Sabre grind combo edge?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cowboyfromhell

Sabre grind combo edge?

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Anyone have any spydies in their sabre grind combo edge? Im tempted to grab an endura with this blade to add to the collection. Thinking it might do well as am out doors work knife......
Wartstein

Re: Sabre grind combo edge?

Post by Wartstein »

I have both Endura and Delica in sabre grind combo edge.

- That Delica is my most hard use beater knife - very stout tip (and blade) due to the sabre grind, and differently to many I find the rather short amounts of both PE and SE enough (in many tasks it does not even matter or hurt anyway if one starts a cut with SE and finishes it with PE)

- I don't use that Endura much. Don't like sabre grinds on long (folder !) blades, I think long blades really profit from slicey ffg.

- What I don't like: Having to sharpen a chisel grind in the first half but a v-edge inthe second half of the blade

- And the particular serration pattern on both sg comboedge Endura and Delica are though good for more "brutal" tasks not my personal favorites overall
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:
If I got a comboedge Endura now, I'd definitely go with the ffg thin red/blue line one (actually considering getting one indeed)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Its one of my favorite knives.
Attachments
20230321_100643.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
araneae

Post by araneae »

I had one many years ago, sold it. For outdoors work the Pac Salt SE is king.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

araneae wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:15 am

True.
Sabre HOLLOW grind (if we´re talking about the H1 Pac Salt) is so much better than "just" sabre grind imo.
And the short PE part towards the tip of the SE Pac Salt is enough PE for me personally.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:10 am
Its one of my favorite knives.
Agree 100%
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

araneae wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:15 am

They are both great, but I agree that the Pac Salt in H1 SE is the king for outdoor work. If you like hawkbills, the Spyderhawk in H1 SE is an outdoor BEAST!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
SpiderIsland

Post by SpiderIsland »

I like the combo grind - Had a CRKT Crawford design that I carried non stop for about 3 years until I lost it.
Maybe time for a Spyderco replacement :)
Dog spelled backwards is…
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:36 am
Added to my post above:
If I got a comboedge Endura now, I'd definitely go with the ffg thin red/blue line one (actually considering getting one indeed)
I'm not sure about the Endura, but both Endela and Delica Red/Blue line was on sale at Lamnia recently. I was in the market for a knife with CE and considered both. While I do favor the Delica size, I decided on the Endela to get a bit more of both edge types, and to try this handle pattern in a new size. I have several Salt 2s and a Pac Salt already, so while I've never had an actual Delica or Endeura, those wouldn't be as interesting. It also didn't hurt that a certain Austrian has spoken highly of the serrations on the Endela SE.

It is my first Seki FRN with liners, so we'll see how that works out in the long run, but as to CE specifically I have no complaints so far.
I know it's not what the OP is looking for, but personally I'd be hard pressed to choose a saber grind as long as these Thin Line knives exists. I'd at least allow myself to break one before I decided they aren't tough enough.