Unnecessary (yet completely necessary) knife use

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Unnecessary (yet completely necessary) knife use

Post by JoviAl »

I was just slicing up a delightfully juicy orange with my M398 Mule (it has orange and blue micarta scales, so it was the obvious choice) and it reminded me of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer starts using his gun to switch off lights and get Lisa’s ball off the roof. I realised I used to ‘peel’ oranges with my ‘fingers’ like a total punter, and how I now automatically reach for a knife in a variety of situations that non-knife people might use ungainly body parts or even other ‘tools’ to perform.

What is the most ‘knife person’ thing you find yourself doing with your knives that Joe Public uses something else for (like a rank amateur 😜)?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
jmj3esq

Re: Unnecessary (yet completely necessary) knife use

Post by jmj3esq »

I fish all the time. I use the back of the blade of my on hand folder to dislodge deep hooks in fish mouths all the time. I've gotten some strange looks because it looks like I'm cutting the hooks out but an actually just using the back of the blade to pull/dislodge the hooks the same way id use pliers, only faster.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Shave. 🥸
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i use my knives as photo subjects and fidget toys. those are probably the most "knife person" things i do.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

Cutting up apples and pears. I always slice up my apples into neat, bite-sized pieces. I don't like eating apples by biting into them, ever since I saw another kid back in grade school biting into a big red apple, and seeing a wad of his saliva running down the apple.

I also use a knife to cleanly peel my oranges. And if it's the type of orange that doesn't naturally break apart into neat pieces, I cut the edible part into clean chunks.

Jim
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Toothpick.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

- Scraping snow that has built up there from the climbing skins of my touring skies or wax from their running surface with the spine

- Open beer bottles with the spine

- For SOME here doing food prep in general with their folders is seemingly strange, I though really like to use my Spydies in the kitchen

- Cutting paper in forms with my knife instead of with scissors

- Scratching my back with the blade (more reach! ;) )

- No spin throwing (with folders just occasionally and not too hard)

-
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I was on break yesterday and opened a bag of Fritos with my knife. Coworkers immediately cried out "that's so unnecessary!"

Well, turns out I have a case of trigger finger, and opening a bag of chips is sometimes painful. Opening a bag of chips with a knife not only saves me from pain, but brings me joy. :smiling-halo
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:14 am
i use my knives as photo subjects and fidget toys. those are probably the most "knife person" things i do.
Yeah, this too.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:37 am
Ha! Glad I’m not the only one who does this!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:18 am
Toothpick.
Last edited by ladybug93 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Any type of bagged snack that most people would pull apart at the top, I cut open. I couldn't tell you how many bags of chips have ripped down the side on me and this basically prevents it from happening. I cut open my bags of coffee this way too.

Lots of manicure action.

Nothing cuts gift wrap better than a sharp knife, and I really like serrations for this because you can hook the first one on the paper and it's like a wee little hawkbill.

I still prefer to sharpen pencils with a knife, especially expensive colored pencils because even the better twist sharpeners will waste more lead than necessary, and sometimes I want more lead exposed from the wood than those sharpeners can give me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:20 am
Any type of bagged snack that most people would pull apart at the top, I cut open. I couldn't tell you how many bags of chips have ripped down the side on me and this basically prevents it from happening. I cut open my bags of coffee this way too.

Lots of manicure action.

Nothing cuts gift wrap better than a sharp knife, and I really like serrations for this because you can hook the first one on the paper and it's like a wee little hawkbill.

I still prefer to sharpen pencils with a knife, especially expensive colored pencils because even the better twist sharpeners will waste more lead than necessary, and sometimes I want more lead exposed from the wood than those sharpeners can give me.
All of this resonates, but I have a different motivation regarding the snack bags; with my knife I can open them quietly without alerting the kids and enjoy it by myself.

**Disclaimer: I do also share, way more than I consume myself, but sometimes you just need some alone time. I'm a good parent - I promise :)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Foehammer wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
Me makes it three!!! and I open my Copenhagen can w/my Dfly 👊
James Y

Post by James Y »

Another reason for opening snack (and other food) bags with a knife is to prevent the contents from flying or spilling all over. I hate it when chips (or cereal) I'm about to snack on goes flying onto the floor, or all over my shirt and pants. Then I have to scramble to keep to the "5 second rule.". All of which is avoided by opening the bag with a good, sharp knife.

Jim
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:50 pm
Foehammer wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

:clinking-mugs :clinking-mugs :smiling-cheeks
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:50 pm
Foehammer wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Hahaha! Nice. I just use my big old pm2 for that! 😅
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Open easily openable packages cause I prefer a clean opening instead of a tear. Chips, papertowel rolls, package of water bottles, mail, etc.

Trim my nails. Remove a splinter. Cut gift wrap when wrapping presents instead of using scissors. I use my knives to help me reach things on high shelves.

I'll just say I own the worlds most neglected pair of scissors.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:18 am
Toothpick.
Same lol
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:47 pm
Evil D wrote:

Lots of manicure action.

All of this resonates, but I have a different motivation regarding the snack bags; with my knife I can open them quietly without alerting the kids and enjoy it by myself.

**Disclaimer: I do also share, way more than I consume myself, but sometimes you just need some alone time. I'm a good parent - I promise :)
All of the above 🤣
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Evil D wrote:
A knife for food packaging is a must. It's almost like the plastic knows which direction you're trying to rip it and it goes the opposite way. resealable packaging often rips in such a way that it destroys its ziplock element, rendering itself useless. That's one of the original reasons I started keeping a knife in my pocket.