Endura 4 Flytanium Scales...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jmj3esq

Endura 4 Flytanium Scales...

Post by jmj3esq »

Sorry guys, I know this will offend many, even dear ol' Sal, but I hate FRN scales/handles on my Spyderco's. I've got 4 Delica's all with changed out scales and had this lonely Endura 4 with the cheap looking FRN. It was a nice Racing Green, but still ugly. They had to go. I quickly found these titanium scales and backspacer at Flytanium.com. It was a breeze to take apart and put back together (if you've done it a few times). Now that I have the scales installed, this knife really pops! It's definitely heavier, which is a good thing in my opinion. Somehow the action of the knife is also greatly improved with these scales. Before I could hardly do a Spydie flick, now it swings open much easier. Now I think I've turned this knife into something I could use. I would easily trust the stability of this knife and would have no problem gutting a deer or performing other heavy tasks with it. These scales put some real shoulders on this knife. I highly recommend.

Endura 4 ZDP-189, Flytanium Scales and Backspacer

gooeytek

Re: Endura 4 Flytanium Scales...

Post by gooeytek »

I swapped mine out too, but I think the ones I have are an earlier version?

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

How are the scales in terms of comfort? They have some pretty aggressive chamfering. I was contemplating that exact knife since I'm curious about ZDP. Do the points of the handle feel or less pronounced?
cjk

Post by cjk »

How much does it weigh now?

FWIW, Spyderco does make a titanium Endura.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Flytanium also makes Delica scales again as well as a Ti kit for the FRN Dragonfly 2.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

The knife with the titanium scales is 5.3 oz as opposed to 3.6 oz with the FRN scales. The knife has great ergos and the chamfering is nice and the points seem to be less pronounced and smoother. Feels like a different knife completely without the bi-directional texturing of the FRN. It really improves the strength of this knife. Feels like I could chop wood with it.