Anyone ever see this on a new Endura 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bennett

Anyone ever see this on a new Endura 4

Post by Bennett »

I’ve been meaning to join the forum for general information and discussion purposes, so I guess this is as good of time as any. I recently purchased a Endura 4 new from Bento Box in HAP40/SUS410. The only way to explain this is the blade looks like it’s been sharpened for years. It’s not only ground to the ricasso (secondary grind), the main grind is missing about 1/16th inch.
For the record, I don’t complain about slight lock rock on these lock backs, or uneven bevels, I just fix that in sharpening. I’m very realistic about factory knives, but a new knife that’s lost so much blade life seems crazy.
I know a lot of people have been on this forum for a long time, and must have seen a lot of different issues, so I was wondering if anyone had anything to add or any opinions or advice. Is it just me?
download/file.php?mode=view&id=53680
Attachments
93EBA05F-B067-415F-A085-2F9D582625B9.jpeg
Michael Janich

Re: Anyone ever see this on a new Endura 4

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Bennett:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I haven't seen a new knife that bad since Queen went under. I'd be demanding a refund or replacement.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Welcome, Bennett. So that's sold as "new"? I've never seen such. Can you return it?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
dan31

Post by dan31 »

That looks like a factory grind out of Japan. I bought a HAP40 from BBS as well. I will check it tomorrow. I don’t think you have many choices. BBS will send you to Spyderco SFO. Might get a credit for at the SFO store but it will likely be MSRP.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Ooof.. looks factory to me, but I don't think i've ever seen one ground quite that excessively..

Unfortunately, if you're unable to live with it, you may be out of luck. BBS's return policy is.. aggressively nonexistent. Being a discontinued Sprint run, it's unlikely that Spyderco has any on hand for a replacement. They may only be able to offer credit.

I feel for you.. that's the risk taken with BBS.. they can be the only place with some of the older, more obscure models in stock, which is cool if you're willing to pay a premium and the knife arrives in suitable condidtion.. BBS has paid off for me before.. but.. if the knife arrives with subpar f&f.. well, here we are..

If it were me personally.. if the knife is in good shape aside from the wonky grind, I'd put it to work and call it a lesson learned about doing business with Bento Box Shop..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:26 am
Ooof.. looks factory to me, but I don't think i've ever seen one ground quite that excessively..

Unfortunately, if you're unable to live with it, you may be out of luck. BBS's return policy is.. aggressively nonexistent. Being a discontinued Sprint run, it's unlikely that Spyderco has any on hand for a replacement. They may only be able to offer credit.

I feel for you.. that's the risk taken with BBS.. they can be the only place with some of the older, more obscure models in stock, which is cool if you're willing to pay a premium and the knife arrives in suitable condidtion.. BBS has paid off for me before.. but.. if the knife arrives with subpar f&f.. well, here we are..

If it were me personally.. if the knife is in good shape aside from the wonky grind, I'd put it to work and call it a lesson learned about doing business with Bento Box Shop..

Got my HAP 40 Stretch 1 from BBS too some time ago, that one is perfect
As is my HAP 40 Endura (which I got from another vendor) - really perfectly ground, grind same height on both sides and throughout the entire edge length

OP, yours looks much like a knife being sharpened already multiple times indeed ,but I can´t imagine that this is the case, especially SINCE BBS does not allow returning of knives (so most likely no one returned a used one).

But, yes : I´d also just forget about the looks and use the knife. It is probably my best plain edge work knife, in that exact configuration. Only reason I don´t use it a lot anymore, cause I am more into SE these days.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Let's all remember that the seller did not make the knife, though they should have rejected it from Spyderco. Spyderco had the knife made at one of their long term partners and it passed Spyderco's stringent QC process. Read into that what you will.

I checked what I had close at hand and my KC Endela is not nearly as poor as the OP's Endura.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Huh, that is weird. It looks either sharpened or like the factory grind just went too high. I got a VG-10 Endura recently that has a 1/16 inch section at the ricasso unground (doesn't bother me), but yours is ground higher than it should be, you can even tell by the fact that the cladding line gets closer to the edge there. If it doesn't bug too much, you could just keep it, otherwise this forum might be the best spot to ask Spyderco if there is anything they would be willing to do. I don't think there is much you can do yourself to "fix" it since you cant put metal back.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

That doesnt look very good. None of my enduras, or hap40, or really any of my Seki knives have that.

Must have been on the grinder for an extra little bit. Nothing to do now but use it I guess.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sharpening that close to the kick is rather difficult and that kind of thing sometimes happens. Someone didn't get the edge ground all the way. There is nothing wrong that I can see that you can't fix.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Some of that "ledge" is normal these days but this one does seem to be a bit over sharpened. It's probably not the end of the world if you're going to use it anyway, but also I think a reasonable thing to be unhappy with. I'd personally just return it, it would bug me forever.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Here are two rather old pics (click to enlarge) of mine, just for perspective- and this was after some sharpenings

Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
araneae

Post by araneae »

Doesn't look good, should probably have been pulled as a factory second. Bento box shop and their no returns policy is a no go for me.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Bennett

Post by Bennett »

A very sincere thank you to everyone for answering my post, and offering opinions and advice. I know BBS is usually always over MSRP, but it never occurred to me that Spyderco (rightly so) if giving a credit would be the actual MSRP. The no return policy is definitely a double edge sword, you’re never getting a returned knife but times like this is can blow up in your face. I think I’ll contact Spyderco and see what they say, before trying to convince myself keeping the knife is ok. I’m also going to stay away from no return policies I think, for a long time.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

It’s a bit of bad luck. Spyderco usually inspects knives from Japan before accepting them in stock and sending them out to dealers. I hope they help you out.

I did look at my HAP40 Endura from BBS and it looks normal like other Endura’s. Just bum luck on that knife.
Bennett

Post by Bennett »

dan31 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:50 am
It’s a bit of bad luck. Spyderco usually inspects knives from Japan before accepting them in stock and sending them out to dealers. I hope they help you out.

I did look at my HAP40 Endura from BBS and it looks normal like other Endura’s. Just bum luck on that knife.
Thanks for checking, I’m hoping Spyderco will be able to do something also. No doubt I drew the short stick from the inventory and was quite shocked. Of all the Endura models I own and have owned, I’ve never seen one with so much material ground away.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I just received a salt 2 wharncliffe that’s pretty similar…
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006