I’m an indecisive giant. Millie vs Chief!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nonstainless

Re: I’m an indecisive giant. Millie vs Chief!

Post by nonstainless »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:48 am
Appreciate all the feedback guys.

As for the Stretch 2 XL Cruwear option, the lanyard tube issue people were having is a concern for me, especially considering the knife is pricier than the ones I listed initially.

I hadn't thought of the YoJumbo actually. I'll give it a closer look, but it seems to me that it'd be a massive pocket-hog.

Hit me with some more opinions folks!
What do you want to use it for mostly?
Edc? Chief.
Outdoor? Millie.
Anything? Police K390. :cheap-sunglasses
Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. L11:35
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just cause I am more and more planning on getting one myself now that they disco'ed it: ...Siren?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

If I'm working it's usually the military. Casual weekend stuff the chief. Not staying the chief wouldn't do well but the military is great with gloves on. I don't have as much time with the chief either.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I actually prefer the Endura to either one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:32 pm

+ 1.

The Endura will probably always remain "the" regular sized folder for me.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I had an S110V Military and a special kydex sheath made for it to draw the knife. I sold it to buy another Native Chief. I think the Native Chief is the best folder Spyderco makes for self defense. I did not dislike the Military at all, I liked it, I just like the Native Chief more.

Have been carrying my S90V Native Chief since the day that I received it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

Of the 2 choices I'd buy the Chief. Why? I find S110V a beast to sharpen and I'm not keen on blurple.

Both are excellent designs and I have both. If they were both standard production models in S30V I'd get the Mille.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Another point perhaps worth considering:

- The Chief seems to be a very popular model in the large Spydie arena, so more interesting variants / sprints / exclusives to choose from can be expected in the future.
It is also more of a "typical" Spyderco for these days (choil shape and size, backlock (the "typical" Spyderco most times has either a backlock or comp.lock, right?))

- While the Millie "1" inevitably will fade out more or less - even if it will not disappear completely (I am afraid it will eventually), most likely the Millie 2 will get the flavors in the future.
The Millie 1 is also a bit more of an outlier among the higher end Spydies (minimal, "old school" choil (which I personally love), linerlock)
And a model everyone who likes Spyderco should experience imo - the comfy ergos, how great a good linerlock really can be, and so on.

So perhaps NOW is the time for trying a Millie, the Chief-platform will most likely offer more interesting opportunities for that in the future - ?
Just a thought.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:56 pm
Another point perhaps worth considering:

- The Chief seems to be a very popular model in the large Spydie arena, so more interesting variants / sprints / exclusives to choose from can be expected in the future.
It is also more of a "typical" Spyderco for these days (choil shape and size, backlock (the "typical" Spyderco most times has either a backlock or comp.lock, right?))

- While the Millie "1" inevitably will fade out more or less - even if it will not disappear completely (I am afraid it will eventually), most likely the Millie 2 will get the flavors in the future.
The Millie 1 is also a bit more of an outlier among the higher end Spydies (minimal, "old school" choil (which I personally love), linerlock)
And a model everyone who likes Spyderco should experience imo - the comfy ergos, how great a good linerlock really can be, and so on.

So perhaps NOW is the time for trying a Millie, the Chief-platform will most likely offer more interesting opportunities for that in the future - ?
Just a thought.
I would expect the military to be discontinued, so it's time to get one if you're a collector. I just don't see the military surviving when the military 2 has a MSRP that's $60 lower.
I've been thinking of picking up the S110V military while I still can.

If you're not a collector, the military doesn't seem like a great option. The chief is smaller in the pocket, has much better clip options and is significantly cheaper. Unless you really like liner locks, I'd say go for the chief now or wait for the military 2.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

While the Military has almost as much handle as the Native Chief, it feels much more natural in hand and allows a significantly more secure "long hold" than the Chief. I do feel that the Chief has an advantage in grip security when used in the forward grip, but that's the only edge it has IMO.

I don't regret owning a Chief, but it's one of the few Spydies I won't at least contemplate getting a second example of.

You might consider the Manix XL as well...
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
vivi

Post by vivi »

awa54 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:51 pm
. I do feel that the Chief has an advantage in grip security when used in the forward grip, but that's the only edge it has IMO.
Four way clip, thinner BTE, much more compact when closed, much more comfortable when choked up......Chief offers a lot more than grip security in this context....
:unicorn
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread folks. Thanks for all the commentary.

I feel I'm no closer to making a decision than when I first posted this unfortunately. Perhaps I should flip a coin?

(Also, I invite more input if you've got some!)
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I decided to pull the trigger on a S110V Millie, so I've got a bit more to add.

The Military's design feels really unrefined compared to more modern spyderco knives. You just have to look at the Military 2 to see what's changed over the years. I'm also not a huge fan of the liner lock cutout. It's a bit uncomfortable to grip and not really necessary.

I'd say buy the Chief unless you have an affinity for liner locks. If you're collecting, buy the Millie now and the Chief later.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:15 am
I feel I'm no closer to making a decision than when I first posted this unfortunately. Perhaps I should flip a coin?
No bad choices here. Either will serve you well.

Years ago I chased after all the super steels (and often still do), regardless of looks or handle materials. These days I am a bit more diserning. A model has to be soft on the eye too... When in doubt, I pick the prettier one! :winking-tongue

Both steels are very similar. Blurple G10 vs CF. No contest! CF all day long...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vandelay wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:54 am
The Military's design feels really unrefined compared to more modern spyderco knives. You just have to look at the Military 2 to see what's changed over the years. I'm also not a huge fan of the liner lock cutout. It's a bit uncomfortable to grip and not really necessary.

Highly debatable, clearly subjective.

Probably the Millie feels less like what people got used to these days with Spyderco, perhaps in some aspects actually really less like what "the majority" prefers.

On the flipside: A lot of praise particularly for its very refined and extremely comfortable ergos.

For me (and I think here I probably AM in a minority) a choil almost can't get any better than on the Millie, gives great control, does not sacrifice a lot of edge: Perfect. In my view the pm2-ish choil is, while still good, a "downgrade".

Linerlock cutout: Well, being like it is contributes a lot to the superior usability with gloves and I personally find a comp.lock cutout to be more of an ergo "issue" in hard use.

Just my 2c. As most times: No right or wrong here. :smlling-eyes :clinking-mugs
miohin

Post by miohin »

I don't have a Chief or Military, so can't contribute on that front.

The one big knife I have bought - Yojumbo.

Was expecting it to be an absolute pocket hog, but is actually barely any wider than a Manix or Endura in the pocket:

The scales are ABSOLUTELY pocket shredders though (as is frequently mentioned). Also, unfortunately appears the S90V sprint is basically gone.
Lurker
olywa

Post by olywa »

I have a blurple Millie that I modded with micarta scales in a tip up config. It's easily the most comfortable and ergonomic large folder I own, no matter how I hold it.

I also have a g10 Chief but rarely carry it. I think I'm going to love it in the the LW FRN config but the g10 just doesn't do it for me.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:35 am
vandelay wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:54 am

Highly debatable, clearly subjective.

Probably the Millie feels less like what people got used to these days with Spyderco, perhaps in some aspects actually really less like what "the majority" prefers.
I'd imagine the ergonomic changes made to the Military 2 are based on market research, so it's probably what the majority prefers.

There are also a lot of minor quirks like how the blade tang sticks out when you open the knife, bulging pivot screws, etc. that you wouldn't see on a modern spyderco.
Wartstein wrote:
On the flipside: A lot of praise particularly for its very refined and extremely comfortable ergos.

For me (and I think here I probably AM in a minority) a choil almost can't get any better than on the Millie, gives great control, does not sacrifice a lot of edge: Perfect. In my view the pm2-ish choil is, while still good, a "downgrade".
I find the pointier modern choils a lot more comfortable. I can put more backward force on them to lock the knife into my hand and they work as a hand top when my index finger is behind the choil.

I actually find the native series choils tend to be more comfortable than even the PM2 because of the larger point.
Wartstein wrote:
Linerlock cutout: Well, being like it is contributes a lot to the superior usability with gloves and I personally find a comp.lock cutout to be more of an ergo "issue" in hard use.
I've never had a liner lock with a cutout before and I never found my previous ones to be hard to use with gloves.
I really dislike the feel of this asymmetric cutout right where I grip the knife
Wartstein wrote:
Just my 2c. As most times: No right or wrong here. :smlling-eyes :clinking-mugs
I don't think it's a bad knife at all. I just think a lot's been improved since it was designed. :clinking-mugs
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Doc Dan wrote:
+1

The K390 endura is my favorite Do-All knife. Knifecenter has one in 20CV for about $20 less if you want stainless.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

electro-static wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:58 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
+1

The K390 endura is my favorite Do-All knife. Knifecenter has one in 20CV for about $20 less if you want stainless.
Knifejoy has a 20CV Endura that is almost worth buying for the color alone.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050