Delica replace...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vito72

Delica replace...

Post by vito72 »

Hello everybody...
It's a long time I was not on that place, but even if I was not logged since October 2016 still I was looking time to time at spyderco new models and new releases.

I'm here because after so many years I had to buy a new piece.

Last week I was wearing one jeans I rarely use because a bit unconfortable and because the pocket shape is not clip knife friendly it tends to drop down the knife. I was for a walking with friend on the beach and suddently I realized I lost my Delica blue JJ production code. >:[ care on pocket that knife since I bought one of the first handle coloured batches I guess, every day of last 12 years. Just sometimes I rotated with dragonfly or native.. Well I decided to bought a new piece and in the beginning i choose endura or a delica or endela (endura I have delica had) when I was almost ready to order endela the only one still I don't own in the family, I found a good deal for European standards, of Para 3 lightweight. I'm not a para fan I have a sprint run D2 green G10 new, and I sold the Para2 black G10 >:[ >:[ >:[ (first and last time sold a spyderco from my collection)
This para 3 it's of course compression lock and really I don't like this one but it ìs open costruction it is light, its 3 inch (max blade lenght I would care) and have a wire clip the one I prefer,and at last have the finger choil I love and missed on delica, and the steel I guess would be easy to sharp. So I decided to take a chance to this one as a new daily carring knife to replace the trusted delica. Now the para is on the way I will let you know something about when will be delivered.
Thank you at all to read the story ;)
Haunted House

Re: Delica replace...

Post by Haunted House »

Good luck with your new knife. If you don’t connect with it, you should try the Endela.
As a Delica lover, it has become my new favorite Spyderco knife.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Delica's are excellent knives, but the P3 is a good alternative. Sorry you had to lose an old friend, however. Maybe whoever finds it will become a Spyderco fan as well?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
z1r

Post by z1r »

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:00 am
Good luck with your new knife. If you don’t connect with it, you should try the Endela.
As a Delica lover, it has become my new favorite Spyderco knife.
Agreed, my K390 Endela is the knife I carry most. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Delica, I just never carry any of the ones I own. I think I have a blue Delica. That said, I am very tempted to buy the M4 Delica. Anyway, having just lost my Hawkbill, I can relate. Hope you find the replacement that you can carry for the next ten years!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica is hard to beat. I would buy another one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Delica Wharncliffe.

Endela if you want the standard blade shape.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

The only substitute for a Delica is a Salt 2... Or another Delica!
MNOSD member 0011
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Thanks to all!
Para 3 is on the way, when it will be delivered I will try to care and see if it's ok for me if no I would store it with other my spyderco and come back to look at delica substitute.
The best spyderco I own in my opinion for my tastes are:
Military
Native 2
Dragonfly
military it's to big to care, native I rarely care was a gift and I would preserve it and my two dragonfly I would not care because the frn have integrated clip and is not secure clipped as many of you know and the second one is the tattoo and I prefer to not care and leave in the collection. Another one i love very much is the native chief but as I told it' a bit longer as daily carry and the pattadese too... They both have a phenomenal blade geometry. But a little bit pricely for me in that moment.
Back to the question... If para light would not meet my tastes I would go with another Delica or Endela I do not own a warncliffe blade so maybe i could be temped.. About Endela I hope they will be soon out with coloured frn scales.. I will see.. But for now we hawe to take a chance to the para :bug-red-white
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

To muddy the waters a bit more, how about the Leaf Jumper? You get a similar sized knife to the Delica but with more cutting edge. I've heard good things about the handles too. I got a Lil' Temp 3 LW and I'm now a big fan of the handle forward designs that maximize cutting edge on a given blade.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:02 am
To muddy the waters a bit more, how about the Leaf Jumper? You get a similar sized knife to the Delica but with more cutting edge. I've heard good things about the handles too. I got a Lil' Temp 3 LW and I'm now a big fan of the handle forward designs that maximize cutting edge on a given blade.
Thanks Leaf and Rock jumper are very clever alternatives..
Lil Temp it's nice but I would prefer the lil native for my tastes between too Lil
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Have you ever looked at the sage or caly 3… just wondering haha
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vito72 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:40 am
p_atrick wrote:
Lil Temp it's nice but I would prefer the lil native for my tastes between too Lil

Yes, but Leaf / RockJumper are bigger than a Delica - in length (though not that much), but especially in footprint (wider) - not a con at all (rather a pro for me), just saying

If you want to stay "delica-ish", but a hair more cutting edge and really light weight (and very high corrosion resistance): Salt 2 ffg! I´d go wharnie SE with that one these days (have the drop point SE, also a great choice)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Here we hare, today I had the new para3 lightweight.
I would care the knife few weeks, but first impressions are:
too much light!! Even for my tastes...
Delica gave me more solidity feeling on the handle with nested lines.
The action is very smooth, opening, and closing too, its fast and clean, the single washer action it's very similar to the double washer.
The scales edges are a bit sharper as mentioned in many feedback.
The grip it's very strong and secure.
The wire clip allow the deep carry and after so many years of delica I used to keep the knife out of pocket with two fingers from the tail outside the pocket.
Razor sharp out of the box just tried to cut a paper and shaving hair and done!
Para 3.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vito72 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:47 am

When reading your entire post it sounds like there actually IS still a lot you like on the Para 3 LW and like it will grow on yöu! :smlling-eyes

Bout the weight: Yes, it's funny: Going by Spydercos specs the Delica actually is even a tad lighter or at least not heavier than the Para 3 LW, but feels "heavier" in a good, solid way.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:36 pm
vito72 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:47 am

When reading your entire post it sounds like there actually IS still a lot you like on the Para 3 LW and like it will grow on yöu! :smlling-eyes

Bout the weight: Yes, it's funny: Going by Spydercos specs the Delica actually is even a tad lighter or at least not heavier than the Para 3 LW, but feels "heavier" in a good, solid way.
Yes that's the point just 4 grams between them but as you told, delica give a much more solid feeling. I guess because for the back lock and back space, the open construction in my opinion give this feeling as less robust. I guess comparing Native LW 5 and Para3 LW the first one would beat in solidity feeling the para and feel in between delica and para LW, unfortunately for now I have only a Native 2 but I wish to have a new native soon.
I don't use pocket knives for heavy tasks, so not any regreats about the para3 but you reached the point, I need some days to feeling mine the para, after so many years to care the same knife. Delica was as a third hand for me ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:13 am
vito72 wrote:
p_atrick wrote:

Yes, but Leaf / RockJumper are bigger than a Delica - in length (though not that much), but especially in footprint (wider) - not a con at all (rather a pro for me), just saying

If you want to stay "delica-ish", but a hair more cutting edge and really light weight (and very high corrosion resistance): Salt 2 ffg! I´d go wharnie SE with that one these days (have the drop point SE, also a great choice)
Why ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
vito72 wrote:
p_atrick wrote:

Why ?

Hi Marius,

Why I would take the wharnie over the drop point Salt 2 ffg SE these days (SE is a given anyway)?

The Salt 2 ffg SE is my choice when I just want the lightest possible, but still really capable option for throwing in my pack, pocket or clip to the waistband when heading in the outdoors (actually pretty much never carry it in a more "urban" setting)

Not that it would make a huge difference: But I feel that the wharnie would be just a tad "better" in the tasks I then tend to need to perform then than the drop point. Often just a quick, but powerful cut through branches, or vine, or cordage for example. Or roughly whittling a stick where for me a long, straight edge works a just a bit better.

Additionally the Salt has the (small) size where I really like a wharnie shape for whatever reason (not so much in longer blades).

Here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89256&start=40#p1614903 is a post that illustrates a bit what I tend to do in a typical "I carry my Salt 2" - scenario (reading it myself I have to admit: For some tasks the drop point actually should work a bit better than the wharnie and vice versa)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:25 pm
elena86 wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:05 am
Wartstein wrote:
vito72 wrote:

Why ?

Hi Marius,

Why I would take the wharnie over the drop point Salt 2 ffg SE these days (SE is a given anyway)?

The Salt 2 ffg SE is my choice when I just want the lightest possible, but still really capable option for throwing in my pack, pocket or clip to the waistband when heading in the outdoors (actually pretty much never carry it in a more "urban" setting)

Not that it would make a huge difference: But I feel that the wharnie would be just a tad "better" in the tasks I then tend to need to perform then than the drop point. Often just a quick, but powerful cut through branches, or vine, or cordage for example. Or roughly whittling a stick where for me a long, straight edge works a just a bit better.

Additionally the Salt has the (small) size where I really like a wharnie shape for whatever reason (not so much in longer blades).

Here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89256&start=40#p1614903 is a post that illustrates a bit what I tend to do in a typical "I carry my Salt 2" - scenario (reading it myself I have to admit: For some tasks the drop point actually should work a bit better than the wharnie and vice versa)
I hear you. For utility cuts the wharnie packs more cutting power and in shorter blades a straght edge might be more preferable to a curved edge but the edge of the Salt2 is almost straight, with a very mild belly. For more slicey motions the edge with a gentle belly should work better than a straight one. I was inspired by your photos and ordered one myself( I allready own the SE wharnie ffg Delica and Salt2 ). I like to have a crisp pointy tip on my blades and that excessive drop point might be a downside for me but it’s an easy fix. For the moment I shall leave the “sheepsfooty” style tip in place and use it for a few days to see how it works for me. Who knows… I did the same with the SE Endela and that drop point started to grow on me. I should receive the package today according to UPS tracking… can’t wait. I’ll let you know how it works for me. Cheers.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

I've owned 5, 6, 7 Delica's over the years? I've either given or gifted away every single one of them, I just gave away my last remaining Delica to a 21 year old kid here in the body shop a couple weeks ago, so I'm out!

As far as what I call my Delica replacements....My PE K390 Endela, and my Green SE wharncliffe Salt 2, I guess I could also throw my serrated Rockjumper in there as well? And I'm not saying it takes all of these three to replace a Delica, each one of these models is superior to the Delica....for me, and my uses. But I've never owned a wharncliffe Delica, might not know what I'm missing?

Still thinking a serrated K390 Leafjumper could possibly replace an entire sock drawer full of knives for me!