ivory FRN would be fun

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: ivory FRN would be fun

Post by Evil D »

I hope I didn't come off as argumentative or anything. I have an art background is all. FRN coloring is hit and miss anyway and I don't quite understand why, it seems like mixing the color into the resin would be a standardized practice and even factories from different countries could do the same things. Maybe I don't understand enough about how the stuff is made but mixing paint is mixing paint whether you're in Colorado or you're in Japan, I guess FRN is more complicated than paint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have a similar background, so I understand how it is! :grin-squint

FRN is an injection molded plastic that uses “pre-colored” pellets that get melted down before injecting. It’s difficult to source exact colors of the pellet needed to produce certain scale colors. It may or may not be more difficult than mixing paint but it’s definitely a much different process.

This is why the SPY27 Native 5 LW and Manix LW don’t match exactly in color. They couldn’t source the exact shade of blue pellet in FRCP that they could in FRN. They had to work with what they could get and match it as close as possible.

I think their “Ivory FRN” is an acceptable shade of ivory. It’s a very close match to the Ivory G-10 used on the Lil Nilakka. I generally think of coyote tan as a little darker than this but I’m not any sort of definite source.

Figured I might as well share this shot as a comparison too. Lighting isn’t ideal in either photo but they’re all in the same light conditions.

:bug-white :respect
-Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Remember, natural ivory varies in color from near white to an orange-brown depending on age and possibly by species. I think Spyderco's choice of Ivory color is acceptable.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

In my pocket today, here’s the direct Florida sun showing a pretty accurate rendition of it’s color. I’ve always thought “ivory” was an excellent description.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's definitely a lighting thing, those look more like the ivory I have in my head.

And I really really wish they had done a full size Nilakka in those ivory scales to match the Lil Nilakka.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David