why so few Stretch 2 color variations?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: why so few Stretch 2 color variations?

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:10 pm
wvguy8258 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:41 am
The Stretch has a big following. One reason why Delicas, for instance, might sell more (other than lower price) is there are so many color variations other than black.

If they offered the Stretch in like 5 more colors tomorrow, they'd sell a bunch.

The Stretch is my main hunting knife, and I don't like black handled knives in the woods (like bright colors) because of losing them. I'd kill for an orange FRN Stretch.

-R
Same goes for the Endela.
Its VG 10 version has not a single one of the color variations the big and the little siblings Endura and Delica offer (well, black, but that´s not a "variation").

A Stretch (and also a Rock / Leaf Jumper) in high viz color would be great indeed.
But perhaps this will come with possible linerless / Salt versions?
Though I´d like to see thisin the linered Stretch already too.
Yup…⬆️ and an ORANGE SIREN IN MAG!!!🙏
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:12 am
Wartstein wrote:
wvguy8258 wrote:
Its VG 10 version has not a single one of the color variations the big and the little siblings Endura and Delica offer (well, black, but that´s not a "variation").

A Stretch (and also a Rock / Leaf Jumper) in high viz color would be great indeed.

Would be cool... but since the Siren got discontinued unfortunately, I don´t think this is very likely :neutral

Really a sad thing imo - obviously a great and currently the only (?) option for those who want a light, linerless, true Salt knife, but prefer G10 over FRN (not me, I was always hoping that the Siren would become popular enough to warrant an FRN (and SE) version)
Plus they went through a lot of hazzle to fix the backlock issues, and now, quite shortly afterwards, they discontinue the model.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I just did a search on the Spyderco website and other than the ivory colored Sprint Run, they're all dark colors.

What about making a reflective paracord lanyard? There are lots of bright colors and they all have reflective tracers that really sparkle when you hit it with a flashlight

I did an online search and found this company: https://www.paracordplanet.com/paracord ... -paracord/
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:49 pm
Wartstein wrote:
wvguy8258 wrote:

Would be cool... but since the Siren got discontinued unfortunately, I don´t think this is very likely :neutral

Really a sad thing imo - obviously a great and currently the only (?) option for those who want a light, linerless, true Salt knife, but prefer G10 over FRN (not me, I was always hoping that the Siren would become popular enough to warrant an FRN (and SE) version)
Plus they went through a lot of hazzle to fix the backlock issues, and now, quite shortly afterwards, they discontinue the model.
Ikr…makes me sad 😞… I would love a Siren in orange frn and magnacut, but would also be happy w/g10 as long as it just came back…a Stretch xl lw salt as well as an endela salt and REALLY don’t understand why there STILL is no Dfly salt in lc200n…Here’s to hoping 🙏
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Ikr…makes me sad 😞… I would love a Siren in orange frn and magnacut, but would also be happy w/g10 as long as it just came back…a Stretch xl lw salt as well as an endela salt and REALLY don’t understand why there STILL is no Dfly salt in lc200n…Here’s to hoping 🙏
Same, took my siren to the ocean the other day it really is a neat little knife that would benefit from a magna-cut version.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

👊👊👊
cjk

Post by cjk »

electro-static wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:03 pm
Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Same, took my siren to the ocean the other day it really is a neat little knife that would benefit from a magna-cut version.
Given that the Siren got the carbon fiber and S90V sprint run treatment while at the same time the original version was discontinued, I'd be dumbfounded if there wasn't another one 'on the way' or 'in the queue' but currently 'top secret' and unannounced. I do think it'd be cooler as a salt knife if it were orange or lime green or yellow G-10 instead of black just for visibility's sake in the water. I would also bet it will be Magnacut, but what do I know, I'm just some bozo on the internet. :winking-tongue
cjk

Post by cjk »

I'm also surprised there's not a smaller, Delica-ish-sized Stretch called the Shrink. :winking-tongue
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

cjk wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:55 am
I'm also surprised there's not a smaller, Delica-ish-sized Stretch called the Shrink. :winking-tongue
Not sure if serious…

But I would be all over a straight spine reduced size Stretch. The Manbug opened my eyes to the utility of that style blade. I was in the leaf>Wharncliffe >sheepsfoot> skinner/drop camp and have rethought that take since carrying the K390 Manbug
cjk

Post by cjk »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:20 am
cjk wrote:
Not sure if serious…

But I would be all over a straight spine reduced size Stretch. The Manbug opened my eyes to the utility of that style blade. I was in the leaf>Wharncliffe >sheepsfoot> skinner/drop camp and have rethought that take since carrying the K390 Manbug
I was not really serious, but not really not either. I would be neither for nor against.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:30 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:20 am
cjk wrote:
Not sure if serious…

I was not really serious, but not really not either. I would be neither for nor against.

Serious or not, not a bad idea - would give those who want a choil instead of a "ricasso" / kick just that in a Delica sized knife.
(I personally do NOT necessarily want a choil in that size category)

Would make a lot of sense, actually:

With Seki backlocks
- One can choose in the Endura size between choil or ricasso (Stretch XL / Endura)
- Also in the Endela size (Stretch 2 / Endela, here even a "handle forward" option Rock/Leafjumper)
- Not in the Delica size though

Again though: Like I feel concerning a potential "Lil Manix" or I would have preferred in a "Lil PM2" (Para 3): A smaller Stretch should have a flat handle end, no pinky hook there. The latter would make the grip area behind the choil too short for larger hands.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cjk

Post by cjk »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:39 am
Serious or not, not a bad idea - would give those who want a choil instead of a "ricasso" / kick just that in a Delica sized knife.

I don't understand why you would not want a choil in a smaller knife category. (serious)

I know you hate the Chaparral and its choil. ( kidding, not serious, :winking-tongue)

A smaller knife with a choil works for more hand sizes than one without at the expense of more sharpened edge.

Fitting more hand sizes expands the number of customers who might buy the thing.

People who desire "more edge" should probably go buy a bigger knife?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:51 am
Wartstein wrote:

I don't understand why you would not want a choil in a smaller knife category. (serious)

I know you hate the Chaparral and its choil. ( kidding, not serious, :winking-tongue)

A smaller knife with a choil works for more hand sizes than one without at the expense of more sharpened edge.

Fitting more hand sizes expands the number of customers who might buy the thing.

I have a pretty precise categorization in which sizes I like choils and in which not so much - so let me explain:

- The Delica (Para 3, Native...) are a larger category than the Chap to me handlewise (actually they are objectively: Closed lengthes: Delica 4.25, Para 3 4.29, Native 4.00, but Chap only 3.60)
- The Delica handle is long enough to offer a good, full four finger grip even for larger hands - JUST on the actual handle, no choil needed (and one can additionally perfectly choke up on the ricasso plus the hand is placed closer to the edge when not choking up - win, win, win to me)
- The Para 3, Native... handles WOULD be long enough too for that - but due to the choil larger hands actually have to choke up for a good four finger grip (I have to with Para 3 and Native)
- The Chap on the other hand has such a short handle that the overall handle length would NOT be long enough for a good four finger gip anymore for larger hands - a choil is mandatory for that, and so makes a lot more sense

- So, conclusion for me: Delica sized knives are those where a choil makes the least sense for me personally, while "one step smaller" (Chap) it is great....
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:05 am
cjk wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I have a pretty precise categorization in which sizes I like choils and in which not so much - so let me explain:

- The Delica (Para 3, Native...) are a larger category than the Chap to me handlewise (actually they are objectively: Closed lengthes: Delica 4.25, Para 3 4.29, Native 4.00, but Chap only 3.60)
- The Delica handle is long enough to offer a good, full four finger grip even for larger hands - JUST on the actual handle, no choil needed (and one can additionally perfectly choke up on the ricasso plus the hand is placed closer to the edge when not choking up - win, win, win to me)
- The Para 3, Native... handles WOULD be long enough too for that - but due to the choil larger hands actually have to choke up for a good four finger grip (I have to with Para 3 and Native)
- The Chap on the other hand has such a short handle that the overall handle length would NOT be long enough for a good four finger gip anymore for larger hands - a choil is mandatory for that, and so makes a lot more sense

- So, conclusion for me: Delica sized knives are those where a choil makes the least sense for me personally, while "one step smaller" (Chap) it is great....
While I understand everyone just has there preferences. I think it’s a bit of a reach to say it feels “perfect” to choke up on the delicas ricasso. While you can do it, It’s far from ergonomic perfection. Grip a Caly 3 then get back to me(serious not serious). And I think for the type of work a 3” bladed pocket knife is mostly going to get used for (light to regular utility use)The nicely shaped choil for tight, secure, scalpel-like edge controlling grip is fitting on a delica sized knife which is still in a smaller size category that’s not going to excel very well anyway in bigger sorts of cutting jobs.
:bug-red-white
cjk

Post by cjk »

Wartstein wrote:
That makes sense. I am pretty average in height, which I assume also makes me pretty average in hand size. I generally fit things made for average people, so most things fit me fine.

Have you seen or possibly handled a Lynch Mod 2 Delica? It's basically a titanium handle replacement for the Delica. The handle shape is changed in such a way that the ricasso now becomes a choil. Pic plucked from the Lynch site for reference:

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:07 am
Wartstein wrote:
cjk wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
While I understand everyone just has there preferences. I think it’s a bit of a reach to say it feels “perfect” to choke up on the delicas ricasso. While you can do it, It’s far from ergonomic perfection. Grip a Caly 3 then get back to me(serious not serious). And I think for the type of work a 3” bladed pocket knife is mostly going to get used for (light to regular utility use)The nicely shaped choil for tight, secure, scalpel-like edge controlling grip is fitting on a delica sized knife which is still in a smaller size category that’s not going to excel very well anyway in bigger sorts of cutting jobs.

You are right, I forgot my usual "just for me personally" .

For me personally though choking up on Delica or Endura ricasso does feel almost perfect, better than on most choils, and it is my most used grip on these folders for many years now (I usually put my thumb on the flat of the blade, rather than the spine or ramp, perhaps this makes a difference - ?) - funny, I discussed this very recently in another thread, and forum member "Jazz" - the man we owe the existence of the wharnie Delica - feels the same in prefering the ricasso over a choil (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94509&start=20#p1704927)

Actually this IS mainly about control. While a dedicated choil feels "better" and more comfortable, especially when just holding the knife, in real work the ricasso grip gives me (personally) more control than most choils. Makes sense also, cause then you want more "meat" under the first and perhaps second finger, something a (too) deep choil prevents.

And no, a Delica with a choil would not offer enough space anymore (behind that choil) for a good four finger grip for larger hands (mine are a "big L" or "small XL") -much like a Native or Para 3 do not.
The great thing about the Delica for me actually is, that it uses the whole, available handle length for one good grip, the ricasso still helps to place the hand close to the edge anyway and can be used as a (depending on who you ask) decent to great choke up point.

Imagine a Para 3, with its pretty huge handle, having NO choil, but edge all the way to the handle, and NO pinky hook - one would have a very generous grip area for pretty much any hand size, the hand would still be as close to the edge as with a choil, plus it would gain cutting edge length - to me win,win,win again, in this particular size range(!)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
That makes sense. I am pretty average in height, which I assume also makes me pretty average in hand size. I generally fit things made for average people, so most things fit me fine.

Have you seen or possibly handled a Lynch Mod 2 Delica? It's basically a titanium handle replacement for the Delica. The handle shape is changed in such a way that the ricasso now becomes a choil. Pic plucked from the Lynch site for reference:

Thanks, certainly looks very cool!!!

But to be honest: I don´t think this handle would offer any advantage to me - I would end up having to use that "new" choil, cause my hand would not fit behind it anymore, and the situation would be pretty much the same as with a regular Delica - perhaps even "less good", cause the rear end of the choil would alter the handle shape in a way I might not like...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Wartstein wrote:
cjk wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Agree, Native feels like a DF2 when holding the choil and not a D4