Para 3 Lightweight - Rattle Noise? ***RESOLVED BY SPYDERCO CUSTOMER SERVICE***

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Traditional.Sharpening

Para 3 Lightweight - Rattle Noise? ***RESOLVED BY SPYDERCO CUSTOMER SERVICE***

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

I'm trying to troubleshoot what may be causing this light metallic jingling/rattling sound when the knife is lightly jostled and can't seem to figure it out. I don't believe it's the pocket clip but it seems to be something internal. Anybody have any idea what my best course of action would be here? Not trying to complain but I'd like to fix it myself if possible, like the knife overall (new to me and owner didn't say the rattle was there prior to shipping to me, maybe it got dropped along the way?). If it makes any difference this model is BD1N w/ Black FRP w/ Stonewashed plain blade and full screw construction.
Last edited by Traditional.Sharpening on Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frankie2blue

Re: Para 3 Lightweight - Rattle Noise?

Post by Frankie2blue »

Lanyard tube maybe?
Traditional.Sharpening

Actually I just discovered where it is coming from. If I turn the knife slowly in hand like turning a screwdriver I can see the phosphor bronze washer shift a good 5mm on the the pivot pin. Not sure what this may mean but somebody should have an idea why and how to fix. The washer is on the side of the blade where the compression lock is positioned.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Does it happen both open and closed?
Traditional.Sharpening

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:50 pm
Does it happen both open and closed?
Yes, both open and close but possibly a bit more obvious closed.
Traditional.Sharpening

Double tap, sorry.
Last edited by Traditional.Sharpening on Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Interesting. I would have thought it might have something to do with a loose detent, but obviously not. Someone will know.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Do you actually know what 5mm looks like, because if the washer is moving that much the whole knife should be rattling. 5mm of movement would indicate someone put a giant washer in there by mistake and it is free floating around the pivot. If this is the case, you should probably have wild blade play and very poor centering. Is the knife new? Where did you buy it?
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Stonewashed? I thought those were satin finished.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:22 am
Unless he modded it? Which if so, perhaps he took it apart and didn’t quite assemble it properly?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The finish has sort of a cloudy look to it compared to other satin blades. I can see how it could be mistaken for stonewashed.
Traditional.Sharpening

araneae wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:54 am
Do you actually know what 5mm looks like, because if the washer is moving that much the whole knife should be rattling. 5mm of movement would indicate someone put a giant washer in there by mistake and it is free floating around the pivot. If this is the case, you should probably have wild blade play and very poor centering. Is the knife new? Where did you buy it?
I mispoke, it's probably no more than a couple mm's. It is easily noticed movement so it's not exactly a tiny distance.

I bought this secondhand of Bladeforums. The knife has good centering and perhaps a bit of side to side play.
Traditional.Sharpening

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:22 am
Mine actually (upon looking again) displays more along the lines of a fine cut bead blasted finish. It's not stonewash but rather a very uniform matte color that is free of either satin's parallel scratches or stonewash's random pattern.
Traditional.Sharpening

I did speak with Warranty person at Spyderco and they said it may just be a loose pivot (definitely could have been loosened by the owner before me) but they had no way of knowing what it truly is without sending it in for a look.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:26 pm
I did speak with Warranty person at Spyderco and they said it may just be a loose pivot (definitely could have been loosened by the owner before me) but they had no way of knowing what it truly is without sending it in for a look.
You shouldn't need warranty to tell you if your pivot is loose. Does it wobble side to side when open? If yes, it's loose. Get you some proper tools.
Mine actually (upon looking again) displays more along the lines of a fine cut bead blasted finish. It's not stonewash but rather a very uniform matte color that is free of either satin's parallel scratches or stonewash's random pattern.

I am wondering if you bought a fake. That doesn't sound factory.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Traditional.Sharpening

araneae wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:50 pm
Traditional.Sharpening wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:26 pm
You shouldn't need warranty to tell you if your pivot is loose. Does it wobble side to side when open? If yes, it's loose. Get you some proper tools.

I am wondering if you bought a fake. That doesn't sound factory.
Yes, I am new to folders almost entirely after a decade of fixed blade only obsession. Tools are the next order of business, picked out some Wiha's just for this type stuff.

I don't believe the knife is a fake but maybe if I post a pic or two here someone may know for sure. I've seen other Spyderco's with this sort of cloudy finish and it rather looks like this Nick Shabazz video example. Not bright and polished for certain.

https://youtu.be/NKYZ1xx2fqg
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

Mine looks like the video. Came from SFO.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That is for sure how they look. It's a cloudy/matte finish, with no grain/scratch pattern.
Traditional.Sharpening

Just wanted to give an update and a note of appreciation as I've had this issue resolved under warranty. I sent this in a few weeks ago along with my BD1N Manix 2 LW that I noticed somehow suffered a cracked scale right at the pivot. I received a couple boxes from Spyderco today and one was the warranty return package, the other was the 15V Mule's (giggity giggity). I did actually receive two shipping notice emails from UPS/Spyderco and didn't realize it wasn't just a duplicate for 15V order. All said and done I cannot complain at all about the turnaround time and communication giving notice of shipping.

The Para 3 was deemed to be defective in some non-disclosed way and was stated to be kept for research purposes and replaced with a brand new Para 3 LW in BD1N and this one is an excellent example from what I can tell. The Manix LW seems to have had the handle scale replaced on one side and returned as-is otherwise. I requested that the edges not be sharpened as I do my own edge work and they respected my wishes here despite the tip having been dinged a bit when I sent it as there was no grinding done to the edge upon receipt. Thank you very much Sal and the entire Spyderco family, keep on rockin'!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Glad it worked out.
I'm impressed that the Spyder Elves respected your request regarding the edge. Once I sent a knife back to another manufacturer with the same request, and it didn't turn out as well.