Unnecessary (yet completely necessary) knife use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
im25feetup

Re: Unnecessary (yet completely necessary) knife use

Post by im25feetup »

When I do any outdoor activity, I vacuum seal all of my food and sensitive gear. This really comes in handy for float trips. Ziplock bags never keep food dry, but vacuum bags do. And they give me another "excuse" to use a knife.

When hunting, I cut open protein bar's packaging while up in a tree. Much quieter.

I zip tie any set of things that need to stay together while outdoors, to be seperated later with a knife. I'll zip tie things to my pack that I need access to, but don't want to stash away. I zip tie sets of gloves together if they do not already have a method of attachment.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:18 am
Toothpick.
This. Ladybug Hawkbill has no equal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi 25feetup,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

I remember reading a poem about 75 year ago;

"I eat my peas with honey. I've done it all of my life. It may sound kind of funny, but it keeps them on my knife'.

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

im25feetup wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:17 am
When I do any outdoor activity, I vacuum seal all of my food and sensitive gear. This really comes in handy for float trips. Ziplock bags never keep food dry, but vacuum bags do. And they give me another "excuse" to use a knife.

When hunting, I cut open protein bar's packaging while up in a tree. Much quieter.

I zip tie any set of things that need to stay together while outdoors, to be seperated later with a knife. I'll zip tie things to my pack that I need access to, but don't want to stash away. I zip tie sets of gloves together if they do not already have a method of attachment.
That vacuum sealing idea is genius! I’ve dabbled with ultra distance running for two decades but never found a reliable way of keeping emergency things dry in my pouches or vest packs (they’re never waterproof). It’s especially bad now I’m in the tropics. How does one go about vacuum sealing things?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:11 pm
I remember reading a poem about 75 year ago;

"I eat my peas with honey. I've done it all of my life. It may sound kind of funny, but it keeps them on my knife'.

sal
That really tickled me! 😂 cunning too!
- Al

Dream knives -
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:49 pm
How does one go about vacuum sealing things?
They are relatively cheap. Just search for a home vacuum sealer available shipped to you (ali express or amazon definitely has some). They are great and very easy to use. 100% waterproof as long as you ensure a good seal (i.e. without creases, and double seal if you really want to be sure). all bags are the same. just buy rolls for cheap and make your own custom sizes.

My favorite unnecessary use is cutting small nits off my wool shirt with a super sharp blade. If you pull them they pull more yarn and perpetuate the problem, but if you cut them its nice and smooth
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ovgcguy wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:12 pm
JoviAl wrote:
They are relatively cheap. Just search for a home vacuum sealer available shipped to you (ali express or amazon definitely has some). They are great and very easy to use. 100% waterproof as long as you ensure a good seal (i.e. without creases, and double seal if you really want to be sure). all bags are the same. just buy rolls for cheap and make your own custom sizes.

My favorite unnecessary use is cutting small nits off my wool shirt with a super sharp blade. If you pull them they pull more yarn and perpetuate the problem, but if you cut them its nice and smooth
Thanks 👍🏻 I’m going to check those out right now. This could be a game changer for me, especially for custom race first aid stuff or my dry sleeping clothes on longer runs - the possibilities are endless!
- Al

Dream knives -
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

double post
Last edited by ovgcguy on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ovgcguy

Post by ovgcguy »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:19 pm
Also look at Loksak brand OpSak bags (google "opsak bags"). They are like ziplock bags on steroids - waterproof, smell proof, etc. They work pretty well too and are resealable
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I have some of those Loksacs for work and they’re pretty good. It hadn’t occurred to me to use them running 🤦🏼‍♂️
- Al

Dream knives -
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I’ve been using regular dry bags for ages and never had any issues. While climate here on the western coast of Norway is far from tropical, we do know a thing or two about prolonged periods of rain/sleet/snow. Wet should really be considered the default state of anything you want to take outside for a longer period of time. I have frequently worked in Singapore and other parts of the tropics so I realize it’s a different kind of wet, but as far as keeping your food and gear dry, I think the challenges and solutions are comparable.
MMV, but I really appreciate the simplicity and reusability of dry bags. No special equipment required, no material logistics, no waste management and you have the ability to reseal/reorganize on the go. Intuitively it also appears to be a more sustainable approach, but I realize there’s too much going into the calculation to really know.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Definitely guilty of shaving down a foot callous with my Manbug Wharnie...on more than one occasion.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:49 am
I’ve been using regular dry bags for ages and never had any issues. While climate here on the western coast of Norway is far from tropical, we do know a thing or two about prolonged periods of rain/sleet/snow. Wet should really be considered the default state of anything you want to take outside for a longer period of time. I have frequently worked in Singapore and other parts of the tropics so I realize it’s a different kind of wet, but as far as keeping your food and gear dry, I think the challenges and solutions are comparable.
MMV, but I really appreciate the simplicity and reusability of dry bags. No special equipment required, no material logistics, no waste management and you have the ability to reseal/reorganize on the go. Intuitively it also appears to be a more sustainable approach, but I realize there’s too much going into the calculation to really know.
You make a good case for the humble dry bag. I have had excellent experiences with ones that have either a section of goretex or eVent at their base that allows you to squeeze the air out of them when closed like a vacuum bag. I’m more interested in the vacuum bag machines for their ability to completely remove the air inside and stop items (especially hard items) from bouncing about inside the sealed bags when running, while having the added bonus of being bone dry if/when I open them. If I was backpacking or whatever this wouldn’t be an issue, but when I’m running I don’t carry much soft stuff to use as wadding. There’s still a place for the aforementioned drybags for soft or light items, but vacuum bags offers potential new solutions to old problems.
- Al

Dream knives -
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

JoviAl wrote:

Get a Food Saver. Ours is used daily in the kitchen.

https://www.foodsaver.com/food-vacuum-sealers/
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I eat almost all my meals on cutting boards just so I can use my pocket knives. Guess that's unnecessary but helps get all my knives some use even if they aren't in the daily rotation
sal

Post by sal »

I always cut my sushi in half so I get twice as many bites.

sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:38 pm
Hahahaha! I've never seen anyone else do this. Of course my wife and friends expect aberent behavior from me, and one of the waitresses recognizes me as the knife guy. Rarely does anyone else comment on it; I think they're secretly worried about the strange guy who cuts his own sushi.

Do you know why I always cut my sushi with an exquisitely sharpened Paramilitary 2?
Because the 9mm Luger tends to separate the rice from the fish.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:28 pm
sal wrote:
Hahahaha! I've never seen anyone else do this. Of course my wife and friends expect aberent behavior from me, and one of the waitresses recognizes me as the knife guy. Rarely does anyone else comment on it; I think they're secretly worried about the strange guy who cuts his own sushi.

Do you know why I always cut my sushi with an exquisitely sharpened Paramilitary 2?
😂
- Al

Dream knives -
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

RustyIron wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:28 pm
sal wrote:
8< ----

Now, that's why real gents carry a .32

...isn't it??