NKD: Stretch 2 XL Cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: NKD: Stretch 2 XL Cruwear

Post by Wartstein »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:26 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:06 am
Not a sprint, right?
Correct , but if like past more refined Stretch models , I would not count on a long life span . MG2

If it had a comparable price to the Millie 2 (and keep in mind, the "2" will cost less than the "1") the G10 Stretch XL could perhaps become kind of the "Millie" for those who don´t necessarily want a comp.lock (or don´t want a linerlock!) and so have a "backlock Millie".

Don´t get me wrong, I am 100% certain it is worth every cent, but the 340 Euro (equals to almost 370 USD) one has to pay here in Europe are still quite a lot of money (a Millie "1" can be had here for 100 Euros less)
To be honest though: I am still thinking about getting one myself: Love my LW so much, that having a "tank version" of it has its appeal (and I could even "live" with PE in this case ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:30 pm
the G10 Stretch XL could perhaps become kind of the "Millie" for those who don´t necessarily want a comp.lock (or don´t want a linerlock!) and so have a "backlock Millie".
This crazy imagining is why I just ordered the G10 Stretch2 XL from SFO.

Its blade-shape is more like the original Military Model than is the blade-shape of the Military2. The latter’s blade-shape is more like a PM2, but longer.

So, for the voices in my head, I’ll think of the G10 Stretch2 XL as my unofficial Military2, and of the official Military2 as my unofficial PM2 XL.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Seki City can still do a first class premium knife.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:
the G10 Stretch XL could perhaps become kind of the "Millie" for those who don´t necessarily want a comp.lock (or don´t want a linerlock!) and so have a "backlock Millie".
You'll not regret it. Mine is in my pocket right now and, strangely, I was just thinking about how much like the Military it is, except it's a tad heavier, much thinner, much shorter, carries smaller, has a 4-position clip, and has a 0.7mm thinner blade, a big positive difference IMO. And, of course, a backlock, the only lock I prefer to a liner lock. To me, it has better ergos than the Millie, which is saying a lot. It has a backspacer, so it's harder to clean, but I've never found that to be a problem. I believe it is an objectively better knife than the Millie.

It pains me to say that, because the Millie is my all-time favorite knife. Too much history with it.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Its blade-shape is more like the original Military Model than is the blade-shape of the Military2. The latter’s blade-shape is more like a PM2, but longer.

So, for the voices in my head, I’ll think of the G10 Stretch2 XL as my unofficial Military2, and of the official Military2 as my unofficial PM2 XL.

No secret that I feel that "Para 4" / "PM 2 XL" would have been an even better fitting name for the Millie 2 in my humble opinion, so I totally get your point.

One thing I keep like to point out though, since I am always wondering why so few seem to be noticing it (or seem to think that this makes any difference): The long, completely straight edge section of all Stretch variants, as opposed to the continuous curve in the Para - family edge.
For me this makes for a real difference - at least on the "detail" level things get discussed here.
The straight edge gives the Stretch partly a "wharnie quality", in the way Michael Janich explains in its great "evolution of the wharncliff" vid (so that the full power of the cut is transferred better on this straight egde (section), while "curved" edges certainly have their own advantages).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
If it had a comparable price to the Millie 2 (and keep in mind, the "2" will cost less than the "1") the G10 Stretch XL could perhaps become kind of the "Millie" for those who don´t necessarily want a comp.lock (or don´t want a linerlock!) and so have a "backlock Millie".

Don´t get me wrong, I am 100% certain it is worth every cent, but the 340 Euro (equals to almost 370 USD) one has to pay here in Europe are still quite a lot of money (a Millie "1" can be had here for 100 Euros less)
To be honest though: I am still thinking about getting one myself: Love my LW so much, that having a "tank version" of it has its appeal (and I could even "live" with PE in this case ;) )
I am weak and still bought one, even with the same reflection as you running in my mind for a couple of months ! Lamnia has them for 320 Euros. It's not a big discount compared to other places, but it's better. It's my big buy for June, well the only one except the Ti scales for the Native 5 RGT is making at 35% off right now !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Has anyone attempted using one of the green RIT colors to dye the gray scales olive green or sage green?
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:53 pm
This came today. It is a glorious beast.
Sweet, may it serve you well.
Edit: Dang, I already responded to this thread. :shush
Last edited by mongo1958 on Mon May 29, 2023 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Wartstein wrote:
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:26 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:06 am
Not a sprint, right?
Correct , but if like past more refined Stretch models , I would not count on a long life span . MG2

I think you are right. The Stretch 2 looks a lot like a Para 2 only in a Light Weight package. The Stretch 2 XL also looks a lot like the Military 2 but in a Light Weigh package as well. But, instead of Comp Locks they have a Back Lock.
I came close to getting the Stretch 2 XL but I went for the P4 for the longer blade instead.
Mongo1958
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 12:50 pm
Wartstein wrote:

I am weak and still bought one, even with the same reflection as you running in my mind for a couple of months ! Lamnia has them for 320 Euros. It's not a big discount compared to other places, but it's better. It's my big buy for June, well the only one except the Ti scales for the Native 5 RGT is making at 35% off right now !
Congratulations!
Mongo1958