Spydies Good For Game Processing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

Spydies Good For Game Processing

Post by Scandi Grind »

Just curious, I know that some people hunt with Spydercos, of the blade shapes offered, which would you consider good for processing game? And when I say that, I mean actually work well, not that it has to be the best thing available, but there are a lot of knives you "could" use that would not be very efficient. I'm only concerned with blade attributes, not handle or lock etc.

So what Spyderco knives would you say work well for hunting?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
skeeg11

Re: Spydies Good For Game Processing

Post by skeeg11 »

SpydieChef is great for skinning. Pretty decent for field dressing, too.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Current production models? Or any Spyderco?

I'd say the South Fork and Sprig are both pretty good choices.
petz462

Post by petz462 »

For deer:
Fixed blade, check out the Moran.
Folders, I'd recommend Stretch or Spydiechef.
Dave
USAF Retired
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Bill Moran drop point for fixed blade. Stretch 2 for folder.

Years back I used my first Spydie, a Delica, for a whole lot of small game.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Folder = Stretch 2. Saw a video of a guy processing a deer with a Moran. That would probably be my vote (as a non-hunter).
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

I use a Moran drop point for skinning and quartering and a ZDP Delica for fine work like unzipping and working around the rear end.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

junction, moran, bow River, enuff clip point… a street beat would work well too…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This thread is pretty current and probably answers this same question.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94466
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
R100

Post by R100 »

The Gayle Bradley 2 is pretty good.

Dan
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I’ve used my old Stretch 1 in ZDP-189 on a few deer to good effect. I used my Mule in CPM M4 on A pig and a deer and it also worked good, but the Stretch is thinner behind the edge and has a very useful shape for processing game, and that would be my choice of the two. Most Spydercos are far, far better for processing game than the crappy folders I see most hunters pull out of their pockets, but even the cheapies get the job done, eventually.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

petz462 wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 7:09 pm
For deer:
Fixed blade, check out the Moran.
Folders, I'd recommend Stretch or Spydiechef.
In the fixed blade category I'll give a vote for my all time favorite Spyderco fixed blade>> and that is the TEMPERANCE 1 model. It was one of the very few Spyderco fixed blade models that was available in SE & PE both. There was also a black bladed version as well for a year or so.

But hey I'm not knocking the Moran at all. I have no doubt that it's great for game processing. I just love having both the SE & PE TEMPERANCE 1 models handy when cutting up a fresh deer kill. Serrated blades do indeed come in handy in the butchering process.

In the folder category I've had excellent luck over the years using 3 different C-36 Military models as a hunter/folders. I even used a PM2 once and it seemed to do really well. But that extra blade length of the C-36 Military sure comes in handy at times.
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

The Moran is one of the best hunting knives on the market for the money. I use it for deer and turkey, and it’s a great knife for both. I don’t like folders for hunting anymore, even for small birds, I like the fixed blade.
Unluckycharm

Post by Unluckycharm »

Stretch 2 non-straight spine has worked well for me for deer, turkey, and squirrels. VG-10 is more than enough to dress and skin a deer, I would use a more dedicated knife to break it down. The GB2 is a similar blade shape, which I have as well but have not used… because M4, and I adore it.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

A friend of mine has used Serratas on whitetail deer here in NZ.
If you have one, give it a go, and see how you skin and joint the pesky critters.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

There is a backpacker who uses a #6 Opinel for processing the elk he hunts. A Spyderco of the same ultralight weight is the Dragonfly 2. I’ve totally processed 5 lb chickens, cutting the backbone out with cuts going down both sides. The ribs aren’t hard but the pelvis is the difficult cut and the Dragonfly in K390 made it an easy task. Then I jointed and skinned the bird. I’ve done the same with the Delica 4 in K390. In both cases the very fine sharp edge didn’t have a micro chip or roll, pristine under the 10x loupe and shaving sharp.

Many southern hunters use folders as they are both light and compact. They mighty Dragonfly is so ergonomic and highly useful that I’m carrying it on most of our hiking/backpacking trips. The Delica feels like a big, strong folder now. Both are true outdoor workhorses and the amazing K390 is highly recommended. It stays sharp for a very long time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Gamecock wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:32 pm
The Moran is one of the best hunting knives on the market for the money. I use it for deer and turkey, and it’s a great knife for both. I don’t like folders for hunting anymore, even for small birds, I like the fixed blade.
There is no argument that the Spyderco MORAN model is time tested and has endured for many years on the main line up. If they ever made either one of the Moran models available in SE I would probably get a set of them. So I still love the 2004 TEMPERANCE 1 model for most of my outdoor/hunting/fishing cutting chores.

But if Spyderco offered more fixed blades in SE & PE both I'm certain it would draw more hunters and fishermen to Spyderco.