fixture/shim to make golden stone 30/15 instead of 40/20?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

fixture/shim to make golden stone 30/15 instead of 40/20?

Post by sethwm »

Hey folks, does anyone have a 3d print model for something to make the golden stone be able to do 15 dps rather than 20? I don't think spyderco sells such a thing.
Evil D

Re: fixture/shim to make golden stone 30/15 instead of 40/20?

Post by Evil D »

The base that comes with the Webfoot also works with the Goldenstone, but I'm not sure if they sell it separately or if they ever will. It'll probably only be a matter of time before these are 3D printed regardless, and I would even expect different angle options.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

sethwm wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:23 pm
Hey folks, does anyone have a 3d print model for something to make the golden stone be able to do 15 dps rather than 20? I don't think spyderco sells such a thing.

Thank you for this post, and reminder!

I started on a project a few years ago. I bought two of the Spyderco Galley V Knife Sharpener 600F (10°), back in August of 2020. I know, because I just now scrolled back through about one thousand photos to find the pics, and they are dated for then. :smlling-eyes

I kept one as a kitchen touch-up sharpener, and the other one I modded so that I could vary the angle, buy just placing a different sized round rod under the center of it. I wanted this style of Spyderco touch-up sharpener. One for the kitchen, and another one to use for some of my 14 degree pocket knives as well.

Now I don't know what your mentioned 'Golden Stone' looks like, but this post reminded me that someone back then in the 3D printing community was going to work on this, and then I never did hear back, and I forgot about it. I still use both sharpeners for touch-ups, but I'd sure love to revisit getting some pieces printed for this base. The rod thing works good, but is kind of hokey looking. :zany

I'd like to get at least two upside down 'V' bases printed for this, to bolt it on. So that I would then have three angle settings to choose from. Stock (10°), a 14°, and maybe a 17° or 18°.

The 'rods' I used under this base are from one of my transfer punch sets. So I can select one that is only a few thousandths of an inch different from another. Allowing me to dial in the exact angle wanted, pretty easily. Now that I have those numbers, I can have the base printed to that exact height in the middle.

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:40 pm
sethwm wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:23 pm

Thank you for this post, and reminder!

I started on a project a few years ago. I bought two of the Spyderco Galley V Knife Sharpener 600F (10°), back in August of 2020. I know, because I just now scrolled back through about one thousand photos to find the pics, and they are dated for then. :smlling-eyes

I kept one as a kitchen touch-up sharpener, and the other one I modded so that I could vary the angle, buy just placing a different sized round rod under the center of it. I wanted this style of Spyderco touch-up sharpener. One for the kitchen, and another one to use for some of my 14 degree pocket knives as well.

Now I don't know what your mentioned 'Golden Stone' looks like, but this post reminded me that someone back then in the 3D printing community was going to work on this, and then I never did hear back, and I forgot about it. I still use both sharpeners for touch-ups, but I'd sure love to revisit getting some pieces printed for this base. The rod thing works good, but is kind of hokey looking. :zany

I'd like to get at least two upside down 'V' bases printed for this, to bolt it on. So that I would then have three angle settings to choose from. Stock (10°), a 14°, and maybe a 17° or 18°.

The 'rods' I used under this base are from one of my transfer punch sets. So I can select one that is only a few thousandths of an inch different from another. Allowing me to dial in the exact angle wanted, pretty easily. Now that I have those numbers, I can have the base printed to that exact height in the middle.

Steve, how much hinge did you leave on the Galley-V base you modified?
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

[/quote]
Steve, how much hinge did you leave on the Galley-V base you modified?
[/quote]

I would say about 0.094", Bill1170. I work with plastic quite a bit, and I cut it so that it would open up 'fairly' easy, but left enough behind to keep it (hopefully) from cracking all of the way through. Worst case scenario, if it does end up cracking later. I keep some various thicknesses of thin Black ABS sheet stock here (0.031". 0.062, 0.093", etc.). I would then slide it back together, and mount it to a piece of thin sheet, that is flexible.