Why is the PM2 more popular when the Manix 2 is objectively better?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
horzuff

Re: Why is the PM2 more popular when the Manix 2 is objectively better?

Post by horzuff »

mongo1958 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:56 am
horzuff wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:51 am
Those are different enough models that I think it's impossible to state one is better/worse than the other.

However I would be very much interested in a hybrid (Para Milix? Para Manixtary? Not there yet maybe... :D). A Para 2 with an almost Manix blade just slightly narrower, but keep the leaf shape and 3mm spine. Keep the Para lock and handle as the Manix's handle is a bit too wide for me (due to the lock) and maybe squeeze a tiny bit more blade into the handles and I'm 100% sold.

So basically a para 2 with leaf blade and couple more mm edge length and less spine thickness

Edit: I guess I just want a compression lock Caly 3,5 / Calypso with a slightly beefed up handle...
Wouldn't the Native Chief fill that niche?
Oh, I'm definitely eyeing up the chief, just waiting for the correct version to be available ^^. However the Chief is a backlock and I prefer locks with smoother action :) a comp lock would be sweet especially for the flickability ^^
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear w1thy39:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Back Lock Manix 2 is better than anything, but the Manix 2 Light Weight is pretty close. The PM2 is far from being my favorite knife, along with anything that says Native. They just don't fit my hand. Also, I am not as big of a fan of the compression lock as I am of back locks and the CBBL. I do like the CL far, far better than any liner lock or frame lock, however. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that with my two Manix loves.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Endela > Manix > PM2
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

For a tough harder use capable folder I’d rather have the lil temperance, shaman, or ss stretch2
:bug-red-white
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:53 pm
Manix xl beats them both imo
For us big hand people for sure
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:39 am
Endela > Manix > PM2
Backlock>cbbl>compression lock.

Maybe

All three of those knives are great. I rotate between the three quite often. Today it’s the Endela.
I am not even sure I would rate one above the other but I’ll take the pm2 bait-

Manix and Endela slice better than the pm2 but the pm2 handle shape is better for my hand than the Manix or Endela . I think I have said this before but the pm2 is one of those jack of all trades master of none knives that is not the best in every category but wins on overall average score . It’s just good and practical.
The pm2 :
Not too big or small
Generous choil
Good edge length
Easy in pocket
Easy to maintain
Great grip without any Mad Max road warrior Level jimping
Very light for its size and material (g10 with liners)
Available in a variety of steels
Cool collaboration design
Fast and snappy lock

The manix 2 is like a truck, tough as nails and drives forever. Bad weather? Rough terrain? It has you covered .
The pm2 is like a sports car, sleek and fast. Fun to take for joy rides, also makes for a nice commuter ride.
Then you get an Endela and realize it is the crossover that covers all of your needs . (Endura for you XL glove sized folks) 😂
Just one more knife...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Netherend wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:54 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Backlock>cbbl>compression lock.

Maybe

All three of those knives are great. I rotate between the three quite often. Today it’s the Endela.
I am not even sure I would rate one above the other but I’ll take the pm2 bait-

Manix and Endela slice better than the pm2 but the pm2 handle shape is better for my hand than the Manix or Endela . I think I have said this before but the pm2 is one of those jack of all trades master of none knives that is not the best in every category but wins on overall average score . It’s just good and practical.
The pm2 :
Not too big or small
Generous choil
Good edge length
Easy in pocket
Easy to maintain
Great grip without any Mad Max road warrior Level jimping
Very light for its size and material (g10 with liners)
Available in a variety of steels
Cool collaboration design
Fast and snappy lock

The manix 2 is like a truck, tough as nails and drives forever. Bad weather? Rough terrain? It has you covered .
The pm2 is like a sports car, sleek and fast. Fun to take for joy rides, also makes for a nice commuter ride.
Then you get an Endela and realize it is the crossover that covers all of your needs . (Endura for you XL glove sized folks) 😂

Good points.

Agree on the "lock ranking"

And you make me want my PM2 back (lend to a friend who lives quite far away) - it actually IS a great knife, and I second most of yours thoughts on it (that I´d much prefer if it had a linerlock instead of a comp.lock might not be a surprise anymore... ;) )

My main nitpick with the Endela :The slightly shorter edge than on the PM2 (though still a tad more than on the Manix), despite there would be quite some space left in the handle for more (blade and edge). A fully handle filling bladed Endela (SE) could even become my most favorite Spyderco (but would then exceed the 3.5" legal limit some places have)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I have been carrying my pm2 Maxamet blade switch to the red aluminum scales. I carry mor than just a knife in my pocket and it is important to be able to slide my hand in. The aluminum handles are perfect. The xl I think just takes up too much pocket space.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
benben

Post by benben »

steelcity16 wrote:
Endela > Manix > PM2
Definitely lots of times I agree with this!
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:57 am
As others have said: If we throw the amazing Manix 2 LIGHTWEIGHT in the mix, for me personally without any question that one "wins" over the PM2. Completely SUBjective of course, just cause the LW ticks a lot of boxes on my personal preferences list.
As you know, I have a M2LW. The only thing that I would like for it to have is some texture on the back of the handle near the lanyard hole. This would prevent the handle from slipping out of my hand while unlocking the blade single handedly.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:12 am
The Back Lock Manix 2 is better than anything, but the Manix 2 Light Weight is pretty close. The PM2 is far from being my favorite knife, along with anything that says Native. They just don't fit my hand. Also, I am not as big of a fan of the compression lock as I am of back locks and the CBBL. I do like the CL far, far better than any liner lock or frame lock, however. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that with my two Manix loves.
I agree with everything you’ve said except I like the Millie and Tenacious liner lock better than a compression lock. I don’t need free falling blades or even slick flickers. Just strong closing preference and detent
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

The little spring in the Manix lock always gives me pause.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I actually like the Manix 2's coil spring. It's very strong. I like the coil spring much more than the omega springs in axis locks, which seem far less durable than the coil spring.

Jim
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

James Y wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:58 pm
I actually like the Manix 2's coil spring. It's very strong. I like the coil spring much more than the omega springs in axis locks, which seem far less durable than the coil spring.

Jim
AGREE 100%
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

CBBL is a fantastic design, the plastic interface and large pocket presence are much more objectionable in my opinion...

I've owned 3 Manices, but have zero in the collection at present.
So it goes.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:22 am
CBBL is a fantastic design, the plastic interface and large pocket presence are much more objectionable in my opinion...

They are pocket hogs, undeniably
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:14 am
Airlsee wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:22 am

They are pocket hogs, undeniably
i really don't get this argument. sure, my ikuchi is slim and barely noticeable in pocket and has more cutting edge, but the manix isn't uncomfortable for me and it's not in my way, even though i carry my phone in the same pocket. i'd much rather carry a hand-filling knife than a dainty one, although they definitely have their place too. i've just never felt like the manix was too big.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

My pants must have bigger pockets. I'm known to carry in the right hip pocket, if necessary. There's nearly always a way... :cheap-sunglasses

snark, snark...
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The Ikuchi is an example of design perfection that the market was/is not ready for...but that's apples to oranges.

If the Manix doesn't hog your pocket, you simply have more compassionate pockets than I.

Native Chief gets it right. If I didn't have a Mantra, PM2 or Chief, I may consider an alternative...
So it goes.