Para 3 Lovefest, Where Did It Go?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Para 3 Lovefest, Where Did It Go?

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I was just upstairs in my knife/workout room. I was standing there infront of my display stands, admittedly flicking a few knives around. (This new position at work has me in a serious knife use depression)

I came across my one remaining Para 3, the G10, DLC M4 BladeHQ exclusive. It really is a pretty nice model. I feel I've always hated on the Para 3 because of the popularity surge a few years back. But, I also find myself complimenting this knife anytime I've used it.

This got me thinking, it honestly seems like the Para 3 rage has died down significantly over the past few years, at least on this forum...which is my only source of social media, so I understand my views are limited. But this place was buzzing over Para 3 sprints and exclusives galore a few years ago, and now there's barely a whisper even with upcoming and recently released exclusives. Not many are posted or even talked about. I was just curious what everyone thinks as to why the craze seems to have disappeared for this model?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Dnwrghtsr

Re: Para 3 Lovefest, Where Did It Go?

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

First of all my para 3 lw rex 45 is my absolute favorite summer carry. Sees more pocket time than everything else combined. The Manix seems to be the new favorite. Even more popular than the pm2.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

I still see Para 3 posts on other websites. Mine came at the beginning of my Spyderco life since they were so popular (rookie). Since then I have found everything else in the lineup!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:33 pm
First of all my para 3 lw rex 45 is my absolute favorite summer carry. Sees more pocket time than everything else combined.
Same. The LW is a much more compelling offering for me.

I enjoy the Para 3 kind of the same way I enjoy the Dragonfly. It’s a nice small knife, I just prefer something larger most days.

I do think that the Para 3 hype is still very real elsewhere - we’re just a bunch of hipsters, who are too cool for school. 😎
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The Para 3 is okay, but I personally prefer the Native 5 over it. I even prefer the discontinued Mantra 3 over the Para 3.

I still see Para 3 photos in the FB knife groups, so I suppose it still has a significant fanbase.
G-Primo73

Post by G-Primo73 »

I had gifted my LW SPY-27 Para 3 to my pastor last year and ever since then I have been wanting another one to add back to the collection. I just purchased one of the last DLT exclusives in Tan G-10. In CMP 20CV

I added some OD green Canvas Micarda scales...I am a sucker for Earthy colorways. It is in my pocket tonight. Working late!!! Here is some motivation😎
Attachments
C131ABF8-3489-426B-8566-54240145E0E1.jpeg
Skar

Post by Skar »

Para 3 is a great knife, one of my favorites.
I don’t have anything to add to your question or topic other than I really enjoy it.
dsm

Post by dsm »

I’ve not been on the forum long enough to comment on any changes to the Para 3’s popularity here. However, within my own collection, the G10 model suffers from carrying essentially the same as a PM2, a thick blade stock, and lacking the length of the PM2. Since I have no legal restriction on the size of knife; I either go with a fuller sized model (a Stretch 2, lately) or something really compact like a Dragonfly.

I do still love the LW variant, though I think it suffers fundamentally with the blade stock being too thick. I carry it often in shorts. I’m very excited to see ongoing variety in the LW, whether in MagnaCut or tool steels.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

See more of them on other online knife places than here. The Para 3 is the model I shouldn't like at all, but in the end it's found a place of unusual favor with me. Unfortunately for the Para 3, I have found my real 3-inch blade knife love in the Small Sebenza, so the Para 3 has taken a serious backseat position to that.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

dsm wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 pm
I think it suffers fundamentally with the blade stock being too thick.
. I agree with this. I also think there has been a general shift away from large spidey hole hump in a blade shape. So you have Native 5 with a narrower blade stock and less humpy/rampy profile.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, I've voiced my opinion about this model several times already:
It is a very cool little knife, no doubt, but still for me personally more of a niche product by design that got so popular partly just cause it is a perfect "baby PM2" and people like just that.

Let's put it this way:

- Imagine there had never been a Pm 2, PM1 and a Millie.
- Then Spyderco came out with the Para 3 as a completely new design as "the" small Spydie (that shall get most of the sprints and exclusives), but without the appeal of being a shrunken version of an already existing, extremely popular platform.
- I can't help but assume that quite some people would go like: "Well, nice, but if this shall become "the" universally most popular small Spydie: (!)
Why does this for the edge length huge and bulky handle almost deliberately reduce the available grip length with that massive hook at the handle end? Why not flat and stretched out as long as possible on the handle end like the great Sage/Chap design (perfect for small folder and a bit larger hands)?
"And why such a thick blade? More than 20% thicker than on a Sage, almost 50 % thicker than on the Delica and over 80 % thicker than on a Chap, when those three are already way strong enough?"
"And if such a thick blade, why then not also a sturdy tip?"
"And why so comparably heavy? Even the linerless LW version is still a tad heavier than the full linered Delica? "

I actually gave this model a fair chance and got the version that should suit my preferences the most: The lightweight in serrated edge.
And while yes, I did like it, it felt nice in hand when using the choil and cut just fine: Compared to let's say a Delica, with its sturdy, but still light built, the generous handle, the for me much better carry and noticably slicier, but still strong blade it just was not for me in the end.

So, to sum it up:
I think the appeal of having a very cool "baby PM2" (and the Para 3 is perfect in that role!) has ebbed away a bit.
People look more on optimized performance in cutting and handle design (for a small knife and also larger hands)
And the Para 3 in being a perfect baby PM2 on the flipside inevitably has to adopt features that are good on the PM2, but not ideal for a smaller version (handle shape, blade stock).

Just my 2c and NOT a Para 3 bashing.
I do like it, but don't find it the most ideally designed small Spyderco and am glad when now other models get more of the variants, sprints, exclusives.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I think the main thing is just that spyderco offers too many other good models for the para 3 to really stand out that much. What makes the para 3 stand out over all the other models? I don't think it's a bad knife but it's got some strong competition from the spyderco lineup.

I wasn't following the knife scene when the para 3 was released, but I can imagine anything to do with the PM2 would have a lot of hype. Mini PM2 and lightweight mini PM2 certainly would have. The hype probably just wore off and the para 3 just doesn't stand out enough on its own.

The para 3 in particular is in a bit of a weird position. Its closed size is maybe a half inch shorter than the PM2 while maintaining the same thickness. If you want a big knife, why not carry a PM2? If you want a tiny knife that you forget is in your pocket, you'd be much better served by something like a chaparral.
p3-closed.jpeg
p3-open.jpeg
It's definitely got a niche if you like small blades but want something with a full size handle, but a niche item isn't going to be all the rage.

If they did a para 3.2 where they slim it down so it's competitive with the chaparral, that might become the must-have small spyderco knife. They probably can't get the blade stock that thin, but they certainly could slim it down a little and cut a lot of excess off the handle.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Now that I'm somewhat limited to smaller knives at work I've been exploring options I've never considered in the past and the Para 3 is on my list. I'll most likely get one in SE and definitely a Salt version if/when they come in MagnaCut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Para 3 lovefest was taken over by the shaman lovefest. :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

They lost the opportunity to design a Delica killer. The blade stock is too thick and ground too thick bte, the blade is wider than it needs to be in the hole area and the handle is slightly shorter and slightly wider than it needs to be. I carry my LW SPY27 one from time to time just because I like the steel and the handle color but most of the time I grab one of my Delicas when I need a similar folder. It’s not too late for a Para 3.2 I guess…

P.S The finger choil is perfect as it is
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
benben

Post by benben »

I have a early on smooth black G-10 Cru-Wear exclusive, super nice knife, just never warmed up to it. Been saying I’m going to move it for years now, think I’ve carried it twice?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Paging Crux!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I think part of it might have to do with the period you alluded to when we saw many sprints and exclusives coming to an end. When those started drying up, people's attention turned elsewhere.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

vandelay wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:55 am
If they did a para 3.2 where they slim it down so it's competitive with the chaparral, that might become the must-have small spyderco knife. They probably can't get the blade stock that thin, but they certainly could slim it down a little and cut a lot of excess off the handle.
That's sort of what they did with the Para 3 LW, which ditches the big lanyard hole.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I think the relative wave of exclusives died down a bit so it's a little quieter on the Para 3 front, but it's still a very popular knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal