Biggest gap in the Spyderco lineup?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: Biggest gap in the Spyderco lineup?

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

No worries…you’ve got a great combo for kayak fishing…I don’t have my Siren anymore(long story-don’t ask),but it’ll be replaced soon enough…was not afraid to carry it when I had it cause I tethered it to the boat…however I get what you’re saying about the Siren and Waterway cause I dropped my Spydiechef once in a trout stream and thankfully water was low and clear…now I carry a Pac salt lc pe/a Salt 2 wharnie lc se/and the Neko…good luck 🎣👊
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

I'd love to see the Dyad come back, in gray G10.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I'd like a smaller sheepsfoot knife. The Atlantic Salt is enormous and I find the blade style useful.

A small and thin knife from Golden would also be nice. Lil' Native LW might fit this, but I haven't seen the specs for that yet.
dsm wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:49 pm
  • A larger (3") version of the Dragonfly with a high edge hardness/retention tool steel. Preferably still as thin as possible. I know the Caly Jr. is a past favorite, but unfortunately they are no longer in production.
I'd like a bigger K390 (or similar) wharncliffe and there aren't any with a choil or minimal ricasso. A big dragonfly or a rockjumper K390 (which is thinner behind the edge) would be nice.
dsm wrote:
  • A thin, light, low-height EDC blade. Something in the 2.5"-3.5" blade length range would make sense. I love the Delica and enjoy my Para3 LW as well, but I think the Spydie-hole in both of these causes the knife to jut into the pocket too much in certain situations. I'm thinking of something like a thiner Smock with less choil and recessed liners.
The chaparral fits this description to some degree.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:54 pm
dsm wrote:
I've been getting acquainted with the forum, and was inspired by Jazz's thread which led to the Delica wharnie (here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70607). In the spirit of that thread, what is an area of the current Spyderco lineup (i.e. not including retired models) that you think leaves something to be desired?

[*] A smaller knife with the BBL, like a mini-Manix 2 or Manix 2 LW. The Manix is a bit large for my use, but would still like to carry a BBL more frequently.
[/list]

What do you think?

Another year, another thread of bumping up the Para3-sized Manix, to complement Spyderco's Military/Paramilitary2/Para3 lineup. Maybe this is the year that Eric will listen? 😊
Honestly if they just made the manix 2’s design skinnier by 30% perhaps with a bit thinner blade stock or a hollow grind it would be a killer.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:30 pm
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:43 am

Found the Ti version…just wish Sal would make one in magnacut w/a tiny trademark hole in the blade section 🙏
I purchased the Ti blunt Neko last night. Thanks for reminding me of this concept in general!

My kayak knives will now consist of the Ti Neko on my PFD, and a Pacific Salt loose in the boat. Lance wouldn't agree with this, but I consider my Waterway and Siren too valuable to risk over the side.
I'd love to see something in the spirit of the Neko or the Benchmade 112, but with the Spyderco rustproofness and attention to ergonomics. Given that Sal has said in the past that sheepsfoot or blunt tip models don't sell terribly well, I don't know how likely it is, but it's certainly something I would like. The Gerber River Shorty is what I used when I did swiftwater rescue years ago and it's a great knife - the Neko was based on it I think - but it doesn't cut like H1 or LC200N would. The Swick might do it but I'm not quite ready to sacrifice the tip on my Swick 5. :winking-tongue
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

The biggest gap you say? How about a utility style folding kiridashi with a single bevel. That is something Spyderco is missing!
Attachments
4D5A0FCA-CB24-4987-A9B0-EECCC3BC8CED.jpeg
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
dsm

Post by dsm »

vandelay wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:10 pm
I'd like a smaller sheepsfoot knife. The Atlantic Salt is enormous and I find the blade style useful.

A small and thin knife from Golden would also be nice. Lil' Native LW might fit this, but I haven't seen the specs for that yet.
dsm wrote:
  • A larger (3") version of the Dragonfly with a high edge hardness/retention tool steel. Preferably still as thin as possible. I know the Caly Jr. is a past favorite, but unfortunately they are no longer in production.
I'd like a bigger K390 (or similar) wharncliffe and there aren't any with a choil or minimal ricasso. A big dragonfly or a rockjumper K390 (which is thinner behind the edge) would be nice.
dsm wrote:
  • A thin, light, low-height EDC blade. Something in the 2.5"-3.5" blade length range would make sense. I love the Delica and enjoy my Para3 LW as well, but I think the Spydie-hole in both of these causes the knife to jut into the pocket too much in certain situations. I'm thinking of something like a thiner Smock with less choil and recessed liners.
The chaparral fits this description to some degree.
Yes, agreed on the sheepsfoot and a thin Golden model. Agreed with the chaparral point, as well.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

A Clinch Pick
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Jim Malone wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:56 pm
A Clinch Pick
They have a folding one! Designed by SouthNarc!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”