"hard use"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpyderGrill

Re: "hard use"

Post by SpyderGrill »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:44 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:55 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:14 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:54 pm
Here is one of the examples I brought when it comes to "hard use" viewtopic.php?t=79554&start=780#p1344045
Im not calling anyone out, but if your climb that mountain, make a feather stick, strike a ferro rod, make a fire, make a cup of coffee, cook up some beans...... You know, hard use. Your posts with all the quotation marks and parentheses makes my head explode trying to read it by the way

:thinking I could be wrong, but you seem to be quite angry and try to prove a point, and I am not sure why exactly- ?

Anyway, if you try to prove whatever point I'd ask you to not just bring up random, made up examples but actually quote and discuss what people here actually list as their folder hard use.

Yes, I also "make feather sticks, a fire and coffee", but never even called that hard use and literally listed in my first post here ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94568#p1705489) what I consider as folder (!) hard use that I actually do, including

- cutting sheath metal
- twisting the edge in hard wood
- prying hard wood apart
- generally prying
- batoning
- drilling holes with the tip
- cutting tough, man made material
- forcing the blade under zip ties, twisting and turning it there to cut those...

I also gave one example for my hard use ( viewtopic.php?t=79554&start=780#p1344045 ), where I have to work very fast while unpacking helicopter loads, cut all kinds of packing straps and materials, hit the metal of barrels with blade and tip....

I am happily awaiting your reply if these things count as (folder) hard use for you or not (they might not, but "making feathersticks and coffee" is made up by you, and nothing I actually listed as my "hard use")
I was trying to say to add to your beautiful mountain top pics, add some pics building a fire, make a cup of coffee or soup showing using the knife you took all the way up there. How did you use the knife on the hike up? Did it stay in your pocket all the way up and down? Did you kill a mountain lion with it?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

why does it matter to you if someone takes a spyderco knife all the way up a mountain just to take a picture of it? does that make it less capable as a cutting tool just because it wasn't needed to cut something?

if i'm actually working, it's highly doubtful that i'm going to be thinking about taking pictures, let alone stop in the middle of what i'm doing to actually take them.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Well you started this topic so Im confused what you want to know.

I dont care how anyone uses their knife or if they just want to post a pic and win the photo of the week contest.

I would really like to see some Spydercos in "hard use" though. And hear about how they performed. But like I said, this is not the place to see such results.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:39 pm
Well you started this topic so Im confused what you want to know.

I dont care how anyone uses their knife or if they just want to post a pic and win the photo of the week contest.

I would really like to see some Spydercos in "hard use" though. And hear about how they performed. But like I said, this is not the place to see such results.
Asking the question doesn't equate to people taking pictures and documenting these situations.

Honestly, taking pictures of knives feels a bit awkward and unproductive. If/when I do it I usually have some time to spare, or at least not in a hurry, and I definitely try to do it in my own company and avoid attention from others.
By my own definition I don't hard use my folders very much, but in the situations where I depend on my knives and use them for real knife tasks, I wouldn't stop to take a picture. E.g. if I'm field dressing an animal, well first of all I'd be quite busy and focused on the task, second I'd be all messy and couldn't realistically operate a camera.
If I'm on a SAR call out, there's just no time for taking pictures. And even if there was, pictures from SAR operations are subject to strict publishing procedures - so I basically couldn't upload it here anyways.

What remain are the mundane pictures that could be somewhat arranged, e.g. when I'm outdoors enjoying life or work on a project around the property that isn't too time critical.

I absolutely agree that it would be fun to see more pictures- and read more stories of our knives used under more exciting circumstances, but I realize why that could be difficult to achieve.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Don't know if you've tried but turns out it's pretty dang difficult to take pictures safely while you're actually using a knife, yet alone "hard use". But in the interest of those here complaining of no actual photos presenting evidence of use, I dug through my photos and found a couple of spydies. We are counting copper as hard use right? I do.

It also turns out that if you take care of your tools they don't have to look all crappy, scratched, dirty, etc just because you use them hard.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Liner lock and S30V Russian expose.
https://youtu.be/-MxCDbAW638
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

How to turn your Paramilitary 2 into a stealthy half inch Emerson opener.

https://youtu.be/5ED58nK6Gpc
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

shunsui wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:47 am
Liner lock and S30V Russian expose.
I can remember that vid.

Speaks for two of my points once more:

1.) In "hard use" it is the tip that's most vulnerable and it makes sense to give a strong blade also a strong tip if real hard use is a main concern

2 ) The Millie really would not need a comp.lock for even more lock strength (but perhaps for other reasons for some).
I can't really imagine that a Millie (!) linerlock has ever been "too weak" or failed on someone
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Yeah, it's an oldy. Someone did a translation to English, but those old bookmarks got busted when the forum software changed.

EDIT: Got to thinking I might have saved that post. Took awhile but I found it:

The Orange Military video translation by nozh2002:

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... tary-Video

nozh2002
Spyderco Forum Registered User
Translation.

Bros for Ural Mountains...
https://youtu.be/-MxC...e_gdata_player
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Hi guys - here we have 30 now on Milya (sleng for Military in Russian, sound also like Russian word for "lovely" (like Milla jovovich) - 30 means CPM S30V).
- First canned beef..,
opening can...
- Wow, pretty good, don't you think. No chips nothing.
- Year in deed.
- Looks like they do special Mili HT
- Lets go to the bridge (test location on frozen lake)...
moving to testing spot.
Hitting spine to test if lock fail.
- No failure...
- Let me. cut can through, want to see full length of the edge to be in use...
- Cuttig just nice...
- It is a soft can
- May be...
- We droped one in camp fire and it burns out while we were talking...
- May be, May be, I can not deny that...
finishing with can.
- So looks prett good - push cut, draw cut...
- Next pointless test... Someone my ask why, well, just to show what Milya is (slang for Military).
Start stubbing into iron sheet
- Wow, Stubbing very nicely...
- Do you thing it is better then ZT?
- Sure it is.
Cleaning knife with king size - XXL toilet paper as he joke...
Stubbing more.
- Lets move to two layers.
Showing knife to camera - no visible damage.
- Cool man!
- Am I going to love 30V now???
- Sure. Isn't it good!
- It is good in did, it has my vote!
- Lets go with two...
Stubbing two layers of iron sheet
- Show this holes close up.
- Now lets whittle some wood.
- Why not whittle iron?
- Obvioucely it will be harder to whittle wood after iron...
Whittle piece of wood
- Wow it does whittle, just nice, and shaves are pretty authentic...
- Cool. cool.
- Lets check lock - Lock is fine in place.
close knife.
- Does blade runs away a bit?
- Does not looks so - right in the middel
- Feels like that when I was whittling...
- Lets drill a hole.
stabbing knife in the wood, screwing it into wood to make hole
- Stub it harder!
- Spinning test. to check pivot and lock strength...
breaking tip - about quater of an inch
- Oh... Sorry guys Milya tip did not stand that... Well I am not going to continue drilling...Sorry.
- Hey you need to take it out - just glue it back - easy pisy... Or sent it back to Spyderco for Warranty...
taking out broken tip
- Yea... Sure...
- Let show the brake close.
- Well, it was expected of course, such a thin tip...
- You should just glue it back...
- No I am going to weld it...Lets try whittle iron.
whittle iron-sheet
- It does not whittle iron.
- No see, it does a bit.
showing some shave on iron
- Well I am not going to kill myself - it did whittle a little. But listen, edge is fine (no significant damage I guess)
- So were is our nail? Her it is - our faivorite... Let me put lock out of equasion... We will test it later. Lets chop some nails...
- Militarr S30V Russian hard use...
- Wait, wait, wiat, let me do like macro!
- Are you ready?
hammering blade into nail.
- It is not going right when it is not open...
- Let show our place here - our biggers house - 9 flours house, tower...
- Here it is - 9 flours!...
- Second one - tower there...
- F.. I see nothing on this display.
- Do not swear on camera...
- I do not f..ing swear...
- Let go back to testing lock. It opens, it closes...
hitting spine.
- It closes!
- It looks like blade finally run away.
open back and continue testing lock.
- Well, looks good.
- Yea looks good.
- In deed working lock. It closes, it opens, it closes, it opens... Lets hit it more, what if someone will complain that we did not hit is long enough...
- It looks like it stays as it was before.
- Lets chop nail with open blade. Should we?
- Sure.
chopping nail
- Is nail going in....
- Oh, I feel some blade play.
- Lock failed.
- Something happen to lock. There is blade play.

Conclusion by tester.

- Well, you know, I am very happy! Knife turns out to be pretty good one! Tip of course did not survive, but it is expected - very delicate tip.
Edge is acceptable.
- Edge is better then on ZT.

- What esle to do?
batonning knife into iron-sheet
- Batonning, batonning... - Metalling! (Baton in Russian is name for French bread).
- So how is metalling...
- Well, if someone think - what an idiots... we are doing it only for you - Now it is pretty clear that this knife is pretty good.
- Yes, but I do not know why same steel did not stand same way on ParaMilitary.
- May be different HT? May be some HT inconsistancy on PM?
- See it does cut wood. Also even there is some blade play - lock holds just fine. I guess I can unbend lock a bit to eliminate that play. Also see no horizontal play. So is it all?
batonning it into can.
- So you should say some final word.
- Worse for buying...
- Ha, ha, ha...
- Worse for buying...
- But serioucely we throw everything at it? Did we? Stubbing, cutting nailt, drilling... Drilling was not complete, but it is excusablew with this thin tip.
- I still can whittle and cut something.
- Ok. Thanks everybody! More tests coming...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by shunsui on Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Here's another oldy.

https://youtu.be/pmFViX0DVXs

and a new one.

https://youtu.be/Qx4HwceVPu8