No liners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Car55SCO

No liners

Post by Car55SCO »

I have a PM2 with aluminum scales that doesn’t have liners but want to put aftermarket scales on what can I do?
p_atrick

Re: No liners

Post by p_atrick »

I assume this is the BladeHQ exclusive. As far as I know, all aftermarket scales assume the existence of liners. I believe somebody made one that deletes one liner, but expected the one with compression lock. I believe BladeHQ also did a copper or brass scale with Rex45. Those are the only models that have the compression lock as a separate leaf as opposed to integral to the liner. I am not, however, an expert on these things. Is it the scale texture that has you looking to change?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

My belief is that you would be better trading your PM2 for another with liners and then buy one of the widely available set of scales made for it.

The aluminium scales on that PM2 have not been replicated by "big" custom scales makers. You could find someone to make a set especially for you, but even if anyone accepts to do it, it'll cost big bucks.

You could also ask someone to modify and re-anodize your scales if you want a different texture or look :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Car55SCO wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:04 pm
I have a PM2 with aluminum scales that doesn’t have liners but want to put aftermarket scales on what can I do?
The compression lock requires at least a partial liner, right? There’s no way the aluminum is acting as the lock wedge.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:06 am
There’s no way the aluminum is acting as the lock wedge.

Correct. Not the best photo, but if you zoom in a bit you can see the steel leaf nested in the aluminum scale.

cjk

Post by cjk »

Car55SCO wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:04 pm
The solution is you get a different PM2. sorry. :smlling-eyes
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:06 am
There’s no way the aluminum is acting as the lock wedge.

Correct. Not the best photo, but if you zoom in a bit you can see the steel leaf nested in the aluminum scale.

That makes sense, like how a G-10 Military has a partial liner functioning as the liner lock.