fast the Stretch 2 XL platform seems to be expanding, I figured it may have reached that LW K390 package by now.

If memory serves me well enough (though this isn't always my strong suit), it's been one year this month (being May 2022) since the Stretch 2 XL has been released and we've already seen 3 variants; which is very impressive, considering the events of everything in discussion. I can dig the Cruwear/G-10 and Damascus/Nishijin models, however they are above my expenditures. The LW K390 (or even a possible MagnaCut/Salt, or even an AEB-L with that treat of a heat-treat from Shawn :winking-tongue) would be more in my lane of consideration.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 7:05 am
weeping minora wrote:

That SpyDK was an under the radar EDC gem
I was incredibly bummed when that came up missing during the middle of work one day. With my track record of losing slipits (2 out of about 5/6 that I own/have owned), they certainly live up to their name in my pockets :grin-sweat. I might have to refer to them in my head as "slipouts" :hand-over-mouth.

They will all be going clipless in-the-pocket from here on out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

weeping minora wrote:

sal wrote:

sal

Well, this definitely sounds like there WILL be a Stretch XL in K390 eventually, just not now.

Enough for me, and answering the question I had ;) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94126&start=20

This will be my personal entry (and "gateway drug"?!) into the K390 world! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 10:00 pm
weeping minora wrote:

sal wrote:

sal

Well, this definitely sounds like there WILL be a Stretch XL in K390 eventually, just not now.

Enough for me, and answering the question I had ;) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94126&start=20

This will be my personal entry (and "gateway drug"?!) into the K390 world! :smlling-eyes
I know sal mentioned back around the time of original model reveal/release (so, roughly and up to a year and a half ago), that there would be runs in Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27. Obviously, this was just a "soft reveal", but considering that the Cruwear saw release in well under a year after the standard issue, I kind of thought they'd already be onto the K390 by now :cheap-sunglasses. Even the LeafJumper got K390'd before the S2XL :exploding-head.

All good things come to those who wait :drooling.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I just flipped through the new reveal for the third time now, and I've decided I must have that Subvert sprint run!

It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Great reveal! So many temptations. Must RESIST... :perservering
I must say though, I wish superblue blades were uncoated, I really like the patina on them.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kobold

Post by kobold »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 5:36 pm
My only lament is the Military 2 gets an insta SE and we have clamored for a Military SE forever. I am not a fan of comp locks so no M2 for me but possibly a Lil Yo? The UKPK honestly resonates hardest for me

I will also wait for a Military SE.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Lots of good stuff in this Reveal! I'm sure to try and get the Subvert Sprint Run and a Lightweigth Native Chief in SPY27.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

kobold wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:41 pm
I don’t understand this notion of “waiting” for a SE Military. They were offered from 1996 to the mid-2000s or so (initially in ATS-34 and 440V/S60V, later moving to S30V), exactly analogous to how they’re now releasing the Military 2: black G10 with S30V in the three blade styles (PE, CE, SE). If you didn’t get a SE Military then or off eBay since, then you’ll be waiting a very long time.

I suspect a similar thing will happen with the Military 2 - the CE and SE will be available for some time in the base model configuration. After that, unless Golden makes additional batches, you’ll likewise see fewer and fewer CE and SE ones on the market. No one has commissioned a CE or SE Military 1 exclusive to my knowledge, and I doubt anyone will do so for this new version. Those will all be various G10 color and PE steel combos particular to various vendors. I hope this makes sense… Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 3:15 pm
kobold wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 1:41 pm
I don’t understand this notion of “waiting” for a SE Military. They were offered from 1996 to the mid-2000s or so (initially in ATS-34 and 440V/S60V, later moving to S30V), exactly analogous to how they’re now releasing the Military 2: black G10 with S30V in the three blade styles (PE, CE, SE). If you didn’t get a SE Military then or off eBay since, then you’ll be waiting a very long time.

I suspect a similar thing will happen with the Military 2 - the CE and SE will be available for some time in the base model configuration. After that, unless Golden makes additional batches, you’ll likewise see fewer and fewer CE and SE ones on the market. No one has commissioned a CE or SE Military 1 exclusive to my knowledge, and I doubt anyone will do so for this new version. Those will all be various G10 color and PE steel combos particular to various vendors. I hope this makes sense… Cheers, Radioactive
They were vaporwear when I got into Spydies. Let’s say 2009 or 10. Sal usually caves (see Ayoob Cruwear) but no one could get the full SE Military resuscitation to happen. Even with SE PM3 dropping. Honestly, my desire has waned as H1 was such a great SE and my love for backlocks that a PAC Salt is a better knife for me
vivi

Post by vivi »

Every time this subject comes up I check ebay and there's always at least one SE Military listed.

Just did it again and sure enough, there's multiples listed there.

If it's a grail then just watch ebay, they're not hard to find at all. If I can find a 600 piece sprint run C95, you can find a SE Millie 1.
:unicorn
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

Not that long ago, within the last 6 months eBay had the Lansky collection that was being sold off. I tried to buy the paramilitary one. His collector number was 6 I believe. They sold a military with a two screw clip fully serrated. I’m pretty sure it was under 300.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

First of all, I'm not very impressed with my observational skills. Only noticed the reveal thread yesterday evening after reading the latest Byte.. oh well.

Interesting reveal, the overall theme here feels very much like a nod back to the forum. Or maybe I'm just imagining things because I want that to be the case. Anyhow... we got so much of what we've been asking, wishing and begging for. More Spy27, tons more SE and CE, LB got his Leafjumper in k390, and maybe the most obvious gesture towards this forum must be the UKPK in Spy27. Aside from not being G10, it's basically the Forum knife we almost could agree on.

With so many releases that aligns with forum demand I almost feel a bit sad for not seeing any obvious buys for me in this reveal. On a longer timeline I might switch out my CS Chief with a LW and I'm slightly more interested in a MM2 after reading the Byte article on it, but I don't see anything happening there until I've secured a keeper MM1.
As I'm already waiting to get my hands on a MC UKPK, I don't think I can justify another one in Spy27. I would have committed to a G10 version if that would have made a forum knife more likely to succeed, and even more enthusiastically if it was a G10 drop point, but this one is just too similar. Maybe some day, if I really like the UKPK. I sure would like to support the effort.
Last edited by aicolainen on Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:50 am
it's basically the Forum knife we almost could agree on
you're right. that didn't even occur to me. i agree with you though. i was planning on getting one as a forum knife, but magnacut is calling and i'm not sure i really need two. we'll see. i do want something in spy27 though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kobold

Post by kobold »

vivi wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 7:08 pm
Every time this subject comes up I check ebay and there's always at least one SE Military listed.

Just did it again and sure enough, there's multiples listed there.

If it's a grail then just watch ebay, they're not hard to find at all. If I can find a 600 piece sprint run C95, you can find a SE Millie 1.
I tried and failed. Linky?