UKPK drop point vs leaf

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: UKPK drop point vs leaf

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:30 am
I do have to admit to being tempted sorely by the Heinnie Haynes drop point UKPK. That is a good looking knife.

Hellas Thomas, both the leaf and the drop point HH exclusives are gone. They might re-stock them but not anytime soon. Golden did a terrific job with both models. The fit and finish and the crisp walk and talk of those folders are on a high level. I only wish they use the full back spring on the lightweight ones too. I got both and I am a happy camper.
Last edited by elena86 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:39 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:30 am
I do have to admit to being tempted sorely by the Heinnie Haynes drop point UKPK. That is a good looking knife.

Hellas Thomas, both the leaf and the drop point HH exclusives are gone. They might re-stock them but not anytime soon. Golden did a terrific job with both models. The fit and finsh and the crisp walk and talk of those folders are on a high level. I only wish they use the full back spring on the lightweight ones too. I got both and I am a happy camper.
Ah Marius, rubbing salt into the wound. :grin-squint I knew they would be great. My money had to go for other things, though. One day they will get around to having more. Maybe they will get an FRN version, which is very light in weight.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t have a drop point UKPK, but the blade shape looks the same as my old Spyderco Tim Wegner model. I like that its tip is more solid than the leaf blade. But there’s something about Spyderco’s leaf blades that I love, including on my UKPK Salt. Therefore, I favor the leaf blade over the drop point.

Jim
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

If I were in the UK and needed to field dress a small deer, I would choose the drop point.

As it is, I find the leaf point just about perfect!

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Coastal wrote: Image
So it goes.
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I only own the leaf blade, so I can't compare the two, but is the difference between the two blade shapes really that big?

The drop point might be a little more slicey in the front part of the blade, due to the missing metal, so it is effectively thinner there.
And the curvature of the two shapes is a little different, but still similar.
I'm not even sure, if the tip of the drop point blade really is more sturdy or if it just an optical thing :thinking

drop.PNG
leaf.PNG
drop2.PNG
leaf2.PNG
Pictures taken from www.knivesandtools.de
Murat_Cyp

Post by Murat_Cyp »

I have both and prefer drop point over leaf shape. Both the leaf and drop point resides in my drawer and every time I need to use a knife, I instinctively grab the drop point. Before getting a drop point, I was using the leaf UKPK occasionally and I was favoring other slip joints I have for quick tasks like opening a box or letter. But after the arrival of the drop point, it became my go to knife for everything that I do with a folding knife. It is hard to say why, but drop point feels more natural and practical to use compared to the leaf. I wish it was a standard option.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Depending upon purpose, yes, there is a notable difference. For outdoor food prep and similar activities, the drop point PE definitely gets the nod. It is all around more versatile than the leaf for my uses. If the Forum knife came out as a UKPK drop point with HHG, it would definitely steal EDC pocket time from my favorite EDC. I would prefer MagnaCut instead of the proposed Spy-27, but that would be splitting hairs.

When it comes to serrated blades I would choose the leaf over the drop point and l already have as my serrated LC200N UKPK Salt is a pretty darn handy companion for surf fishing ventures.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

The Delica 4 blade is considered leaf or modified leaf? The interesting thing about it is the point does drop near the tip. It is small but must have more thought behind it than meets the eye. It is one of the most accurate and controllable stabbing motion blades ever. It just slides right straight into the direction of choice. I have a lot of folders but that’s my blade of choice.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Ryder wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:08 pm
The Delica 4 blade is considered leaf or modified leaf? The interesting thing about it is the point does drop near the tip. It is small but must have more thought behind it than meets the eye. It is one of the most accurate and controllable stabbing motion blades ever. It just slides right straight into the direction of choice. I have a lot of folders but that’s my blade of choice.
It’s a modified clip point and the edge has a very slight curvature. Awesome blade shape indeed.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ryder wrote:

I like the slight drop of the Delica 4’s blade spine at the tip. This was done to make the point a little more durable. The Delica versions 1 thru 3 had fine, pointy tips, so the design for the Delica 4 was to slightly reinforce the tips. I’m assuming that enough users were accidentally snapping off the fine tips of their Delicas and Enduras to necessitate this change. Whatever the reason, I think it’s brilliant, and offers some tip reinforcement without sacrificing much, if any, penetration. I find it also helps give the tip some added leverage when doing certain cuts.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ryder wrote:
The Delica 4 blade is considered leaf or modified leaf? ...

Delica: Drop point, if you ask me.

And it also offers a bit more the feel of a "straight edge" than a "continuously curved" edge.
I like that (on the Delica)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Senfkarte wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:07 pm
I only own the leaf blade, so I can't compare the two, but is the difference between the two blade shapes really that big?

Can´t talk about the UKPKS, but when comparing for example Stretch and Manix: Yes, the difference IS quite noticable for me

Not due to the OVERALL shape, but again: Due to the "long straight edge section vs continuous curved edge"

You can try this by for example just whittle on a stick or cut a plastic bottle without piercing it initially with a Stretch and than a Manix (or presumably also a drop point UKPK and than a Leaf):

A Stretch will transfer the power better over a longer way of the edge and be less likely to "glance off" than a Manix, due to the different "edge curves" (or "not curves", when it comes to the Stretch or presumably also the drop point UKPK).

This is just "mechanics", and much like Michael Janich explains in his great vid about wharncliffes (where the power is transferred better over the whole edge length of course, since it is 100% straight).

To be clear: Of course a more curved edge has its own advantages too, no doubt!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

I see, there really is a difference. Thanks for all the replies
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

elena86, James Y, and Wartstein thanks for the replies and info.
I had to core a cauliflower last night as I do most every week. So the point is placed on the stem and angled inwards and pushed straight in while rotating and thrusting the blade over and over until it comes back to the beginning. Some blades will veer off but not the Delica. Might be the way I hold a knife for that procedure, thumb on the near pivot and forefinger cradling the opposite side pivot. The Delica goes accurately where I will it.

I do like how that tiny drop at the end makes a stronger and more durable tip.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Ferruginous wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:59 am
I wish they'd offer G10 versions of the UKPK, black G10 with S30V and dark blue G10 with Spy27. I wouldn't buy one with a drop point blade though.
I’d take a regular production SPY27/G-10 UKPK in any blade shape they wanted (except sheepsfoot).
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

I'd prefer the drop point for the straight part of the blade; also, I have a good number of leaf-shaped blades already.