Looking to get my first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

Re: Looking to get my first Spyderco

Post by Scandi Grind »

How could I forget my favorite! Another option if you can sacrifice the lock would be the Native Chief. If the Native Chief lightweight had been released already, I would have definitely gotten it instead of the Endura.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
dbmc88

Post by dbmc88 »

So many great responses! Thank you everyone for your input and I got a laugh out of few as well! Indeed I ended up with quite a few more to consider but I don't regret it. I appreciate all of you taking your time to help steer me in the right direction and broaden my view. I'm glad I joined, think I'll be sticking around for when I inevitably am on the hunt for my next spydie! But first I'll start stocking up on ramen, may need to skip on the eggs. 😆🍜 Thanks again!
Manix 2 LW BD1N (First Spyderco)
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Are you all mad?

None of the knives recommended give you that reach that Spyderco is known for… this man needs the Spyder throwers!

For the price of one knife, you get three. They are robust. If one goes dull, you have two other knives to work for you.

At a local inn or bar, a Spyder thrower gives you +1 charisma.

If you can’t hack the throwing knives then you sir are no rogue! And in that case start with a native 5 in any flavor and with the left over money get a sharp maker!
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Seems like Sage is your big interest which is all good, but also consider a Manix LWT . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Skar

Post by Skar »

Endura, manix 2 or consider the Gayle Bradley 2.
I think the GB2 is you best option. More than capable in the woods or edc.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

dbmc88 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:41 pm
Hey guys! This is my first post here and I'm looking to get my first Spyderco. Preferably a one and done option for now before I inevitably catch the bug and spiral into a collection, as I can tell already it's not hard to fall into lol! I'm getting YouTube review fatigue 😵 so I figured I'd hop on here and ask you guys for some recommendations.

Here's where I'm at so far... Thinking I prefer the leaf shape blade more, pretty set on the compression lock. Looking for something mainly for EDC but rugged enough for outdoor use, hiking/camping etc. as I spend a fair bit of time out there during the warmer months.

Where I'm torn is between the clearly capable but giant Shaman, but I don't have the biggest of hands, not sure how EDC friendly it would be for me and yikes on the price! Which lead me to the Sage 5 Lightweight, I've seen enough praise to know it's a solid EDC option but not sure if it's suitable for outdoor use.

Nothing too hard like batoning, I have a hatchet for that. But would it hold up out in the woods? If I get into an unlikely but possible survival scenario, or even more unlikely if I encountered a crazy person on the trail, will I wish I got the Shaman instead? 🤔😆 Should I just give into the bug and start the collection now?

Any opinions, other models or any input would be appreciated, thanks!
It sounds like for what you want in that size range 3” blade +- with a compression lock the Sage lightweight may just be a good choice but don’t over look the Manix Lightweight and G-10 models. Lots of different ones to choose from, good bang for the buck, good knife for EDC & SD. Also in my opinion some stellar ergonomics. Though I will say the Sag5 in peal-ply carbon fiber/G-10 is no slouch either.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dbmc,

As Mike said, Welcome to our forum.

My suggestion would be to close your computer and run.

sal
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:04 am
Hi Dbmc,

sal
😂
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
anycal

Post by anycal »

Big fan of the compression lock and camping here. Can't go wrong with PM2. Other than loosing one, it has never failed me for any tasks. Although lately, the Shaman took over the campsite duty.

I would agree that the Sage is a better EDC overall. If you can swing it, Sage for EDC, Military for camping/outdoors. And, as the compression lock Military is about to be released, that may be the way to go.

Perhaps you will find these comparison pics useful. Good luck.

Peter
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

dbmc88 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:41 pm
Hey guys! This is my first post here and I'm looking to get my first Spyderco. Preferably a one and done option for now before I inevitably catch the bug and spiral into a collection, as I can tell already it's not hard to fall into lol! I'm getting YouTube review fatigue 😵 so I figured I'd hop on here and ask you guys for some recommendations.

Here's where I'm at so far... Thinking I prefer the leaf shape blade more, pretty set on the compression lock. Looking for something mainly for EDC but rugged enough for outdoor use, hiking/camping etc. as I spend a fair bit of time out there during the warmer months.

Where I'm torn is between the clearly capable but giant Shaman, but I don't have the biggest of hands, not sure how EDC friendly it would be for me and yikes on the price! Which lead me to the Sage 5 Lightweight, I've seen enough praise to know it's a solid EDC option but not sure if it's suitable for outdoor use.

Nothing too hard like batoning, I have a hatchet for that. But would it hold up out in the woods? If I get into an unlikely but possible survival scenario, or even more unlikely if I encountered a crazy person on the trail, will I wish I got the Shaman instead? 🤔😆 Should I just give into the bug and start the collection now?

Any opinions, other models or any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Welcome to the forum!
All that I will say to you is this: I got my first Spyderco 1-13-23. In just a few months I have 6 :cheap-sunglasses . See my Signature. This is not including my non Spyderco knives.
Last edited by mongo1958 on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:04 am
Hi Dbmc,

sal
Salesman of the year!🤣
Mongo1958
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
dbmc88

Post by dbmc88 »

The package is secured! I am officially the proud owner of a Manix 2 LW! It's the newer model with the screw together construction as well! So far I really like it, seems like the perfect balance for EDC and the outdoors. Thanks again to everyone for your advice! Alas I also have a few more on my list now, safe to say indeed it won't be my last and I'm not mad about it. Now to just get the hang of the spydey flick.... 🤔😆
Attachments
PXL_20230331_003427077.jpg
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dbmc88 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:38 pm
The package is secured! I am officially the proud owner of a Manix 2 LW! It's the newer model with the screw together construction as well! So far I really like it, seems like the perfect balance for EDC and the outdoors. Thanks again to everyone for your advice! Alas I also have a few more on my list now, safe to say indeed it won't be my last and I'm not mad about it. Now to just get the hang of the spydey flick.... 🤔😆

Very nice, one of the best EDC knives you could get imo! I can't imagine being without a Manix 2 LW (in my case the REX 45 variant).

What others are you considering? :smirk

Spydieflick: Not important to master at all, but for me most of the times more convenient and a bit quicker and safer in hand than slow rolling.
As always my number one tip: Don't imagine you'd push/flick the blade "outwards" / away from the handle but rather that you "shoot it out the front of the handle" (so push the finger in the hole forward, parallel to the handle, not perpendicular away from it).
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

dbmc88 wrote:
Good choice. The Manix is an excellent knife.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

If you love the manix LW (who wouldn’t?! It’s a beautiful bit of engineering), then I would heartily recommend the Manix XL as your next knife. It’s basically a regular manix, but sized for fighting bear in your underpants. It’s also acceptable to use it for bushcraft, general cutting and even as a rudimentary spoon for eating yoghurt (in the unlikely event that there are no bear around or you happen to be fully clothed).
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if there's a bear in your underpants, i'm not sure a knife is going to help you.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:15 am
if there's a bear in your underpants, i'm not sure a knife is going to help you.
Well played sir! 🤣
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Congrats. You made a most excellent choice. It is so light that you will actually forget it is in your pocket.
Do you you have a sharpener?
Mongo1958
dbmc88

Post by dbmc88 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:00 am
dbmc88 wrote:

Very nice, one of the best EDC knives you could get imo! I can't imagine being without a Manix 2 LW (in my case the REX 45 variant).

What others are you considering? :smirk

Spydieflick: Not important to master at all, but for me most of the times more convenient and a bit quicker and safer in hand than slow rolling.
As always my number one tip: Don't imagine you'd push/flick the blade "outwards" / away from the handle but rather that you "shoot it out the front of the handle" (so push the finger in the hole forward, parallel to the handle, not perpendicular away from it).
https://youtu.be/Y-v-iWnsLdc

I got it! Followed your advice and instantly happened. Now I can do it every time. Thanks for that! On my list.. still have the Sage 5 in the cart idk I just like the look of it. Also the Para 2 and the Endura. I like the salt versions as well I do a bit of fishing at the ocean so I'm sure one of those models will end up in my tackle box. So glad I joined this forum.. you guys rock!
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

entry error, removed
Last edited by mongo1958 on Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo1958