Biggest gap in the Spyderco lineup?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: Biggest gap in the Spyderco lineup?

Post by Cl1ff »

Recurves.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I’d love to see a titanium folder with stainless steel and a more “regular” blade shape that isn’t crazy expensive. They have the swayback and spydiechef that have unique blade shapes. And there are the Nirvana and Drunken that are two of the more expensive knives Spyderco makes.

And listing all these I realize Spyderco makes a decent amount of titanium knives. I’d just love to see something like the original mantra 1 without a flipper tab and in a stainless steel. A Delica-sized titanium frame lock knife would be great and I think very popular.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:05 pm
- Chaparral XL or new model with its thin (2mm) ffg blade, its also thin handle and its great backlock in about Endela size

- "Endela Salt"

- Midsized Native: So a "true" Native (backlock, thinner blade, slim handle
and by that NOT the Shaman) in the popular size between Native 5 and Chief

- Manix 2 in full SE
Definitely agree on the Chap XL and Native plus!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

twinboysdad wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:43 pm
We need way more knives like the Pingo, Lava, Techno, and hopeful Microjimbo. Small yet absurdly capable. That is Lil Big Knife City. Can go clipless in pocket but definitely not a full size knife. I really like having the option of in the pocket carry. Basically the J Frame revolver of folders
I’ve been carrying my k390 Pingo recently and think the Pingo would be stellar with a proper spydie-hole.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:53 pm
Bdubs808 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:27 pm
There are no Spyderco swords. How about a 30 inch long blade with the Military blade shape? 15v or magnacut should be fine.
I'd never use a 30 inch blade, but an 18 inch Magnacut blade would be cool. I've been looking at blades on TFW(Traditional Filipino Weapons) and a few other sites for Roman short swords. My training would be a benefit for blades up to 20 inches in length.
Very cool that you are into TFW, I'm half Filipino and I briefly got to train FMA under Burton Richardson in Hawaii. Burton got his JKD skills from Dan Inosanto, a real legend and master. I used to own a Cold Steel Moro Barong and showed it off to Burton once, he definitely approved.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

dsm wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:49 pm
8< -----
To get us started, I would love to see three new things:
A larger (3") version of the Dragonfly with a high edge hardness/retention tool steel. Preferably still as thin as possible. I know the Caly Jr. is a past favorite, but unfortunately they are no longer in production.
Like others have mentioned, I'm not sure the DF handle shape scales up well. I don't remember which thread exactly (Wartstein could probably pull that up), but it seems there is a Caly-ish knife brewing in Sal's (at this point quite long) pipeline. Then there's always the Chaparral, which fit your criteria almost perfectly as it is.
dsm wrote:
A thin, light, low-height EDC blade. Something in the 2.5"-3.5" blade length range would make sense. I love the Delica and enjoy my Para3 LW as well, but I think the Spydie-hole in both of these causes the knife to jut into the pocket too much in certain situations. I'm thinking of something like a thiner Smock with less choil and recessed liners.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... N-Black/24
dsm wrote:
A smaller knife with the BBL, like a mini-Manix 2 or Manix 2 LW. The Manix is a bit large for my use, but would still like to carry a BBL more frequently.
Unless we get another run of the D'allara, I'm only interested in CBBLs, and while I'm totally with you in wanting a mini Manix (which some will argue is technically a mini-mini-manix), I'm not sure it's a lock suited for- or easily integrated in smaller knife designs.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

A compression lock knife with a 4" GB2 blade.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

A 5-6inch fixed blade utility knife with a hollow grind would be delightful. I’ve already had my say with the Mule/cookie cutter XL thread, but I really would get a disturbing amount of use out of a big Spyderco bruiser of a knife.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Gap?

I don't know if that's adressing a "gap", but I'd love to see some Spyderco folders with REALLY thin blade stock... pocket paring knives, basically.
notorious fidgeteer
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:21 pm
A related gap is the high-end Salt. There is no Ti-MagnaCut Military with LC200N liners, for instance. No Chaparral Salt.
I agree with this 100 percent! We do have the Spydiechef, but that is more of a specialty blade shape, while I love the more leaf shaped blades. More often than not, it is the ti chap in my pocket, A salt version in ti would be superb. While I'd love to buy the magnacut manix, I will likely get the PM2 version instead, the whole reason will be the option of g10 over the manix being a lightweight version. (This is in spite of my preference for the manix over the PM2.) Then I might have to get aftermarket titanium scales for the PM2 as well. I would much rather Spyderco manufacture the knife I want to carry rather than owning and having to build a custom one with spare parts left in the cupboard.

I'm an older person, I make knife purchases less frequently, but I don't mind spending money for higher end materials. Give me a titanium magnacut Salt model before I succumb and buy another Chris Reeve....PLEASE! Nothing against Chris Reeve, but when I got a sage 2, I sold my Chris Reeve knives.

Grizz
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Love the idea of a Sage2 Salt in MC! What a perfect EDC for many.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wright.88 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:01 pm
I’d love to see a titanium folder with stainless steel and a more “regular” blade shape that isn’t crazy expensive. They have the swayback and spydiechef that have unique blade shapes. And there are the Nirvana and Drunken that are two of the more expensive knives Spyderco makes.

And listing all these I realize Spyderco makes a decent amount of titanium knives. I’d just love to see something like the original mantra 1 without a flipper tab and in a stainless steel. A Delica-sized titanium frame lock knife would be great and I think very popular.
Agree strongly with this.

I’d also really like to see a PM2 Lightweight.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cjk

Post by cjk »

dsm wrote:
I've been getting acquainted with the forum, and was inspired by Jazz's thread which led to the Delica wharnie (here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70607). In the spirit of that thread, what is an area of the current Spyderco lineup (i.e. not including retired models) that you think leaves something to be desired?

• A larger (3") version of the Dragonfly with a high edge hardness/retention tool steel. Preferably still as thin as possible. I know the Caly Jr. is a past favorite, but unfortunately they are no longer in production.
  • A thin, light, low-height EDC blade. Something in the 2.5"-3.5" blade length range would make sense. I love the Delica and enjoy my Para3 LW as well, but I think the Spydie-hole in both of these causes the knife to jut into the pocket too much in certain situations. I'm thinking of something like a thiner Smock with less choil and recessed liners.
  • A smaller knife with the BBL, like a mini-Manix 2 or Manix 2 LW. The Manix is a bit large for my use, but would still like to carry a BBL more frequently.
What do you think?
The Ikuchi is a thin, low height EDC blade. So was the fairly recently discontinued Brouwer. Both are quite narrow in the pocket, particularly the Ikuchi. The Ikuchi is narrow in the pocket compared to most pocketknives, regardless of maker. It's not just narrow for a Spyderco. The Swayback is also quite narrow in the pocket. The Native 5 is actually more narrow in the pocket than a Delica.

The Spyderco Brouwer will be a classic and surely show up in future JD Spydo threads. :green-heart ;)

I am interested in a smaller knife with the CBBL. That could something like a re-imagined Q-ball (with a ball cage, not a visible ball) or a more everyday use oriented knife based on the P'kal. Kinda like if a P'kal and and an Emerson A-100 had a baby.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I also want to point out and acknowledge that Spyderco already spoils us with the number of choices. I am very thankful for that.

It's pretty impressive to see the Spyderco display cabinets at shows which contain all or most of the whole catalog. They make a whole lot of stuff. I'm certain that when they decide to make a new thing, they also have to decide what other thing not to make.

The lil' native is also very narrow in the pocket.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Pacific Salt Wharncliffe
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:34 am
Naperville wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:53 pm
Bdubs808 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:27 pm
There are no Spyderco swords. How about a 30 inch long blade with the Military blade shape? 15v or magnacut should be fine.
I'd never use a 30 inch blade, but an 18 inch Magnacut blade would be cool. I've been looking at blades on TFW(Traditional Filipino Weapons) and a few other sites for Roman short swords. My training would be a benefit for blades up to 20 inches in length.
Very cool that you are into TFW, I'm half Filipino and I briefly got to train FMA under Burton Richardson in Hawaii. Burton got his JKD skills from Dan Inosanto, a real legend and master. I used to own a Cold Steel Moro Barong and showed it off to Burton once, he definitely approved.
Congrats on being Filipino! The origination of the best knife fighting arts in the world.

I was lucky enough to dabble in several Filipino arts: Inayan, BahaLa Na, Mata Sa Bagyo, Defensor Method, Headhunters, and online I've studied Pekiti Tersia and currently Kali Center with Paul Ingram. Dan Inosanto was graduate #1 of BahaLa Na and even stopped by to give a seminar wherein I got to meet him.

I must have 50+ DVDs on kali, escrima and arnis, and I have some of Burton Richardson's Battlefield Kali DVDs. I also have several hundred other videos on the Filipino Arts from around the Internet.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I think the biggest gap is: thin in the pocket slicey folders with a good blade to weight ratio.(skinny knives with a minimal pocket footprint).

Some sprints and colabs are, but in terms of regular production spyderco knives there isn’t much there to compete with the likes of a benchmade bugout or 940 osborne in terms of pocket footprint.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:25 am
The Spyderco Brouwer will be a classic and surely show up in future JD Spydo threads. :green-heart ;)
i wanted a brouwer. i kept waiting for the disco discount, but most places sold out at the regular price and i missed it. my collection is fine without one, but especially as i head into a new office with more strict blade length rules, i'm kicking myself for not snagging one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
dsm

Post by dsm »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:18 am
dsm wrote:
8< -----
A larger (3") version of the Dragonfly with a high edge hardness/retention tool steel. Preferably still as thin as possible. I know the Caly Jr. is a past favorite, but unfortunately they are no longer in production.
Like others have mentioned, I'm not sure the DF handle shape scales up well. I don't remember which thread exactly (Wartstein could probably pull that up), but it seems there is a Caly-ish knife brewing in Sal's (at this point quite long) pipeline. Then there's always the Chaparral, which fit your criteria almost perfectly as it is.
dsm wrote:
A thin, light, low-height EDC blade. Something in the 2.5"-3.5" blade length range would make sense. I love the Delica and enjoy my Para3 LW as well, but I think the Spydie-hole in both of these causes the knife to jut into the pocket too much in certain situations. I'm thinking of something like a thiner Smock with less choil and recessed liners.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... N-Black/24
dsm wrote:
A smaller knife with the BBL, like a mini-Manix 2 or Manix 2 LW. The Manix is a bit large for my use, but would still like to carry a BBL more frequently.
Unless we get another run of the D'allara, I'm only interested in CBBLs, and while I'm totally with you in wanting a mini Manix (which some will argue is technically a mini-mini-manix), I'm not sure it's a lock suited for- or easily integrated in smaller knife designs.
I've not looked much into the Centofante, thanks for the tip!
dsm

Post by dsm »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:35 am
I also want to point out and acknowledge that Spyderco already spoils us with the number of choices. I am very thankful for that.

It's pretty impressive to see the Spyderco display cabinets at shows which contain all or most of the whole catalog. They make a whole lot of stuff. I'm certain that when they decide to make a new thing, they also have to decide what other thing not to make.

The lil' native is also very narrow in the pocket.
Yes, absolutely! Some would (and have) argued it may even be too big a catalog. Not at all upset with the amount of choice, just wanted to see others' thoughts.