Looking to get my first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbmc88

Looking to get my first Spyderco

Post by dbmc88 »

Hey guys! This is my first post here and I'm looking to get my first Spyderco. Preferably a one and done option for now before I inevitably catch the bug and spiral into a collection, as I can tell already it's not hard to fall into lol! I'm getting YouTube review fatigue 😵 so I figured I'd hop on here and ask you guys for some recommendations.

Here's where I'm at so far... Thinking I prefer the leaf shape blade more, pretty set on the compression lock. Looking for something mainly for EDC but rugged enough for outdoor use, hiking/camping etc. as I spend a fair bit of time out there during the warmer months.

Where I'm torn is between the clearly capable but giant Shaman, but I don't have the biggest of hands, not sure how EDC friendly it would be for me and yikes on the price! Which lead me to the Sage 5 Lightweight, I've seen enough praise to know it's a solid EDC option but not sure if it's suitable for outdoor use.

Nothing too hard like batoning, I have a hatchet for that. But would it hold up out in the woods? If I get into an unlikely but possible survival scenario, or even more unlikely if I encountered a crazy person on the trail, will I wish I got the Shaman instead? 🤔😆 Should I just give into the bug and start the collection now?

Any opinions, other models or any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Michael Janich

Re: Looking to get my first Spyderco

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear dbmc88:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Shaman is large by most standards, if you are okay with EDCing a large knife, it's a great one. The Sage is much more suited to typical EDC uses for most people and the size means it is probably somewhat more acceptable in daily use. I think it would handle camp situations just fine as well. I have 1 Shaman and it is quite nice, but underused. It's just more than I need on a regular basis.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :smlling-eyes

- The Sage will certainly be able to handle all your outdoor use - as far as I can see it has a sturdy blade, and the tip will be strong too due to the leaf shape
I personally would find the blade/edge a bit short though for outdoor (and also general EDC) use, also, but not only in (outdoor) food prep

- The Shaman would be too beefy, heavy and thick bladed for my liking, from what I know. I do use my folders "hard", but never felt the need for a blade sturdier than lets say on an ffg Endura

- Did you consider PM2 or Caribbean?
Both offer a comp.lock, both are clearly lighter (and probably slicier) than a Shaman with about similar size, and the latter offers a huge amount of edge for the overall size and is pretty much completely rustproof (and available in great serrated edge, that´s what I´d take)

If you could settle for a CBBL (caged ball bearing lock) the Manix would be a logical choice for what you want ( I personally would take a CBBL over a comp.lock any day of the week anyway, even more so in the outdoors)
Leaf shaped blade, in many ways kind of a larger Sage, and for me a very good and compact carry in more "urban" EDC - especially the lightweight (ok, I don´t even have experience with the heavier G10 version)! Though light, still very sturdy
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Welcome to the forum. I think a pm2 would tick a lot of your boxes. I’ve taken mine on countless hunting/fishing/outdoor trips and used it a lot; it’s held up very well over the years.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dbmc88 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:41 pm
Hey guys! .....

... and as always: Your follow up posts will most likely not show up immediately: This is why viewtopic.php?f=11&t=88927#p1496705 and it will change soon... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:16 am

- The Sage will certainly be able to handle all your outdoor use - as far as I can see it has a sturdy blade, and the tip will be strong too due to the leaf shape
I personally would find the blade/edge a bit short though for outdoor (and also general EDC) use, also, but not only in (outdoor) food prep

- The Shaman would be too beefy, heavy and thick bladed for my liking, from what I know. I do use my folders "hard", but never felt the need for a blade sturdier than lets say on an ffg Endura

Both offer a comp.lock, both are clearly lighter (and probably slicier) than a Shaman with about similar size, and the latter offers a huge amount of edge for the overall size and is pretty much completely rustproof (and available in great serrated edge, that´s what I´d take)

If you could settle for a CBBL (caged ball bearing lock) the Manix would be a logical choice for what you want ( I personally would take a CBBL over a comp.lock any day of the week anyway, even more so in the outdoors)
Leaf shaped blade, in many ways kind of a larger Sage, and for me a very good and compact carry in more "urban" EDC - especially the lightweight (ok, I don´t even have experience with the heavier G10 version)! Though light, still very sturdy
I agree with all of this. I would add that a good, solid and vault strong back lock would be my first choice. Something like an Endura comes to mind. It is slim enough to actually carry even when not in the field and rugged enough to do whatever needs doing. Another top choice would be the Straight Spine Stretch. This is a really superb knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Wartstein wrote:

The Caribbean ticks all the boxes. Leaf shape available, compression lock, and more than capable for outdoor use. I love LC200N too, it takes a nice edge easily, is tough, and virtually impervious to rust. If anything it might be a little bulky for EDC but that’s more personally subjective.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

If you are only getting one knife I would go with a Paramilitary 2. Lightweight, compression lock, superior steels available and only lacks the leaf shaped blade. For me a 3.5" blade is perfect. 3" too short and the Shaman is too heavy for me to EDC.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-par ... s90v-blade

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-par ... wear-blade

https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-para-mili ... flow-satin
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Sage 5 lw or Manix 2 lw would be my choices for you…personally I like the Manix 2 lw as my hands are xl glove size, aIso I consider it more an outdoor capable knife…I have a Sage 5 lw too and it does have the compression lock so…either way you really can’t go wrong…for a little bigger blade the Caribbean is awesome as well as the Pacific salt 2…eventually you’ll own a few different choices which allows you to match a knife w/your particular needs 👊
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

It sounds like you’ve picked the Sage, and your first choice is often the best choice. There will always be other options, but I’ve yet to regret a Spyderco purchase. I say go for it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
I agree with all of this. I would add that a good, solid and vault strong back lock would be my first choice. Something like an Endura comes to mind. It is slim enough to actually carry even when not in the field and rugged enough to do whatever needs doing. Another top choice would be the Straight Spine Stretch. This is a really superb knife.

Doc, certainly one of my first choices too.
Just did not suggest the Endura since the OP specifically asked about leaf shape blade and comp.lock (and sizewise perhaps not longer than a Shaman).
But if I suggest without any restrictions: Endura is a perfect all around and (if this was even possible.... :winking-tongue ) - "have only one to do it all" folder...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I find that I adjust to my situation and my knife preferences follow suit. Right now I'm in a work environment that's not big on knives in general so I've been carrying a Native. Typically I would prefer a blade at around 3.75 inches of cutting edge, but here lately I've used that Native so much that when I go back to those full size knives they feel enormous.

If I were buying just one it would probably be a larger model, because usually a big knife can do all the small knife jobs, but a small knife is sometimes just too small. I really like the Shaman so that would probably be my choice.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Sage is your best bet. Small enough for edc but big and sturdy enough for a trip in the bush.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

My first was the Para 3 LW. About 1.5 seconds after I opened it and held it in my hand I knew it would be the first of many Spyderco knives. It gives you the compression lock at a lower price to see if you like it, and the blade is sub-3" in case that is a factor in your local knife laws.

The Native 5 LW is also a great way to go, and would be sturdy enough with the mid-backlock to handle more than normal EDC stuff. It is also priced lower than the Sage or PM2.

Good luck, and maybe buy some Ramen Noodles. Add an egg and you have dinner for under a buck. The *first* Spydie is seldom the last Spydie...
Brian
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

welcome!

before i got to the knives you were considering, your post was already screaming, "I NEED A SAGE 5 LW!" to me. it's a robust little blade, but not too small. if you can handle a little bigger, i'd recommend the manix, but it's obviously a different lock. i'd suggest either of those over the shaman for edc, and probably a bigger knife or a fixed blade for the woods. the sage would still be fine in the outdoors for small tasks and the manix would be slightly better because it's bigger. another option you shouldn't overlook is the leafjumper. the backlock might be more comfortable for bearing down when cutting wood for longer times.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

My first expensive knife and first spyderco was a paramilitary 2. Its what got me hooked on spydercos. The pm2 is much more suited for in the woods than the sage imo. Sage is good for hanging out at the office or back yard bbq. Ultimately you will own both so this post is pointless. What ever you choose, congratulations on your first spyderco!....
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You're going to regret asking that question...you're going to end up with about 15 answers.

The answer is a Manix though ;)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

If I go out in the woods, I typically carry a 3.5 to 4.5 inch fixed blade that covers my larger knife needs, in which case I would go the Sage route as my backup smaller knife. Love the look of the Sage. If I wanted something to carry by itself though, I would want something bigger than a Sage, and in my case it is an Endura. The Shaman is good if you can stand the weight and like a beefy blade stock. Otherwise if you can sacrifice on the comp lock your best bet would be a Manix, or if you can sacrifice on the leaf blade, it would be a Pm 2.

A note on the humped blade of the Pm 2, I thought I wouldn't like the similar hump on my Endura, but have found it quite comfortable and it give excellent hand security, so the Pm 2 could be worth a thought. I totally love Spyderco's leaf blades though, so I get that.

I can't comment on the Manix's CBBL lock or how it would compare to a compression lock though since I haven't tried either.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

You'll prolly do well with a sage, caribbean or pm2-- whichever design speaks to you. IMO the shaman is a bit less practical. Caribbean gets my vote for outdoors worthiness because it's got the longer blade and a rust proof and tough steel.