I’m an indecisive giant. Millie vs Chief!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

I’m an indecisive giant. Millie vs Chief!

Post by TheGiant80 »

Blurple S110V Millie vs Carbon/S90V Chief.

Forget that it’s me trying to decide. Which option do YOU like better?

As always, thank you for your input!
Mushroom

Re: I’m an indecisive giant. Millie vs Chief!

Post by Mushroom »

You already know the answer is both! ;)

But if you're gonna make me choose, I’d go with the S90V/CF Chief.
-Nick :bug-red
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

Oh I "like" the Chief! The arc of the handle and blade, while at the same time the stealth of the overall carry leads one to the Chief. Yet the Millie is an icon, the choice is to difficult to make.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I like the Millie a lot more, mainly because even when modded, the Chief’s handle feels blocky, and the tip appears even more delicate than the Millie’s. (Full disclosure: I’ve never harmed the tip of either knife.)

Also, and this puts me in a very small minority, I dislike the Chief’s looks. I realize that probably lost me any credibility I had.

A suggestion: Consider the CruWear Stretch 2 XL. A strong case could be made for it, as well.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:00 pm

Can´t really help you out, my friend, since I only have experience with the Millie, but none with the Chief (yet...).
(That said: If it was me who had to decide: Not much of a cf guy, one strong reason I´d probably get the Millie and not the Chief out of the particular versions you listed. And immediately come up with some tip up carry mod for the former, even more so if I had even bigger hands).

But let me bring up the "usual third (fourth, fifth... :winking-tongue ) option" threads like this always end up including anyway:

I know you really like the Stretch XL LW - did you think about getting the "heavyweight" Cruwear G10 variant of it?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

Both excellent. To me, the Military had the better ergos and blade shape and I love the way the linerlock works with this model.

The Chief has the nicer materials- I prefer S90V to S110V any day. The ergos and geometry are very good, but not my favorite between the two.

Tough choice, neither is wrong. I’m sorry, not helping much haha.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
brj

Post by brj »

I'd go with the Millie purely based on my strong bias against Spyderco's IMHO 'stupid' humongous choil used on the Chief and countless other models - but also agree with the above poster that S90V and CF trumps everything else in terms of materials used.

Last edited by brj on Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

It's been a while since I've used the Chief, but now that I have experienced both I think I like the Millie more.
There's one caveat to that preference. The Millie feels better in hand, which of course is a more charming attribute than something that feels better in pocket, which I think the Chief does. Charming features aren't always most important though.

I've never tried S110V so while I feel some pull towards it for having more newness and stain resistance (which I always tend to prefer), I think the good, ol', boring S30V could be the better choice for this one. Personal preference ofc, you do what's right for you.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

brj wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:27 am
I'd go with the Millie purely based on my strong bias against Spyderco's stupid humongous choil used on the Chief and countless other models -....

True, the choil is another real plus on the Millie for me - while I would not exactly say that the "modern", large Spyderco choils are "stupid", the more minimal Millie choil is better for my hand (like it more than for example the PM2 choil)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Buy the sprint first, it will not be around forever...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
brj

Post by brj »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:07 am
while I would not exactly say that the "modern", large Spyderco choils are "stupid"
disclaimer inserted in my original post :shush
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Just my personal preferences keep in mind.

I prefer the Chief in pocket much more. I prefer the Military in hand. I carry the Military way more. I like the ergos and lock more on the Military even though the Chief is great all around too. An oddly enough, for me if you really have to squeeze the handle, I think the Military has more hot spots. But for whatever reason, I still carry the Military more. I have the S110V version but only because I was able to get it at the time for less than the standard version. And I actually like the Blurple color. For typical pricing, I would much prefer the S30V variety on the Military.

If I had the opportunity between the 2 you mentioned and price was fairly equal, I would probably grab the Chief Sprint for the materials. Then get the Military in S30V down the road, but that is just me.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My current preferences actually lean towards the Chief, and that's after years of being a Military fanboy. I've come to prefer the flat spine no thumb ramp designs and I like the edge/belly profile more on the Chief. I actually like the grip area more on the Military but I think I do prefer the larger finger choil, if it's gonna be there it may as well lock my finger into place. I'm still seriously looking into making my own scales for a Chief, I'm just waiting for the time to work on it and *fingers crossed" a SE MagnaCut version to start with.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I would go with the Chief since it is a sprint and then follow up later with a Millie at your leisure. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
northmanscall

Post by northmanscall »

In case you haven't handled a Resilience in S35VN let me tell you:

The Military looks small compared to it.
I love it.

P. S. : can not send pictures because I am in the company bathroom.
:bug-red Stefan :bug-red
VipeX

Post by VipeX »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:00 pm

How about a 4v millie?
cjk

Post by cjk »

This:
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:15 pm
I know you really like the Stretch XL LW - did you think about getting the "heavyweight" Cruwear G10 variant of it?
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Can I suggest an option 3 - the CF S90V Yojumbo is an incredible knife and an utter joy to use.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Appreciate all the feedback guys.

As for the Stretch 2 XL Cruwear option, the lanyard tube issue people were having is a concern for me, especially considering the knife is pricier than the ones I listed initially.

I hadn't thought of the YoJumbo actually. I'll give it a closer look, but it seems to me that it'd be a massive pocket-hog.

Hit me with some more opinions folks!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Having had/have multiples of each model...though neither of those particular flavors of the models, I'd say for me...the easy choice is the Native Chief. Though I find the Military an iconic model, but Chief is just an easier carry and better ergonomically for myself. I'd also appreciate the combo of S90V/CF/backlock over S110V/Bruple G10/linerlock. The Chief wins all 3 of those categories as well.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick