Are there any Spyderco knives with convex edges?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Are there any Spyderco knives with convex edges?

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve been considering buying a BRK Bravo 1.25 or 1.5 for a while, partly for the size and partly for a convex grind off the shelf. The thing is I’d really prefer a Spyderco all things being equal, so was wondering if there has ever been (or plans to be) a Spyderco fixed blade with a convex edge?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Mushroom

Re: Are there any Spyderco knives with convex edges?

Post by Mushroom »

The Zoomer is currently the only production knife from Spyderco that uses a “Hamaguri” (convex) grind.

The LionSpy and Lil LionSpy also used convex edges but those are long discontinued.
-Nick :bug-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:15 pm
I’ve been considering buying a BRK Bravo 1.25 or 1.5 for a while, partly for the size and partly for a convex grind off the shelf. The thing is I’d really prefer a Spyderco all things being equal, so was wondering if there has ever been (or plans to be) a Spyderco fixed blade with a convex edge?
Buy the Bravo. Buy the LT version. Nothing else cuts through green wood like a BRK convex grind.

Careful though, they’re almost as addictive as Spydercos.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:38 pm
The Zoomer is currently the only production knife from Spyderco that uses a “Hamaguri” (convex) grind.

The LionSpy and Lil LionSpy also used convex edges but those are long discontinued.
Thanks Mushroom - the Zoomer had passed me by somehow 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:05 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Buy the Bravo. Buy the LT version. Nothing else cuts through green wood like a BRK convex grind.

That is a nice selection/collection of knives you’ve got yourself there sir! What is the advantage of the LT over the standard model? I’d be using it at work to prune and graft plants, chop up large ornamental ginger stems and make comical amounts of tinder/feather sticks.
- Al

Dream knives -
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

Spyderco Moran has had a convex grind. I don't know if it currently does.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:37 am
kennethsime wrote:
JoviAl wrote:

That is a nice selection/collection of knives you’ve got yourself there sir! What is the advantage of the LT over the standard model? I’d be using it at work to prune and graft plants, chop up large ornamental ginger stems and make comical amounts of tinder/feather sticks.
The LT models use thinner blade stock. Some Bark Rivers are real thick. The top knife in my photo is a Bravo 1.25 LT, and it still lops off branches as thick as my thumb no problem.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kennethsime wrote:
JoviAl wrote:

Dang man someone asked "how much belly do you need" and that third knife up from the bottom just answered "yes".
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

****, quite the lineup Ken!! I remember a few years back when SG, Julia, Darby and yourself were posting these BRK's like crazy and I nearly fell down that hole myself. For whatever reason, I never grabbed one though. Something about BRK's just scream quality and excellence. Probably why I was scared to grab "one" haha.

More to the OP's question...once you free hand shapren a knife, if that's your method, you'll end up with a convex edge.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:08 am
****, quite the lineup Ken!! I remember a few years back when SG, Julia, Darby and yourself were posting these BRK's like crazy and I nearly fell down that hole myself. For whatever reason, I never grabbed one though. Something about BRK's just scream quality and excellence. Probably why I was scared to grab "one" haha.

More to the OP's question...once you free hand shapren a knife, if that's your method, you'll end up with a convex edge.
I can freehand sharpen passibly no problem, but have been using my KME almost exclusively for the last year or so as it’s quick and easily repeatable for my work tools. I’ve considered purposefully putting a convex on a para3 just to see how it behaved, but not gotten round to it yet (I fell down the mule handles rabbit hole 🤦🏼‍♂️).

Those BRK bravos do look extremely tempting! The 1.5 is singing its siren song to me on DLT at the moment…
- Al

Dream knives -
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've got a couple of BRKs and LT Wrights with convex edges. Great edge for general outdoor use. I only sharpen them on sandpaper over a mousepad.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

olywa wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:59 am
I've got a couple of BRKs and LT Wrights with convex edges. Great edge for general outdoor use. I only sharpen them on sandpaper over a mousepad.
That’s a smart idea!
- Al

Dream knives -
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

olywa wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:59 am
I’ve only had to strop so far. As long as I do so after a weekend of use, they keep their edge real well. I did pick up some 2,000-grit sandpaper and rubber bands to mount on the strap, but the mousepad idea is really good. I wonder if they still sell those? Been awhile since I owned one!

Sidebar, I wish the convex LTWKs were more readily-available. I think I would have quite a few of his knives by now if I could find them with convex grinds.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

kennethsime wrote:
JoviAl wrote:

I see you have the MagnaCut one too
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
olywa

Post by olywa »

DLT, TKC, and KSF all carry LT Wrights with convex edges.

Re the mousepad, Amazon has dozens that are usually under $10. I recommend one about 1/4" thick with at least 9" on one side. The 3.66 x 9 wet/dry 3M sandpaper is usually available at any auto parts store. I use grits from 320 to 2000.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:08 am
I’d like to start practicing this. I have it in my head that the Shaman would do really well with a convex edge.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:13 am
JoviAl wrote:
I see you have the MagnaCut one too
They have a few models in Magnacut now, this one is the Bushcraft Scout. Really thin the edge for a convex knife. They have a new Ultralite Field Knife that looks great too - same handle, but more of a harpoon/clip point blade.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would personally be careful with the mousepad method so that you don’t round out your apex. See at what angle your edge bites into something to give you an idea if you are over rounding your apex. I would try making a concave abrasive surface like you can get on some sharpening kits. I like the idea of having abrasive on the inside of a ring to control the convex removal of metal.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:43 pm
I would personally be careful with the mousepad method so that you don’t round out your apex. See at what angle your edge bites into something to give you an idea if you are over rounding your apex. I would try making a concave abrasive surface like you can get on some sharpening kits. I like the idea of having abrasive on the inside of a ring to control the convex removal of metal.
Speaking of adapters for kits, has anyone tried the KME convexing rod? I’m tempted as I like the rapid repeatability it gives - I often watch YouTube while sharpening with my KME, which I can’t do while freehanding.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

kennethsime wrote:
JoviAl wrote:

I don’t suppose you might have a picture of the Bravo 1.25 next to a spyderco mule for size reference perchance? I’m torn between the 1.25 and the 1.5 for work, but am mindful that I’m getting into what most passers by might consider ‘small scary sword’ territory with the bravo 1.5 (or even the bravo 2).
- Al

Dream knives -