Are there any Spyderco knives with convex edges?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Are there any Spyderco knives with convex edges?

Post by kennethsime »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:15 pm
I don’t suppose you might have a picture of the Bravo 1.25 next to a spyderco mule for size reference perchance? I’m torn between the 1.25 and the 1.5 for work, but am mindful that I’m getting into what most passers by might consider ‘small scary sword’ territory with the bravo 1.5 (or even the bravo 2).
The 1.25LT was my first BRK, and still probably my favorite when “small scary sword” territory isn’t an issue.

The handle is more generous, hand-filling, and obviously the length is about 1.5” more.

The blade stock is significantly thicker, as is the grind.

The 1.25 is 5”, the 1.5 is 5.8”, and the Bravo 2 is 7” (same size as the USMC Fighting Knife).

So, your 1.5 would be just under halfway between these two. Blade stock is close enough: 0.156 for the Bravo 1.25LT, 0.165 for the KABAR. The non-LT version would be thicker.

Here’s a shot with some folders, too.

For a camp knife, I don’t think you can really go wrong here.

If you’re thinking about an EDC, the Bravo 1 LT and the Gunny Hunter LT or the Gunny Sidekick are really great options. All are around 4”. The NC EDC, Ultralite Bushcrafter, and PSK EDC are also very popular EDCs.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:52 pm
Those BRK are some really nice looking blade$

I’ve looked many times and came close to putting a deposit on a custom one last year. So many configurations!

The main thing that held me back is the fact that I have no idea how to sharpen a convex grind lol.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

kennethsime wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:15 pm
I don’t suppose you might have a picture of the Bravo 1.25 next to a spyderco mule for size reference perchance? I’m torn between the 1.25 and the 1.5 for work, but am mindful that I’m getting into what most passers by might consider ‘small scary sword’ territory with the bravo 1.5 (or even the bravo 2).
The 1.25LT was my first BRK, and still probably my favorite when “small scary sword” territory isn’t an issue.

The handle is more generous, hand-filling, and obviously the length is about 1.5” more.

The blade stock is significantly thicker, as is the grind.

The 1.25 is 5”, the 1.5 is 5.8”, and the Bravo 2 is 7” (same size as the USMC Fighting Knife).

So, your 1.5 would be just under halfway between these two. Blade stock is close enough: 0.156 for the Bravo 1.25LT, 0.165 for the KABAR. The non-LT version would be thicker.

Here’s a shot with some folders, too.

For a camp knife, I don’t think you can really go wrong here.

If you’re thinking about an EDC, the Bravo 1 LT and the Gunny Hunter LT or the Gunny Sidekick are really great options. All are around 4”. The NC EDC, Ultralite Bushcrafter, and PSK EDC are also very popular EDCs.
Thanks Kenneth, much appreciated. I’m looking to fill the gap between my mule and my machetes. Something in the 5-6inch range that will be used for protracted periods of time pruning and defoliating jungle flora when I manage my Forest School site in between sessions. I carry a serrated folding knife for dirty jobs like opening sacks of sand/compost/whatever, and I usually have a PE folder in a thigh pocket for any clean tasks like food prep for groups of children, etc. The BRK would specifically be for lopping small branches, chopping up torch and blue ginger stems (they grow almost faster than you can cut them down here), plus whittling, processing organic matter to be mulched, etc. basically anything that doesn’t absolutely require a machete, as they’re a swine to carry around and constantly in the way.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’m currently torn between the bravo 1.25 in 3v, the 1.25 LT in cruwear or the slighly shorter but great looking cub in 3v. The ultra lite field knife is very nice too if a bit short. I love my Spyderco’s but my mule is just that bit too short for what I’m doing with it, and I would never willingly abuse a well made tool when there is something more fit for purpose available. I love my Spydies - I don’t want to damage them from being a jack*#s with them.
- Al

Dream knives -
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:52 am
I’m currently torn between the bravo 1.25 in 3v, the 1.25 LT in cruwear or the slighly shorter but great looking cub in 3v. The ultra lite field knife is very nice too if a bit short. I love my Spyderco’s but my mule is just that bit too short for what I’m doing with it, and I would never willingly abuse a well made tool when there is something more fit for purpose available. I love my Spydies - I don’t want to damage them from being a jack*#s with them.
I would probably go for 3V for your use case outlined above. They're close, but their 3V is softer, tougher, and more stainless. Then again, the latest batch of Cruwears just dropped, and the 3Vs are probably a few weeks out.

I use my Bravo 1.25LT for limbing the Christmas tree every year - stuff up to my thumb or so is one good swipe (or three bad ones). It's not quite an axe, but then it's much easier to carry around.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:21 pm
kennethsime wrote:

I’ve looked many times and came close to putting a deposit on a custom one last year. So many configurations!

The main thing that held me back is the fact that I have no idea how to sharpen a convex grind lol.
Three options:
- Strop w/compound
- Sandpaper on a mousepad (shoutout to u/olywa mentioning this earlier in the thread)
- KME w/Convex Rod

Just do it, no regrets!

mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

olywa wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:59 am
I've got a couple of BRKs and LT Wrights with convex edges. Great edge for general outdoor use. I only sharpen them on sandpaper over a mousepad.
???😳
Say what?
I need to look that one up.
EDIT:
WOW!
https://youtu.be/GqYfDnEHpTQ
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:26 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:21 pm
kennethsime wrote:

Three options:
- Strop w/compound
- Sandpaper on a mousepad (shoutout to u/olywa mentioning this earlier in the thread)
- KME w/Convex Rod

Just do it, no regrets!
Oh I didn’t know KME had a convex rod. Thanks, I’m going to have to look into this further.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:22 am
JoviAl wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:52 am
I would probably go for 3V for your use case outlined above. They're close, but their 3V is softer, tougher, and more stainless. Then again, the latest batch of Cruwears just dropped, and the 3Vs are probably a few weeks out.

I use my Bravo 1.25LT for limbing the Christmas tree every year - stuff up to my thumb or so is one good swipe (or three bad ones). It's not quite an axe, but then it's much easier to carry around.
I’ve decided to pick up a cub in 3V to try out as I really like the handle design, then maybe pick up the thicker bladed Bravo 1.25 or 1.5 if I love the cub. Bizarrely I can get a bravo 1.5 in 3V off Lamnia cheaper than a 1.25 or cub from the States due to the free shipping. Thanks for your input Kenneth, much appreciated 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:25 am
I’ve decided to pick up a cub in 3V to try out as I really like the handle design, then maybe pick up the thicker bladed Bravo 1.25 or 1.5 if I love the cub. Bizarrely I can get a bravo 1.5 in 3V off Lamnia cheaper than a 1.25 or cub from the States due to the free shipping. Thanks for your input Kenneth, much appreciated 👍🏻
Oooph, the Cub is a beast! I bet that swell at the end of the handle will really help for swinging + chopping tasks. Be sure to post your thoughts over in the Bark River Knives thread!

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:16 am
JoviAl wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:25 am
Oooph, the Cub is a beast! I bet that swell at the end of the handle will really help for swinging + chopping tasks. Be sure to post your thoughts over in the Bark River Knives thread!
Thanks 🙏🏻 I’ll take a look. I picked up a PW Custom fixed blade yesterday too, so I’m looking forward to comparing the two.
- Al

Dream knives -