Native 5 Salt MagnaCut question…

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

Native 5 Salt MagnaCut question…

Post by jmj3esq »

Does anyone know what steel the back lock and spring are made of on the new Native 5 Salt MagnaCut? I assume it’s just stainless but am wondering if they were also made from the same steel.
z1r

Re: Native 5 Salt MagnaCut question…

Post by z1r »

I would think/hope they are also Magnacut, otherwise they'd be more prone to rust/corrosion. But, then again, that may be why they are coated?
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

Since we know that LC200N interfacing with itself causes galvanic corrosion, and, that the final holdup with the MagNative was lock interfacing issues, I wonder this myself. But I doubt we'll get an answer, trade secrets being what they are, and just as a guess I also doubt the lockbar or spring are made from MagnaCut.

But maybe it happened the other way around! LC200N has a bad case of "stop hitting yourself", but perhaps MagnaCut dug its feet in and demanded to be interfaced with itself?
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

What's wrong with LC200N, however judging from the delay, perhaps Vanax.
javemtr

Post by javemtr »

z1r wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:55 am
I would think/hope they are also Magnacut, otherwise they'd be more prone to rust/corrosion. But, then again, that may be why they are coated?
The lockbar is not coated on any of the recent videos/pictures.
z1r

Post by z1r »

javemtr wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:19 pm
z1r wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:55 am
The lockbar is not coated on any of the recent videos/pictures.
You are right. I have one in hand but misremembered. My older salts all had uncoated hardware. My newest all have coated hardware and I was inadvertently including the lockbar. Gad you made me grab mine out of the drawer. It's just so nice.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Spicy Suplex kinda answered already, but this topic might bring some light too, Chad (Xplorer) explained how he does it, and there is some interesting comments from other members and Sal himself.

viewtopic.php?t=76199
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 pm
Hi Gunsandknives,

Welcome to our forum.

As mentioned, that's not info that we like to give out. I will say that it depends a lot on the steel in the blade (different steels require different lock materials), the type of lock and interface, and hardness (they're all hardened Darby).

sal
Michael Janich wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:59 am
Dear EnduraNCE:

Although this is an old thread, the definitive answer, per Sal, is in here and is still the same:

"I will say that it depends a lot on the steel in the blade (different steels require different lock materials), the type of lock and interface, and hardness..."

Stay safe,

Mike

Probably not the answers you seek, but as Sal said in 2017, it's proprietary, especially for the Salt line.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet