UKPK drop point vs leaf

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

UKPK drop point vs leaf

Post by elena86 »

For many years I only had eyes for the leaf one but that funky drop point blade started to grow on me. It screams “spyderco” and it really is a good performer. The Heinnie red exclusive drop point sealed the deal for me. I love that thing. I only wish spyderco releases more drop point variants but it seems the leaf one is the better seller. Let’s hear some thoughts …
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
skeeg11

Re: UKPK drop point vs leaf

Post by skeeg11 »

I suppose it all depends upon your applications. In serrations I prefer the leaf or wharnie. In PE I definitely prefer drop point.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

I have both my FRN/BD1N and my Heinnie drop point UKPKs in my pocket today (and many days). I love the drop point. I wish they offered this this blade shape in a locking model. My proposed handle shape would be something along the line of the original Rescue Jr or Rescue 79mm with the UKPK style drop point and updated for a wire clip.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’d love if they made a hollow grind drop point version with a backlock. It wouldn’t beat the iconic and super useful leaf shape blade but I think it would be an excellent piece nonetheless
:bug-red-white
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I agree.

I've been beating the drum for drop point Stretches, UKPKs and others for quite a while.

A drop point Caly 3 is very nearly a backlock UKPK.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Enactive wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:47 pm
A drop point Caly 3 is very nearly a backlock UKPK.
Here's hoping we get one of these at some point.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

For hunting I would want the drop point. That is what it was designed for. For day to day I prefer the leaf for more precision.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

I as well prefer the drop point over leaf. I like the look of both blades and I recognize that the drop-point loos weird to some, but as a general EDC (and that is what the UKPK is first and formeost for) is simply more practical. The little bit of curve towards the tip makes slicing of an apple or a pizza a lot easier as one tends much less to poke into the cutting board or pizza box. At the same time the tip is very much usable.

I would love to see more of the drop-point (like the UKPK) on some other knives from Spyderco, but they apparently are not the best sellers and that is an argument that is hard to ignore.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I do have to admit to being tempted sorely by the Heinnie Haynes drop point UKPK. That is a good looking knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:30 am
I do have to admit to being tempted sorely by the Heinnie Haynes drop point UKPK. That is a good looking knife.
Don't hesitate, it is made really well. I still prefer to carry the FRN version, but the G10 is just a step above.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

I find that the relatively straight edge of the leaf blade is easier to sharpen than the curvier drop point. Also, my eyes hurt after seeing a drop point UKPK.

I wish they'd offer G10 versions of the UKPK, black G10 with S30V and dark blue G10 with Spy27. I wouldn't buy one with a drop point blade though.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Some may see it differently, but for me the UKPK with droppoint blade is a wonderful symbiosis in everyday life ... :index-finger
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
cjk

Post by cjk »

I like both, but prefer the leaf over the drop point.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Team leaf blade for me on this one.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer the leaf blade and prefer FRN. Hmmm. A dark red frn leaf blad UKPK (not maroon or burgundy. More Cabernet Savingnon). That would be fine.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Another fan of the drop point UKPK. Such a useful blade shape.
I’ll have to try a leaf at some point (of course). ;)
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

The best blade shape or style will vary depending upon the task, but I find a PE drop point more versatile than a leaf PE overall. YMMV
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ferruginous wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:59 am
I find that the relatively straight edge of the leaf blade is easier to sharpen than the curvier drop point.
Is it actually the case that the drop point edge of the UKPK is CURVIER than the leaf?!
Honest question, I don't have either!

Just from looking at the two versions it seems like Stretch (drop point) vs Manix (leaf) - and with THAT two models the Stretch has actually a completely straight edge before the belly starts to rise while the Manix has a continuous curve in the edge (I prefer the Stretch edge)

Not the case with the UKPK drop point vs leaf?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:55 am
Ferruginous wrote:
I find that the relatively straight edge of the leaf blade is easier to sharpen than the curvier drop point.
Is it actually the case that the drop point edge of the UKPK is CURVIER than the leaf?!

Just from looking at the two versions it seems like Stretch (drop point) vs Manix (leaf) - and with THAT two models the Stretch has actually a completely straight edge before the belly starts to rise while the Manix has a continuous curve in the edge (I prefer the Stretch edge)

Same case. The drop point blade has more than enough straight edge. It’s more or less a mini Stretch with a more ergonomic handle… at least for my medium paws. As I said, in the past I only had eyes for the leaf blade but now the drop point blade started to grow on me. Each blade shape has its own strong points and its own beauty but that funky stretch-esque shape screams Sal Glesser and Spyderco The leaf shape blade with the slightly curved edge is better for utility cuts but the edge of the “lil’stretch” is more versatile if you ask me. To each his own.
Last edited by elena86 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:55 am
Ferruginous wrote:

Same case. The drop point blade has more than enough straight edge.

Thanks!

Then, as far as I can tell without actually having ever tried either one, I'd certainly prefer the drop point (I actually do like the shape, similar to the non straight spine Stretch, too).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)