Making the Compression Lock even BETTER.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RustyIron

Making the Compression Lock even BETTER.

Post by RustyIron »

The Compression Lock is cool, that's for sure. But is it perfect? Is anything perfect? One only need to look at almost any thread on Spyderco Forum to find people who have ideas on how to improve an already great product. My problem with the Compression Lock is that it's best for right handed people. I can run the knife in my left hand, but it's sub-optimum.

There's a clever guy named Justin who makes a little gizmo called "Compression Made Easy." His product improves the all-around functionality of the Compression Lock and makes it GREAT for left handed people. You can google your way on over to his website if you want to buy one. I was curious about Justin's product, but I saw things that I would do differently. So I did.

I wanted my gizmo to fill up more of the cutout, I wanted it to sit below the surface, and I wanted more area contacting the compression lock. I found a chunk of aluminum in the garage that was about the right thickness, so that's what I used. It didn't take long to carve out the gizmo and install it. It looked great. I hated it. Making the "button surface" sit below the existing scale didn't improve the ergonomic functionality of the knife. It might actually have been worse. I removed the gizmo and went on to other projects.

My failure gnawed at me. I didn't really want to do it all over again, but I couldn't be happy until I at least tried. I was no longer enthused about working with aluminum, so I found a chunk of prehistoric micarta-like material in one of my cabinets. I roughed it out with a bench grinder, Dremel, and disc sander. Finish work was with files and sandpaper. The second one came out ok.

Verson 2.0 sits flush with the scale when the blade is in the closed position. It sits high when the blade is open. This is MUCH better. Whether the knife is in my left hand or right, operation is much improved. Now I actually LIKE the Compression Lock, and I'll surely be carrying this knife more frequently. The only remaining question is whether the cyanoacrylate adhesive will hold up. Justin markets his CME with superglue, so I have to assume that it will hold up reasonably well. If not, I have a Plan B and Plan C ready to go. I tried applying some dye to the micarta, and that stuff will NOT take any color. I ended up coloring it with a Sharpie, but I'm not too concerned about this.

This addition really opens the doors to a lot of Spyderco knives for me. If there are other left handers who have been put off by the Compression Lock, you might want to get out your hacksaw and file... or just buy it straight from Justin.

Version 1, before gluing into place.
IMG_0300.jpeg

V1 sideview
IMG_0301.jpeg

V1 topview
IMG_0302.jpeg

Both gizmos on the bench
IMG_0303.jpeg

Version 2, installed, before coloring
IMG_0308.jpeg
Mushroom

Re: Making the Compression Lock even BETTER.

Post by Mushroom »

You might find the PM2 Ultra of interest. It uses a left handed PM2 to begin with and turns it into a “button compression lock.” Some might consider it an improved version of the compression lock or some might just say it’s a modified version of it. Find it here - https://bladeswelove.com/

I’ve seen the CME parts mentioned here on the forum before but still I’m not entirely sold by it. I can’t help but wonder if it would increase the chances of accidentally unlocking the blade during use. Also the semi permanent installation is a hard sell for me. None the less, nice work on your version, it came out looking good. If it works to your liking that’s even better.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would surely squeeze this enough during use to disengage the lock. I would much rather see the button version because standard. That design also gets rid of my biggest gripe with this lock which is the open cutout in the spine that creates hot spots during extended hard use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:10 am
You might find the PM2 Ultra of interest. It uses a left handed PM2 to begin with and turns it into a “button compression lock.” Some might consider it an improved version of the compression lock or some might just say it’s a modified version of it. Find it here - https://bladeswelove.com/

I’ve seen the CME parts mentioned here on the forum before but still I’m not entirely sold by it. I can’t help but wonder if it would increase the chances of accidentally unlocking the blade during use. Also the semi permanent installation is a hard sell for me. None the less, nice work on your version, it came out looking good. If it works to your liking that’s even better.
I find it disappointing that we have to resort to a third party for this. It's almost as if Spyderco stopped at "good enough".
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have zero issues closing the compression lock with my left hand. It is easy. However, the way the cut out is creates a hotspot. Something does need to be done about that.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

This question isn’t only for Doc Dan but I see the claim that the cutout for access to the compression lock causes a hotspot, but I have a difficult time understanding how. Could anyone who experiences that expand upon it a little bit for an idiot such as myself?
cjk

Post by cjk »

IMHO, what would make the compression lock better is some sort of close bias.

I have no issue operating a compression lock left handed.

I do find the aftermarket button lock PM2s to be cool. Unless I'm missing something (likely), the button seems that it would be as accidentally activate-able as the compression made easy device.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:47 am
This question isn’t only for Doc Dan but I see the claim that the cutout for access to the compression lock causes a hotspot, but I have a difficult time understanding how. Could anyone who experiences that expand upon it a little bit for an idiot such as myself?

For me if I'm doing hard cuts, I'm using a hammer fist grip and I'm probably choked up on the handle as far as I can to get as much leverage as I can into the cut, and that puts my palm right over the lock cutout. Taking away half the liner/scale in that spot makes half as much surface area to distribute that force along, and after a while I've got an impression of the lock in my hand.

I've experienced that with every compression lock knife I've used. It could be argued that I should wear gloves or maybe even use a fixed blade or just stop being a tender palmed sissy but the bottom line is I don't have this problem with other locks and particularly knives that aren't open back construction. It's probably not an issue for most people because they may not be using their knife as long or hard as I have, but I like to be able to do that if the need arises. It doesn't stop me from buying knives with this lock but if they made the change to a button operated compression lock I'd be much happier with it and it would even become a selling point for me personally.
Last edited by Evil D on Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

^ What David said.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:03 am
Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:47 am

For me if I'm doing hard cuts, I'm using a hammer fist grip and I'm probably choked up on the handle as far as I can to get as much leverage as I can into the cut, and that puts my palm right over the lock cutout. Taking away half the liner/scale in that spot makes half as much surface area to distribute that force along, and after a while I've got an impression of the lock in my hand.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/527 ... fae_4k.jpg

I've experienced that with every compression lock knife I've used. It could be argued that I should wear gloves or maybe even use a fixed blade or just stop being a tender palmed sissy but the bottom line is I don't have this problem with other locks and particularly knives that aren't open back construction. It's probably not an issue for most people because they may not be using their knife as long or hard as I have, but I like to be able to do that if the need arises. It doesn't stop me from buying knives with this lock but if they made the change to a button operated compression lock I'd just much happier with it and it would even become a selling point for me personally.
Thanks for the detailed explanation! I wasn’t considering a hot spot in that part of the hand but it makes perfect sense.

I guess I just don’t need to use that grip often. Even when I worked in a warehouse I didn’t need to use that grip too frequently but on the occasion that I did it wasn’t for such extended periods of time. None the less, it’s a logical reason for a hotspot, or at least the potential for one.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:49 am

...I tried applying some dye to the micarta, and that stuff will NOT take any color. I ended up coloring it with a Sharpie, but I'm not too concerned about this. ...

Very nice mod! I like that it not only achieves the function you wanted but it also looks clean and appears to be more comfortable now as well. If you want any other micarta colors with which to make another one I have scraps of micarta in at least 20 different colors and patterns that I would be glad to send you.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

There might be some better options, but I can honestly say I'm not sure:

J B Weld? Liquid Steel?
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Xplorer wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:50 am
If you want any other micarta colors with which to make another one I have scraps of micarta in at least 20 different colors and patterns that I would be glad to send you.

Thanks! I'll keep you in mind. Generally, when I'm just goofing around with a project, the first step is seeing what I have to work with. I like when a project costs me nothing, and I also like it if I don't have to drive to the steel store.

Naperville wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:00 pm
There might be some better options, but I can honestly say I'm not sure:

J B Weld? Liquid Steel?

Maybe... And if none of the adhesives work, I can make a gizmo out of stainless and then silver solder it in place. But that's way down at Plan D or E.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’ve designed few variations of the lock that deal with a lot of the points brought up here in different ways.
Although, I think it’s probable that Sal or Eric have similar ideas already anyway. It likely takes a lot more time to materialize these things than we appreciate.

There’s definitely a lot that can be done with the mechanism without even getting into a closing bias.

I will say that teaching myself how to draw and design locking mechanisms on paper has been a bit if a challenge and learning curve, but I’ve gotten a lot better at it recently. A little more confident, at least.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Matus

Post by Matus »

... liner lock is better than a compression lock ...

... change my mind :squinting-tongue
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Does the mod make it easier to release the blade accidentally? I was thinking of trying one of these, but these look a bit tall and I'm worried it'll end up releasing the knife in my pocket.
Matus wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:07 pm
... liner lock is better than a compression lock ...

... change my mind :squinting-tongue
Friction folders are superior
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

vandelay wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:00 pm
Does the mod make it easier to release the blade accidentally? I was thinking of trying one of these, but these look a bit tall and I'm worried it'll end up releasing the knife in my pocket.

I don't think that inadvertent actuation will be a problem. I've gripped the knife every way imaginable in both hands, and I can't push the button even when trying. The only way I can do it is by putting my thumb or finger directly on top of the button and pressing hard. Even in my pocket, I don't think the knife could accidentally open. For the sort of folks who carry nuts and bolts and pebbles and frogs in their pockets, the chance of snagging the hole far exceed the chances of pushing the button far enough to release the blade.