ivory FRN would be fun

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

ivory FRN would be fun

Post by sethwm »

I’d love to be able to buy replacement scales for my FRN knives: dfly, delica, endela, etc.

If spyderco sold _only_ ivory (or bright white) scales, we could rit dye them any color we wanted. Would open up a whole new part to the hobby: changing the color on our knives.

Is this possible?
Last edited by sethwm on Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danke

Re: ivory FRN would be fun

Post by Danke »

Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Spyderco has done a great ivory FRN on the straight spine Stretch 2. I loved the color, but others weren't so thrilled I think. It was quickly replaced with other colors. GPKnives did a run of Native 5 lightweights in white last year (in Rex45, great steel) that seemed to take a while to sell (took RIT dye soooo well though). I like the idea of selling just a set of white FRN for the Seki line so we can dye to our liking, but I really don't see Spyderco ever doing that.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

This has come up before, both white-handled knives and white replacement scales. Sal was part of the conversation. Seems like Spyderco would be more open to selling white-handled knives than to selling replacement scales.

I get the impression that a number of forumites are reluctant to try RIT dying because they think it's difficult. I bet most Spyderco customers don't do it because they either like the available colors or aren't even aware it's possible. I wouldn't know about it if not for this forum.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Isn’t the high performance Delica wearing white scales?
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:51 am
This has come up before, both white-handled knives and white replacement scales. Sal was part of the conversation. Seems like Spyderco would be more open to selling white-handled knives than to selling replacement scales.

I get the impression that a number of forumites are reluctant to try RIT dying because they think it's difficult. I bet most Spyderco customers don't do it because they either like the available colors or aren't even aware it's possible. I wouldn't know about it if not for this forum.
Rit dying is super easy and with a stainless knife you don’t even have to disassemble in my experience
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

sethwm wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:29 pm
Coastal wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:51 am

Rit dying is super easy and with a stainless knife you don’t even have to disassemble in my experience
Absolutely. I've done several with nice results. That's why I like the idea of white scales and don't understand the reluctance to try it.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

This would be so great! I think even a limited run would sell fast especially to forumites. So many users like to customize their lightweight models- this would allow Spyderco to sell into this market. Seki FRN outperforms most everything else anyways. I imagine it would also generate some renewed interest in Delicas, Endelas etc. and so separately more knives would be sold to people who have a customization idea in mind. I'm just wondering if this generates enough profit to justify manufacturing scales separately which could divert from just making more knives. Maybe they could be sold as multi packs to compensate.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Bemo wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:54 am
Spyderco has done a great ivory FRN on the straight spine Stretch 2. I loved the color, but others weren't so thrilled I think. It was quickly replaced with other colors. GPKnives did a run of Native 5 lightweights in white last year (in Rex45, great steel) that seemed to take a while to sell (took RIT dye soooo well though). I like the idea of selling just a set of white FRN for the Seki line so we can dye to our liking, but I really don't see Spyderco ever doing that.
So, I got three of those GPKnives N5's. I got the last on Friday and picked up some Rit dye. I've read the instructions and just wonder, they say to heat the water to 200 degrees. Does this pose any threat to the FRN? Hoping to dye this one tonight and any tips would be appreciated.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

z1r wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:21 am
So, I got three of those GPKnives N5's. I got the last on Friday and picked up some Rit dye. I've read the instructions and just wonder, they say to heat the water to 200 degrees. Does this pose any threat to the FRN? Hoping to dye this one tonight and any tips would be appreciated.
No threat at all. I just heat to boiling and then turn the heat down to simmer. I like it to be either barely bubbling, or barely not bubbling, if that makes sense.

Pro tip: FRN can go from un-dyed to dyed darker than you want, really fast! Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I pull the knife out pretty often and rinse it to check progress.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I used heated water from my goose neck kettle set at 205 degrees (it's my coffee brewing temp), no problem whats so ever. I also didn't bother taking it apart. That white dyes so fast, and a quick rinse under cold water with a blast of WD40 in the pivot area and I'll bet the whole thing didn't take 15 minutes. In fact the prep took longer. I really need to find the links on posting pictures again, mine came out a nice burgandy/maroon color. Used the Racing Red with some Graphite dye.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Relevant thread: viewtopic.php?t=92178

I’m quite interested in being able to buy the FRN parts for Seki knives in white separately as well.
I think it would be fun.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Coastal wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:41 am
z1r wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:21 am
No threat at all. I just heat to boiling and then turn the heat down to simmer. I like it to be either barely bubbling, or barely not bubbling, if that makes sense.

Pro tip: FRN can go from un-dyed to dyed darker than you want, really fast! Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I pull the knife out pretty often and rinse it to check progress.
I don’t think I’ve ever needed more than 30 seconds in the dye. I’d probably check every 5-10 seconds.

I follow the bottle instructions for clothe and add a little soap to the mix too. No idea if it helps.

Tips:

* Thread some floss through a screw hole to make it easy to raise/lower the scale in the dye, like a teabag.
* clean your scales first. I use soap an water and possibly rub down with rubbing alcohol if they’re dirty
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm a bit surprised that some enterprising company hasn't taken this on. However, I guess the cost of the moulds would be prohibitive.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I really enjoyed RIT dying my ivory FRN stretch. It was an incredibly simple process.

It would be cool if there was perhaps a regular ivory or white FRN Delica and Native available.

G-10 is a lot harder to dye. Well, harder enough that I haven’t succeeded yet, lol.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:46 pm
I really enjoyed RIT dying my ivory FRN stretch. It was an incredibly simple process.

Right? White would be a welcome color. Dyeing is easy, and the customer gets exactly the color she wants. I've had equally good results with both FRN, FRCP, and G10.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:46 pm

It would be cool if there was perhaps a regular ivory or white FRN Delica and Native available.

G-10 is a lot harder to dye. Well, harder enough that I haven’t succeeded yet, lol.
G10 is quite easy.

Get Rid-Dyemore,
1 part dye
1 part vinegar
3 parts water

Lots of recipes/variations online. Heat to boiling and let it stop bubbling. Dip in the scales and watch the magic happen. Check often to make sure you don't pass the colour you want.

Cheers
z1r

Post by z1r »

Ok, first ever attempt at dying. Rather pleased with the results.

Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like the Ivory FRN as well.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That looks great!