In Which I Rescue my Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Road Tripper

In Which I Rescue my Knife

Post by Road Tripper »

I had a shaving cream bottle with that last bit at the bottom that just won't come out. Confidently, I thought that my Delica wharncliffe would make short work of this hard-plastic bottle.

I positioned everything carefully, and got to work. I got a piercing cut in and started to slice around the bottle. It took a fair bit of pressure, and when I came around the side of the bottle, the spyder-hole got trapped between two corners of plastic. Try as I might, I couldn't budge it. What to do?

Fortunately, I was able to use the trusty Watu for a relief cut and the Delica was free!

After that experience, I wasn't to be deterred, and finished the cut around the bottle with renewed determination, and without incident.

I'm happy to say that the Delica recovered nicely with only a couple of small rolls of the edge, fixed on a ceramic. It was surprisingly challenging to get the shave cream off the blade, though!

Anyone else have stories of rescuing a knife with a knife?
prndltech

Re: In Which I Rescue my Knife

Post by prndltech »

I’ve rescued lots of new knives from being trapped in their packaging. I usually cut them free with the last new knife I bought.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:10 am
I’ve rescued lots of new knives from being trapped in their packaging. I usually cut them free with the last new knife I bought.
That is always the most rewarding kind of a rescue.... :winking-tongue
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I got my Silky machete stuck in to a root ball recently and had to carve it out with my trusty Magnacut mule, but it was fairly uneventful. If this was a thread about stuck chainsaws I’d be here all day 😬
Last edited by JoviAl on Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:14 pm
If this was a thread about stuck chainsaws I’d be here all day 😬
I'm with you on that! :grin-sweat
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:33 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Funny story - when I went to get my first Commercial Chainsaw Operator’s License here a number of years ago (you have to renew it every two years) one of the trainees asked where he should go to buy his first chainsaw. The trainer looked at him funny and said “you mean your first three chainsaws? One to get stuck, one to get the first saw unstuck, and a third to unstick the first two. Then you’re gonna need an axe.”
- Al

Dream knives -
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:56 am
Doc Dan wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Funny story - when I went to get my first Commercial Chainsaw Operator’s License here a number of years ago (you have to renew it every two years) one of the trainees asked where he should go to buy his first chainsaw. The trainer looked at him funny and said “you mean your first three chainsaws? One to get stuck, one to get the first saw unstuck, and a third to unstick the first two. Then you’re gonna need an axe.”
Hahahaha! Well, I can relate to the axe, anyway. I was cutting some old growth kudzu...man, that stuff is evil...and got the chainsaw stuck in one of the big vines and had to cut it out with an axe and a large machete made from an old saw blade. I mean, you'd think a chainsaw would make short work of a 4 to 6 inch thick vine, but they are so densely packed it can be bad.

The bad think about kudzu is that you can get rid of it, poison it, clear it all out and a piece will be hiding 30 feet underground and suddenly the area is covered in kudzu, again. Fire won't kill it. Cutting it won't kill it. Cows love to eat it, though, and goats, too.

Anyway, it is a pain to get the chain of a chainsaw stuck and getting it out is sometimes a lot of work.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:33 am
JoviAl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Hahahaha! Well, I can relate to the axe, anyway. I was cutting some old growth kudzu...man, that stuff is evil...and got the chainsaw stuck in one of the big vines and had to cut it out with an axe and a large machete made from an old saw blade. I mean, you'd think a chainsaw would make short work of a 4 to 6 inch thick vine, but they are so densely packed it can be bad.

The bad think about kudzu is that you can get rid of it, poison it, clear it all out and a piece will be hiding 30 feet underground and suddenly the area is covered in kudzu, again. Fire won't kill it. Cutting it won't kill it. Cows love to eat it, though, and goats, too.

Anyway, it is a pain to get the chain of a chainsaw stuck and getting it out is sometimes a lot of work.
That Kudzu sounds like tenacious stuff!
- Al

Dream knives -
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Not really a rescue, but the old, well used knife gets used for the trashy/sketchy tasks so the sharp, newer knife rides along for the emergency self defense needs, and such.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:57 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:33 am
JoviAl wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

That Kudzu sounds like tenacious stuff!
Oh yeah, it is the scourge of the south.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.