Where is Spydersaw?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mokele

Where is Spydersaw?

Post by mokele »

Didn't know this product existed until today. What a beautiful alternative to small Silky it is
Wartstein

Re: Where is Spydersaw?

Post by Wartstein »

Great you bring this up again! :smlling-eyes

I started at least two threads (actually polls) concerning a return of the Spydersaw - either "single bladed" or, even better, as part of a Dyad (so double bladed, including also a knife blade) - you could still participate in one or both poll(s), if you like

See here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87504

viewtopic.php?t=82630
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... and I may quote myself from one of that old threads, concerning where a Spydersaw would have its niche compared to even the smallest Silky (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87504#p1449325)

"Still imho the SpyderSawis rather unique (concerning pack size/packbulk and weight for the blade length you get) and would have its place in a special niche:

Size / weight:
The Spydersaw weighs only 3oz, but offers a 4.9" blad
The most comparable Silky Saw (Pocket boy 130) has twice the weight (6oz), while the blade is just a tiny fraction longer (5.1")
Also, while the Silky certainly will have better ergos in prolongued use due the rounded, more handfilling handle:
The Spydersaw should pack very slim due to ist flat handle scales, while being closed just a tad longer than lets say a Police 4

So: For the weight and probably size of a Sliky Pocket boy one could bring a Spydersaw AND lets say a Pac Salt... and so the Spydersaw should be great
- If weight and pack size is a concern,
- If one even just heads out with almost no package for doing a bit of bushcraft and firemaking and perhaps wants to carry folder and saw IN the pocket (and yes, the Spydersaw has a pocketclip!)
- If one throws the saw just in an emergency outdoor kit (again, a saw is very helpfull for making clutches, splints, shelters!)
- And: A doublebladed folder in Spydersaw-size (saw and knifeblade) would still be lighter and more compact than a comparable Silky SINGLE bladed saw"
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
mokele

Post by mokele »

Thank you! Casted my votes in both polls.
That's the tool great to have, and you have good arguments for it
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd still be interested, but the use I had for one left with my last job so it would be a yardwork toy now. In related news I just saw that Opinel makes a folding saw too, not sure how I overlooked that but I'm really considering it.
Last edited by Evil D on Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mokele wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:12 am
Thank you! Casted my votes in both polls.
That's the tool great to have, and you have good arguments for it

Thanks!

And once more thanks for bringing this up again!

Tbh: I don´t think we´ll see another Spydersaw, but the more it get´s talked about, the more of a (slight) chance for that still might be...
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Yet another day I'm able to check off on the "discovered a new (to me) Spyderco model" checkbox.

I wonder how many such days there could possibly be?

Anyhow, I'd be very happy to see this model make a return. I carry and use my Bahco Laplander on a bunch of backpacking trips and day hikes, and would be vary happy to have an even lighter and slimmer option.

With that said, I'd be surprised to see it return. The Bahco is a very good saw for the price, the price is very reasonable AND you get easily obtainable replacement blades for about half of that.
That's tough to compete against.