Para 3 Lovefest, Where Did It Go?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Araignee

Re: Para 3 Lovefest, Where Did It Go?

Post by Araignee »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:24 am
It's not completely clear to me if it's the supply or the demand that has dried up.
Rule of thumb : if it's available outside of the USA, it's not a supply problem 😑

For my part, I could a procure a Para 3 BD1N easily, but I'll be sending it back because it feels awkward in my hand. I think the shallow choil is part of the issue (doesn't provide finger resting position that's as firm as that of my Chaparral), also the compression lock opening can bite into my palm.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think it's like a lot of things. People are attracted to the shiny new thing. There hasn't been any new versions of the Para 3 lately. So the hype has died down

I still have several G10 and LW P3 variants. I work from home now. So I've been carrying more of my high-end models than I used to. I still throw a P3 in my pocket from time-to-time though
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Glad I started this thread, lots of great answers and nice to hear all the individual feedback and all the different opinions and how some of our own have changed over time.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 am
Glad I started this thread, lots of great answers and nice to hear all the individual feedback and all the different opinions and how some of our own have changed over time.
One of the best threads in quite awhile, IMO. Informative, and confirmed a lot of what I felt about the Para 3 without actually owning one.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

It's the opposite of little big knife for me. I can see the appeal of a chunky little guy, but not quite my cup of tea. I don't use clips, and it's a bit sketchy for a knife with no real closed bias. Also, the LW is blade heavy for me, compared to the native
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

My first was a core S30V. Second was the lightweight CTS BD1N. Last was a Maxamet from the on-line seconds sale late last year. Couldn't resist that one. The lightweight is by far my favorite of the 3, the action is one of the best I have in any Spyderco, and I can carry it in the office. But when I'm not in the office I always reach for something else, mostly larger.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:43 am
I think it's like a lot of things. People are attracted to the shiny new thing. There hasn't been any new versions of the Para 3 lately. So the hype has died down

FWIW,
There was a lime green KnifeJoy satin 20CV exclusive late last year.
There's a purple DLC cruwear exclusive Para 3 at DLT dropping in about 4 days.
cjk

Post by cjk »

We should all put our forum heads together and attempt to will into existence a wharncliffe Para 3. :cheap-sunglasses
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

The cheaper and thinner Delica and the gorgeous Native 5 are the reasons.

We still don't know how much said model sells so it might be more popular than we assume, even if I have my doubts.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:35 pm
We should all put our forum heads together and attempt to will into existence a wharncliffe Para 3. :cheap-sunglasses
The wharncliffe PM2 was such a cool blade shape. It would be nice to see more of that blade style.
James Y

Post by James Y »

If the Para 3 is still in the lineup several years from now, then we will know it's selling well enough, and is more popular among buyers than the majority of responses here on the forum would indicate.

Jim
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I fully believe that will be the case.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think we will see a LW Salt as well.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I took the Para 3 Lovefest to be for people who suffered blade-length restrictions. Because I don’t, I saw no need for a Para any smaller than a PM2.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Para 3 Maxamet is a gem.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:13 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:43 am

FWIW,
There was a lime green KnifeJoy satin 20CV exclusive late last year.
There's a purple DLC cruwear exclusive Para 3 at DLT dropping in about 4 days.
I was just idly reading this thinking “I really don’t carry my S110V para 3 very often anymore - it’s just a bit too small…” then I saw DLC Cruwear… looks like I’ll be owning 2 para 3’s shortly 😂
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I tried my favorite G10 Para 3 yesterday, which now a Micarta Para 3. I was inspired by this thread.

I had a few thick cardboard boxes to cut up, and it did just fine. Nothing wrong with it at all, and I’d be glad to have one if I was worried about blade length laws. But my position ultimately stands, I’d rather carry a PM2 most days. Takes up the same room in the pocket, offers more cutting edge.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:27 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 am
One of the best threads in quite awhile, IMO. Informative, and confirmed a lot of what I felt about the Para 3 without actually owning one.
James Y wrote: If the Para 3 is still in the lineup several years from now, then we will know it's selling well enough, and is more popular among buyers than the majority of responses here on the forum would indicate.
kennethsime wrote: ....
I had a few thick cardboard boxes to cut up, and it did just fine. Nothing wrong with it at all, and I’d be glad to have one if I was worried about blade length laws. But my position ultimately stands, I’d rather carry a PM2 most days. Takes up the same room in the pocket, offers more cutting edge.
I too feel like this is "one of the best threads in a quite a while".

Just an exchange of views between folks who like, try and really think about Spyderco knives, in an respectful, adult, not "blind and fanboyish" manner concerning a very popular, and certainly also pretty cool model.

This is not about that something is "wrong" with the Para 3 at all, and the thread is certainly biased towards replies by people who prefer other models in the small Spydie lineup, so the Para 3 is definitely more popular than it looks when reading this thread imo.

For me it is just about:

- Is the Para 3, as cool as it is, "the" ideal, "most people can agree on" small Spydie to get all the variants, sprints and exclusives it got?
- If there was no Millie, PM1, PM2 :Would Spyderco have designed the Para 3 for being that ideal model most people can agree on, or would they have chosen to go with another handle shape (optimizing grip area on the given length), a bit less bulk and a bit thinner bladestock?
- How much of its appeal actually comes from being a cool "baby PM2"?

My personal and completely subjective guess still is (and I could be terribly wrong!):
If there had been no Millie and no PM2 beforehand, and people had to choose between Para 3 and lets say Sage 5, more could agree on the Sage (but many would still like the Para 3, no doubt, and there are of course reasons for that)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm
If the Para 3 is still in the lineup several years from now, then we will know it's selling well enough, and is more popular among buyers than the majority of responses here on the forum would indicate.

Jim
Spyderco have their own ways and sometimes they're difficult to grasp or the decisions are more for other reasons than pure business perspectives (which is a good thing imo).

The Para 3 might be more popular than we assume, or it could barely break even. Or it could be a knife that Sal and Eric like a lot so its stays in the lineup for thar reason. Or maybe they want to give the knife its chance to really breakout by giving it some time... Who knows. I know for certain Sal and Eric won't share trade secret with forum dwellers (which is perfectly understable).

If I had to really guess. I think the smaller/compact edc knives are very popular, but at a particular price point. A Delica at sub 100$ is a good offer for a compact knife (competition is stiff but still). Above that and you're really speaking to enthusiasts knife people, the kind of people who don't care about spending more for having more.

The Para 3 LW makes more sens to me (imo) than the g10 version. It's a more premium Delica in a certain sens (same weight, same practical feeling and more minimalistic in its construction). I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more than the Para 3 G10. I still have one I keep because it's a very "Spyderco knife", while I see the OG Para 3 as a dwarfed PM2 and not more. I like each Spyderco knife to have something special and the Para 3 LW really feel special. The internal design of the scales and the lock itself really feel like a marvel of engineering. Feel the same about the minimalist approach of a Native 5 LW (a pure gem that I consider a work of true work of art), while I've never been impressed with the G10 version. On the opposite, I wouldn't be impressed with a LW PM2. I don't think it fit the knife much, just like I'm not that impressed with what I've seen of the LW Native Chief while I love the G10 version.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Xformer wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:35 am
James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm
The Para 3 LW makes more sens to me (imo) than the g10 version. It's a more premium Delica in a certain sens (same weight, same practical feeling and more minimalistic in its construction). I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more than the Para 3 G10. I still have one I keep because it's a very "Spyderco knife", while I see the OG Para 3 as a dwarfed PM2 and not more. I like each Spyderco knife to have something special and the Para 3 LW really feel special. The internal design of the scales and the lock itself really feel like a marvel of engineering. ...

While I don't necessarily agree that the Para 3 LW is "a more premium Delica" (debatable, but in a way the sturdy, full linered construction with still the same low weight could make the Delica feel more "premium" to some) I absolutely second the "Para 3 LW marvel of engineering" - thing.

I had the SE LW Para 3, and it was absolutely perfectly executed, felt very sturdy and the implementation of the comp.lock in that (almost) linerless handle is so well done!!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)