An underestimated and overlooked edc gem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

An underestimated and overlooked edc gem

Post by elena86 »

I give you ... the Spyderco Salt2 in plain edge. This baby displaced most of my plain edge Delicas and I tell you why. That hollow ground H1 blade cuts like a dream. It is thinner behind the edge than the usual ffg Delica, believe it or not, and that hollow ground blade with that almost straight edge is a superb matter separator. I only wish the hollow grind was sligthly higher but even so I am a happy camper. Speaking of hollow grinds I only wish Spyderco releases more thin high hollow grind blades. Of course I am a H1 spyderedge fanatic but when it comes to plain edges I would rather grab a Salt2 for my mundane daily chores instead of many other ffg blades. I know, I know, H1 in plain edge doesn't ''shine'' when it comes to edge retention but you you know what ? ...I bet it is good enough for the average user and I don't want to open that can of worms once more. H1 touches and sharpens like a dream... it takes a stupid sharp edge in no time and keeps it long enough. My pic is with an old Salt1 moded to my liking but you got the idea.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
p_atrick

Re: An underestimated and overlooked edc gem

Post by p_atrick »

It’ll be interesting to see how this knife compares to the HP Delica.
vivi

Post by vivi »

My Pacific Salt PE goes a month or two between touch-ups, and still cuts ok by the time I decide to sharpen it. PE H1 does ok for day to day stuff.
:unicorn
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Yep. H1 on me 99% of the time, mostly PE.
MNOSD member 0011
z1r

Post by z1r »

Oddly, I don't much care for the Delica but I picked up a green LC200 Salt 2 and love it. I'm hoping that Thursday's acquisition finds as much favor. I minute on the white stones and this thing was slicey!

dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I picked up a PE Salt 2 from Amazon Japan, after someone posted the link in the Crazy Deals thread. I don't know if Spyderco sharpens them differently for the Japanese market (box and paperwork were in Japanese), but it arrived with bevels that were around 12.5 - 13°, near as I could measure.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

No way that’s slicier than an FFG D4, IMO
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i don't have a salt, but i have a pacific and i really love it. i agree the hollow grind is wonderful and the toughness and corrosion resistance of h1 both demand to be tested with work. the salt series really separates spyderco from other manufacturers for me.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yep. Salt 2 has been my only EDC for a good number of years now. Prefer it to the Delica (lighter and simpler without liners). I prefer the FFG in LC200N… would be great to get it in MagnaCut maybe someday, but honestly, LC200N is just fine for most daily tasks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a Dragonfly Salt in plain edge and it does cut well. The edge dulls quickly, depending on what is being cut. Basically though, it is a no worries knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I bought my H1 PE Salt 2 before this forum convinced me that SE was a viable alternative, and before that I had a H1 PE Pac Salt 1 for a couple of years (that I unfortunately sold). Despite word on the streets (of the inter webs) saying H1 needs to be SE to have reasonable edge retention I’ve been happy with mine.
I go back and forth between my H1 PE and LC FFG, but lately I’ve been carrying the H1 more. It’s a very capable slicer.

If I didn’t lurk around on different knife and EDC related forums I wouldn’t even know that H1 PE is supposedly underwhelming, and I would guess that most owners/potential owners hasn’t been exposed to this “insight” and isn’t predisposed to underestimate it or overlook it.

That Salt 1 looks good. Wouldn’t mind trying one if the chance presents itself, but I don’t sweat it. My 3 Salt 2’s are serving me well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just wish they could do hollow grinds about 2x higher.

I do get all warm and fuzzy over the old FRN patterns and barrel bolt clips.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:25 am

They do on the H1 DFly, right? At least higher, though probably not 2 x? (Never had one, so I can't tell).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:40 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:25 am

They do on the H1 DFly, right? At least higher, though probably not 2 x? (Never had one, so I can't tell).

It is strangely higher than most. I just feel like full or even ~75% hollow grinds are an untapped feature. I guess maybe it's difficult to do it standard production or they don't have wheels with radiuses that large.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this is why i want to try the gb2 also. definitely not a salt, but i'm a fan of hg knives. i'm starting to dream of a manix with a high hollow grind.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

The Salt 2 is fantastic! It has gradually taken over most of my pocket time when I'm not at work. I love that knife. :-)
Petrichor

Post by Petrichor »

Does anyone have any comparison pictures between these hollow ground H1 salts and the full flat ground delicas/LC200n salts? I’m always on the lookout for nice thinly ground knives. The only H1 knife I have is a ladybug hawksbill, and it’s ground much thicker behind the edge than my K390 delica wharcliffe.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Petrichor wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:26 pm
Does anyone have any comparison pictures between these hollow ground H1 salts and the full flat ground delicas/LC200n salts? I’m always on the lookout for nice thinly ground knives. The only H1 knife I have is a ladybug hawksbill, and it’s ground much thicker behind the edge than my K390 delica wharcliffe.
I could only take a comparison pic between the H1 Pac Salt and two ffg Enduras (so basically the XL versions of Salt / Delica)
The Pac Salt is in SE, the Enduras are in PE though.

Could also throw an ffg Salt 2 (SE) and Delica (PE) in the mix.

Don't think that would help with your question about thickness bte though, right? (Actually no pic would -?)

But perhaps bumping your post will! ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Petrichor

Post by Petrichor »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:19 am
I could only take a comparison pic between the H1 Pac Salt and two ffg Enduras (so basically the XL versions of Salt / Delica)
The Pac Salt is in SE, the Enduras are in PE though.

Could also throw an ffg Salt 2 (SE) and Delica (PE) in the mix.

Don't think that would help with your question about thickness bte though, right? (Actually no pic would -?)

But perhaps bumping your post will! ;)

Thanks for the bump! Any comparison pics would be much appreciated!

I feel like tip pics give a decent sense of the grind of most knives, although any views you think would be helpful would be great. I took a couple of pics of my Ladybug hawksbill, Delica wharncliffe K390, and Kershaw Blur SG2. The Ladybug is ground much thicker than the Delica...maybe thats just a hawkbill thing? I threw in the Blur for fun because its got the thinnest hollow grind of any of my knives. Hopefully I can actually get these pics to post :zany