Knife cargo shorts

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ajl808

Knife cargo shorts

Post by ajl808 »

Who makes a sturdy pair of cargo shorts with pockets that are good for holding a pocket knife?

I’ve gone through too many flimsy shorts where the pockets hang down too low, or get hung up on the clip when I draw the knife.
dsvirsky

Re: Knife cargo shorts

Post by dsvirsky »

Duluth Trading Company
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

Duluth 👍
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Tru-Spec 24/7 shorts are good to go. Surprisingly affordable as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Board-shorts have cargo pockets... So they're "cargo shorts" right?

I rock some nylon board-shorts for most, if not all of my bicycling time. I keep a Spyderco clipped into the RH cargo pocket (DLT Endela for the past few weeks now, but has been PacSalt, Salt, Endura, Delica & Stretch 1 also, over the years), no issues ever. Been doing it for many, many years now.

An alternative is: clip the knife into the waistband of______________________ (fill in the blank). I have done that/this too, for decades now - also no issues ever.

The pocket on board-shorts is typically a bit more svelt than what's on canvas "cargo short" type shorts, and so therefore isn't as apt to "droop". As I typed above, I have never had an issue with it, and have carried a Spydie like that for a long, long time now.

u.w.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I spend most of my life in cargo shorts. They’ve all worked just fine. Knife goes in the regular pocket, not the cargo pocket, same as any other shorts.
jacala

Post by jacala »

I've used 5.11 (cargo) shorts and pants for over 10 years. They do the job.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I never carry a knife in the "cargo" pocket of any type of pants, because the knife isn't accessible enough: covered by a flap, and in some cases too low on my body. I just use the same pockets as I would when wearing jeans, right front or right hip.

Some really nice shorts, though, are those made by AFTCO. Since AFTCO makes fishing gear, they're marketed towards fishermen, but I wear mine anytime shorts are appropriate. Most styles feature a lined pocket for pliers, which is an excellent spot to clip a knife.
im25feetup

Post by im25feetup »

Kuhl makes some great pants and shorts, all with at least one thigh pocket sized for a cell phone in a case. Most of mine have a pocket like this on each leg.

The shorts I have from them have an open top pocket on each thigh, and a zippered, slim pocket I use for knives. They are great lightweight shorts that are comfortable, fast drying and have lots of storage without being cargo shorts. Link below.
https://www.kuhl.com/kuhl/mens/shorts/r ... m8EALw_wcB
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

LA police gear makes some nice shorts. I’ve got a pair I’m quite fond of.
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Though the prices can be a little high shorts made specifically for hiking work well for me with carrying a knife. Fjallraven makes a couple of pairs with a nice internal pocket a clipped knife nestles quite well in.
vivi

Post by vivi »

IWB carry is under rated. Chef pants, running pants, running shorts, slacks, pj's....doesn't matter what I'm wearing, Pacific Salt clipped IWB behind my hip is always comfortable and out of the way.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Completely random Facebook ad, these look pretty crazy. Not sure about the price but I guess we'll pay $270 for a knife, paying that for a good pair of shorts doesn't sound too insane..

https://www.atlas46.com/products.html?u ... SS4EFRwu1U
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If you want top quality and are will to pay for it:
NYCO CARGO WORK SHORT from 1620 100% made in USA from super durable fabric.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:44 am
IWB carry is under rated. Chef pants, running pants, running shorts, slacks, pj's....doesn't matter what I'm wearing, Pacific Salt clipped IWB behind my hip is always comfortable and out of the way.
Welcome back Vivi!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Another vote for 5.11 shorts. Granted the ones they make that I like are not cargo shorts - the Aramis at around $40. I was mostly using the cargo pocket for my phone. The Aramis has a kinda second back pocket that works for a phone (or gun mag) perfectly. Their cargo shorts look great, but they are up in the $70 range.