A tale of 2 knives and the sea…

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

A tale of 2 knives and the sea…

Post by jmj3esq »

I’m just finishing up our family’s spring break vacation in Perdido Key, FL. I was wishing in the surf all week long. I brought with me my brand new Native 5 Salt in MagnaCut. As a backup I carried my Native 5 Cruwear for my trip back. I kept this knife packed away. The MagnCut exceeded expectations. I was able to fully plunge the knife on the ocean and cut thru bait in the sand all week. All I had to do is rinse when I was done. Sand easily washes out if the knife given its linerless scales. It sliced through everything I put it to with ease. If I would have used a regular stainless knife the way I did that Native 5, it would be rusted shut by now. Spyderco did well with this knife.

Now on to the Cruwear DLC. As I stated above, I never unpacked this knife until I was getting things packed up to leave. First thing I saw when I opened the blade was surface rust on the edge of the factory edge. I was astonished that in 7 days packed away, just the salty moisture in the air is enough to rust non-stainless still. It’s not pitted or anything and it should clean up fine. I just thought I’d share how much saltwater/moisture can certainly and quickly affect your blade.

Great trip. I caught some nice fish including a 5.5’ bull shark. I’ll try to post some pics when I get back.
ladybug93

Re: A tale of 2 knives and the sea…

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm really glad this wasn't a story about losing two knives to the sea like i thought it might be. congrats on the newfound freedom of the salt series. isn't it wonderful? the salt line sets spyderco apart from other companies for me more than anything else and it's what brought me back to spyderco after years of using other knives. it's really hard to beat that kind of functionality when you live in coastal areas.

let us know how that cruwear cleans up too.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Thanks for the salt water report on a MagnaCut Native. I'm liking mine. The more I use it the more I think far as edge performance goes, it's similar to my M4 Native, but it doesn't corrode.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
eshishlo

Post by eshishlo »

Good to hear about Magnacut. I had a Salt 2 in LC200 while in Sarasota last week. Kept it in my pocket while in the water and no issues either. I had a Military in S30V while on vacation in Myrtle Beach. Used it to clean a 20 lb King Mackerel but I washed it right away.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Here are a few pics of some of the awesome fish I was blessed to catch while in Perdido Key, FL, this last week. The Spyderco Salt's kept me in good hands. Enjoy!

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Thanks for the report! I’ve been thinking about a Magnacut Native 5 specifically for surf fishing too. Not that I need an excuse to buy another Spyderco, I’d buy it just to have it but I can always find a use for new one!

Also nice catches! Looks like you did well on the mackerel and those sharks must be a fun fight.
-Nick :bug-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Great thread, jmj3esq. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Jim
timw1

Post by timw1 »

Wow, what a great trip! Those Spanish Mackerel are good eating, but that Flounder is excellent! I'm sure the sharks were a lot of fun to catch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:06 am
Here are a few pics...

Thanks for sharing!

/ May I ask: What is that other knife in the pic?
On my crappy cellphone screen it almost looks like it had a "non mid" backlock (so the old Buck style) - though I guess it is rather a fixed blade?
Anyway, I think you perhaps "need" a Waterway instead of that one ... :winking-tongue
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

The filet knife in the picture is a Bubba Blade folding 7 inch filet knife. Until Spyderco makes a filet knife, thats what I'll be using. Its super sharp and flexible. It work great.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jmj3esq wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:49 am
The filet knife in the picture is a Bubba Blade folding 7 inch filet knife. Until Spyderco makes a filet knife, thats what I'll be using. Its super sharp and flexible. It work great.

Thanks! :smiling-cheeks

Very Interesting, nor did I know such a folding filet knife existed at all, neither the brand (I am not a fisherman though)

I was rather just kidding anyway, but as great as the Waterway is: Of course that Bubba blade must work better as a dedicated filet knife... just cause, well, that's what it is ;) .

A flexible (bladed) Spyderco folder is missing i the line up, true! No idea if there'd be a large enough market for such a model in Spyderco quality.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:36 am
jmj3esq wrote:

Thanks! :smiling-cheeks

Very Interesting, nor did I know such a folding filet knife existed at all, neither the brand (I am not a fisherman though)

I was rather just kidding anyway, but as great as the Waterway is: Of course that Bubba blade must work better as a dedicated filet knife... just cause, well, that's what it is ;) .

A flexible (bladed) Spyderco folder is missing i the line up, true! No idea if there'd be a large enough market for such a model in Spyderco quality.
Bubba designs and ergonomics is extremely nice. I just wish it wasn't 8cr13mov
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Connman

Post by Connman »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:06 am
Here are a few pics of some of the awesome fish I was blessed to catch while in Perdido Key, FL, this last week. The Spyderco Salt's kept me in good hands. Enjoy!

What was wing span on that cow nose , looks like a nice chunky. Did you snag it in the wing with a jig?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I said it on another thread but it's worth repeating on this most interesting fishing/sea type thread. The recent C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run has been known to be a great blade for filleting fish.

However my first pick would be for Spyderco to bring back the Catcherman model folding fillet knife with newer/better blade steels. And possibly a newer handle material as well. I still have 4 Catcherman models from the past and I have no desire to part with any of them. Sometimes really good blades for your specific activities are right in front of you.
bladesandbeverages

Post by bladesandbeverages »

Great pics and story. Having salt knifes for beach trips is a game changer. Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

huyfishin wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
jmj3esq wrote:

So you think there´d be a market for kind of a Spyderco high end version in let´s say MC?
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

What was wing span on that cow nose , looks like a nice chunky. Did you snag it in the wing with a jig?
It was almost 3 feet across and real chunky. I saw a school and thought they were redfish. I casted in the school and managed to snag one. Saw the school an hour later and ended up doing the same thing to another one. **** of a fight!
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:43 pm
huyfishin wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
jmj3esq wrote:

So you think there´d be a market for kind of a Spyderco high end version in let´s say MC?

Bubba knives definitely has the marketing done right. heavily catered to fisherman and weekend warriors. The products are found in outdoor box stores and small mom and pop tackle shops all over. Not aimed at knife enthusiast and knife collectors. MC would be nice but i would be worried about the ticket price. I know I would buy it but i'm not sure if a weekend warrior fisherman would buy it.
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I think there's a bigger market for a filet knife than people think. I have been looking to purchase a Spyderco Catcherman for fileting but every one goes for a lot of money. People still want this knife. Sal, if you're listening I think you really need to reconsider a Catcherman II or another totally remanufactured filet knife to suit the day. Considering the Salt series, it just seems natural. Lets get it done!
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've used various sizes of the same style filet knife all my life, starting with a 4" Rapala when I was a kid tagging along with my Grandad. However, I started falling down the Japanese kitchen knives rabbit hole a couple of years ago and recently decided to try a Deba knife, Blue #2 core steel with stainless cladding. It's very stout at 3.4mm thick above the heel, and only 105mm (4.1") blade length, no flex whatsoever. Traditionally the Deba has a chisel grind but I opted for a double bevel because I'm more comfortable with that. After watching some Youtube video I have effectively cleaned and fileted whole fish from 10" trout to 5lb Rockfish to 12lb salmon so far. My boat trailer needs some tlc so I bought these fish from my local monger. Color me 'impressed' and amazed at what this style knife is capable of. Can't wait for salmon season.

Edited to add: How about a Murray Carter Deba Sal? I'd love to try a double bevel Deba in BD1N.