Spyderco Hoodie Sweatshirt

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
justjohn

Spyderco Hoodie Sweatshirt

Post by justjohn »

Whatever happened to the Spyderco Hoodi Sweatshirt? Looked very promising.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
Mushroom

Re: Spyderco Hoodie Sweatshirt

Post by Mushroom »

The original run didn’t pass quality control.

I fully understand Spyderco is not an apparel company but I’d much rather spend a few more dollars to get high quality branded clothing opposed to something generic and low quality. The recent Spyderco shirt collaboration with Orvis set the bar, in my opinion! ;)
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I do hope that a Spyderco "Hoodie" does materialize at some point. In the past it seems like all their hats, shirts and other clothing items are very good quality.

I would like to see a collaboration between Carhartt and Spyderco on a clothing item. Because Carhartt does make some decent Hoodies.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:58 am
I do hope that a Spyderco "Hoodie" does materialize at some point. In the past it seems like all their hats, shirts and other clothing items are very good quality.

I would like to see a collaboration between Carhartt and Spyderco on a clothing item. Because Carhartt does make some decent Hoodies.
This past November I spoke with a gentleman from Spyderco who handles a lot of this type of merchandise and he mentioned having a close relationship with someone who happens to work for Carhartt. He said that Carhartt requires that their logo remains in place on their products for any collaborations. Which could present complications when it comes to Spydercos own branding. I don’t think a collaboration with Carhartt is impossible but there would be some challenges to overcome before making it happen.

Also, my experience with their most recent couple batches of shirts was opposite of yours. I found the shirts themselves to be low quality and would also shrink very easily. I can’t comfortably wear the ones I’ve already worn and washed anymore, so I just keep them as collector items. The ones I haven’t worn will also just be collectors items.

I used to work for a screen printing company and saw a wide range of quality apparel come through the shop and for those last two rounds of shirts they offered Spyderco used shirts from the low end of that range. That is a large reason why I’m very excited to try one (if not both) of their shirts from Orvis.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:57 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:58 am

This past November I spoke with a gentleman from Spyderco who handles a lot of this type of merchandise and he mentioned having a close relationship with someone who happens to work for Carhartt. He said that Carhartt requires that their logo remains in place on their products for any collaborations. Which could present complications when it comes to Spydercos own branding. I don’t think a collaboration with Carhartt is impossible but there would be some challenges to overcome before making it happen.

Also, my experience with their most recent couple batches of shirts was opposite of yours. I found the shirts themselves to be low quality and would also shrink very easily. I can’t comfortably wear the ones I’ve already worn and washed anymore, so I just keep them as collector items. The ones I haven’t worn will also just be collectors items.

I used to work for a screen printing company and saw a wide range of quality apparel come through the shop and for those last two rounds of shirts they offered Spyderco used shirts from the low end of that range. That is a large reason why I’m very excited to try one (if not both) of their shirts from Orvis.
OK I get all of that. It's certainly understandable from Carhartt's point of view. But I still think that could be a "win-win" for both companies. Both companies certainly are quality minded and it could potentially be great PR for Spyderco & Carhartt both if done correctly.

Now Carhartt isn't the only clothing company that would be great for a clothing collaboration with Spyderco. Other companies that come to mind are North Face, Columbia and Patagonia. I mention Patagonia from my running days because you literally can't hardly wear out their stuff. Their running gear was incredibly well made. I still have a couple of shirts made by Patagonia that I got all the way back in the early to mid 90s. The more I think about it Patagonia would probably be my choice #2.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:27 am
Other companies that come to mind are North Face, Columbia and Patagonia.

Got a nice Patagonia jacket with our company logo a few years ago. We asked marketing If they could get some more for new hires. They said Patagonia no longer puts logos on their products. Which is a shame because they make some great stuff.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:55 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:27 am
Other companies that come to mind are North Face, Columbia and Patagonia.

Got a nice Patagonia jacket with our company logo a few years ago. We asked marketing If they could get some more for new hires. They said Patagonia no longer puts logos on their products. Which is a shame because they make some great stuff.
OH for sure!! Patagonia is truly a high quality producer of specialized clothing items. Those Patagonia running shirts I've had from the 90s are ones that I still use as work shirts >> because they just won't wear out. And they still don't look bad either.

And their Jackets as you mentioned are durable beyond belief. I think that a Spyderco-Patagonia collaboration would be super interesting and most likely very rewarding venture for both companies IMO.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'd never wear clothes that advertise I'm carrying a knife.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189