Biggest gap in the Spyderco lineup?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dsm

Re: Biggest gap in the Spyderco lineup?

Post by dsm »

electro-static wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:37 pm
I think the biggest gap is: thin in the pocket slicey folders with a good blade to weight ratio.(skinny knives with a minimal pocket footprint).

Some sprints and colabs are, but in terms of regular production spyderco knives there isn’t much there to compete with the likes of a benchmade bugout or 940 osborne in terms of pocket footprint.
Yes, 100% agree here. This would probably be #1 on my wish list.
Jason

Post by Jason »

NON salt MAGNACUT
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

The biggest gap that I see is that despite having an amazing Salt line, Spyderco doesn't have a really good PFD knife. The Enuff Salt was one of my early Spydercos and even several years later I still keep trying to like it, but the sheath retention just isn't adequate. I also find the Enuff a little heavy and clunky for that purpose and I'd love a thinner and lighter PFD knife to appear in the salt line someday.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:50 pm
The biggest gap that I see is that despite having an amazing Salt line, Spyderco doesn't have a really good PFD knife. The Enuff Salt was one of my early Spydercos and even several years later I still keep trying to like it, but the sheath retention just isn't adequate. I also find the Enuff a little heavy and clunky for that purpose and I'd love a thinner and lighter PFD knife to appear in the salt line someday.
Good one. I use the Saver Salt for a PFD knife, but I'd much rather have a fixed blade. The Saver is so wide that it'll barely fit in my PFD's pocket that was specifically designed for carrying a knife, so it's hard to get it out. I have an Enuff Salt, and this spring I'll probably attach its sheath to the kayak, since the knife itself is fine, it's just heavier than I'd like.

A good solution, I think, is to simply make an Enuff 2 sheepfoot version with its thinner bladestock, in the original blade length and in a Salt steel.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

have you guys seen the kydex sheaths that are designed to deploy a folder when you draw it out? i wonder if something like that would work.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I've never seen a sheath like that! Any suggestions?
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:46 pm
have you guys seen the kydex sheaths that are designed to deploy a folder when you draw it out? i wonder if something like that would work.
I had never heard of them until you mentioned it. Now I've watched some YouTubes showing them. Sure it would work if I had one custom made for a Salt folder.

Several times I have almost sacrificed a Pacific Salt SE to make a PFD knife by totally rounding the tip to semi-circular, and dulling the portion of the non-serrated edge that was left. Such a knife with an auto-deploy sheath could be the ticket. The knife by itself would just be an even bigger Saver.

Still, I'd rather just have a blunt fixie with a truly lightweight kydex sheath that could be paracorded to my PFD. All of this has gotten me thinking about it again, so now I need to go mess with varius PFD/knife combos.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

dsm wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:49 pm
I've been getting acquainted with the forum, and was inspired by Jazz's thread which led to the Delica wharnie (here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70607). In the spirit of that thread, what is an area of the current Spyderco lineup (i.e. not including retired models) that you think leaves something to be desired?

[*] A smaller knife with the BBL, like a mini-Manix 2 or Manix 2 LW. The Manix is a bit large for my use, but would still like to carry a BBL more frequently.
[/list]

What do you think?

Another year, another thread of bumping up the Para3-sized Manix, to complement Spyderco's Military/Paramilitary2/Para3 lineup. Maybe this is the year that Eric will listen? 😊
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ladybug93 wrote:
Those are explicitly banned in Massachusetts and I suspect it’s not the only state. Might be worth looking into local jurisdictions for anyone considering one of those sheaths.
-Nick :bug-red
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:01 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Those are explicitly banned in Massachusetts and I suspect it’s not the only state. Might be worth looking into local jurisdictions for anyone considering one of those sheaths.
Oh, that's good to know. Thanks for the heads-up!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:01 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
thanks for the heads up! i hadn't thought of that. sounds about right for massachusetts though. i'll have to see if i can find anything in florida law about it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:41 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
I had never heard of them until you mentioned it. Now I've watched some YouTubes showing them. Sure it would work if I had one custom made for a Salt folder.

Several times I have almost sacrificed a Pacific Salt SE to make a PFD knife by totally rounding the tip to semi-circular, and dulling the portion of the non-serrated edge that was left. Such a knife with an auto-deploy sheath could be the ticket. The knife by itself would just be an even bigger Saver.

Still, I'd rather just have a blunt fixie with a truly lightweight kydex sheath that could be paracorded to my PFD. All of this has gotten me thinking about it again, so now I need to go mess with varius PFD/knife combos.

This is what I use: REI has them and if you’re a co-op member you can get 20% off certain times like right now!!!

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:29 pm
I've never seen a sheath like that! Any suggestions?
Black Bear Custom Kydex did do them but I don't see it on his website anymore. He did one for me that deployed a Spyderco Military S110V. I sold the knife and kydex sheath as one unit about 3 months ago on AZCK.

https://blackbearck.com/

EDIT: Auto Deploy Sheaths
https://blackbearck.com/products/
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:26 pm
Coastal wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:41 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

This is what I use: REI has them and if you’re a co-op member you can get 20% off certain times like right now!!!

I have one, but it's steel. I should have bought the titanium one, but I'm not even sure it was available when I bought mine. The steel one will rust just sitting in my garage, so I don't use it. It's a good idea, though, and now that you brought it back to my attention and I've discovered the Ti version, I'll probably give it another look. Thanks!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

dsm wrote:
*snip*

[*] A thin, light, low-height EDC blade. Something in the 2.5"-3.5" blade length range would make sense. I love the Delica and enjoy my Para3 LW as well, but I think the Spydie-hole in both of these causes the knife to jut into the pocket too much in certain situations. I'm thinking of something like a thiner Smock with less choil and recessed liners.
*snip*
In current production the Ikuchi is king (as mentioned earlier)

My fave in that department, tho discontinued, is the Baby Jess Horn. You could get lucky and find a NIB example for not too much.

It does have an old school traditional vibe. I like mine a lot. I carry it clipless with a bead. The clip is meh.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... rade-/1061
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

More mid to high end linerlock models. Especially in the more "hard use/outdoor department", so something like a linerlock Caribbean or linerlock Shaman.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

dsm wrote:
I've been getting acquainted with the forum, and was inspired by Jazz's thread which led to the Delica wharnie (here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70607). In the spirit of that thread, what is an area of the current Spyderco lineup (i.e. not including retired models) that you think leaves something to be desired?

To get us started, I would love to see three new things:
  • A larger (3") version of the Dragonfly with a high edge hardness/retention tool steel. Preferably still as thin as possible. I know the Caly Jr. is a past favorite, but unfortunately they are no longer in production.

What do you think?

That ! A 2.75''-2.90'' Dfly would be a helluva folder. The ultimate spyderco for me.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Found the Ti version…just wish Sal would make one in magnacut w/a tiny trademark hole in the blade section 🙏
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

No Gap here, just missing LC200n 🙏🙏🙏
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:43 am

Found the Ti version…just wish Sal would make one in magnacut w/a tiny trademark hole in the blade section 🙏
I purchased the Ti blunt Neko last night. Thanks for reminding me of this concept in general!

My kayak knives will now consist of the Ti Neko on my PFD, and a Pacific Salt loose in the boat. Lance wouldn't agree with this, but I consider my Waterway and Siren too valuable to risk over the side.