Are all SE’s single sided bevel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cycleguy

Are all SE’s single sided bevel?

Post by cycleguy »

Are all SE’s a single sided bevel?

I’ve not taken to this profile other than on a few woodworking chisels.

I know some PE kitchen knives with single sided bevel exist as well and they have a tendency to drift when cutting.

Does a SE that is beveled each side make any sense? Well, why not!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Evil D

Re: Are all SE’s single sided bevel?

Post by Evil D »

You would end up with a very thick blade grind at the top of the serrations, because they go so much further up into the blade grind than a plain edge bevel, plus the teeth and basically the whole edge would be twice as thick. The beautiful thing about a chisel grind is how thin the edge ends up being, on most knives it's less than 20 degrees inclusive.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Along the lines of Davids post I was about to say:

If one still wanted that about 20 INKLUSIVE SE edge, but ground on both sides this would mean about 10 PER SIDE and the grind would go up very high on the blade.

This could perhaps have advantages too though?
A bit like it is with a scandi grind that bites into would so well cause the shoulders of the grind are very high up the blade and so don't "stop" a cut early on? Just a guess.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

...I could also imagine that it is technically not too easy to match the serrations/scallops on both sides of the blade with an SE V-grind (and not chisel grind anymore)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I agree with what David said, also…

Matching the “cutting of the teeth” into the blade on the other side during production would probably be quite challenging?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:39 pm

Matching the “cutting of the teeth” into the blade on the other side during production would probably be quite challenging?

This is exactly what I tried to say in the post above yours - probably not worded to well? :grimace :grin-sweat
James Y

Post by James Y »

IMO, the way Spyderco serrations are one-sided is excellent. There is some drift when cutting, but not much, and it's easy to correct by adjusting the angle slightly during cutting, if needed. Especially with FFG SE.

Victorinox serrations are one-sided, and they work great too, but their blade stock is very thin.

Personally, I see no advantages that double-sided ground serrations would have over one-sided. As David mentioned, the edge would end up too thick, and most likely wouldn't cut as well, anyway.

The only single-sided bevel knives I have experience with that I've ever thought weren't good for my uses were from another company (that I won't name) whose blades are mostly marketed for "tactical" use, and whose primary blade grinds tend to be thick, so that the serrations (and PE) edges are ground too obtuse for my liking.

Jim
Last edited by James Y on Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is one of those issues where my age old philosophy kicks in >>> which states the following>> "IF It Ain't Broke Then Please Don't Try To Fix It". And please I don't mean that in an arrogant and mean spirited way. But I do think that Spyderco's patented Spyderedge really doesn't need much improvement from what I can tell.

The Results I get when I use most of my full SE Spyderco blades are usually satisfying results. Now on the other hand please don't get me wrong because if there is truly a way to make a good thing better I always try to keep an open mind.

I think what Spyderco could do to improve on their serrated blades would be to experiment with newer, different serration patterns to determine which ones might be the most efficient. But as far as the grind angles and current patented Spyderedge they are using at this time>> I don't have any valid complaints at this time.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:11 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:39 pm

This is exactly what I tried to say in the post above yours - probably not worded to well? :grimace :grin-sweat
No, you’re good. I just didn’t read!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Made in America Rada makes a dual serrated thin slicing knife. I take good care of it; not expensive, would not really use it in the field though

https://radakitchenstore.com/products/t ... csQAvD_BwE
Last edited by KITROBASKIN on Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

1CD1A9D2-9765-4FE2-B698-06C2F9D16C71.jpeg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KITROBASKIN wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:19 pm
1CD1A9D2-9765-4FE2-B698-06C2F9D16C71.jpeg

That's a borderline plain edge Kris blade with a small wave pattern.
~David
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Ha Ha …. Love to press the button, launch a rocket and see where it goes … this thread!!!

I am going to give that double bevel SE or as Evil D implies “ SE wanna be” a try.

Great stuff guys.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

The Husky serrated utility blade is thicker than the Kobalt.
Attachments
4C9D7C7F-5EEB-4E0E-9B8A-2F3AED1121C6.jpeg
sal

Post by sal »

I'll try to peel back the onion a bit. When I'm sharpening serrated kitchen knives for the restaurants in which I test, I will often sharpen the K04/5 on the 40 degree using a 1 and 1 ratio instead of a 5 to 1. That creates a "tougher" micro bevel and the knife will "steer" less.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:42 am
You would end up with a very thick blade grind at the top of the serrations, because they go so much further up into the blade grind than a plain edge bevel, plus the teeth and basically the whole edge would be twice as thick. The beautiful thing about a chisel grind is how thin the edge ends up being, on most knives it's less than 20 degrees inclusive.
You could grind serrations on both sides with the same included angle and get roughly the same thickness.

I thought the single sided aspect was just because of how difficult it is to make the serrations line up. With modern tooling you could CNC double sided serrations that are perfect but I assume that’s more costly than doing it the traditional way on a serration wheel.

I’ve yet to come around to SE kitchen knives so the steering aspect isn’t really a problem. For EDC opening boxes and cutting random things the chisel grind is a minor detail.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:36 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:42 am
You could grind serrations on both sides with the same included angle and get roughly the same thickness.

I thought the single sided aspect was just because of how difficult it is to make the serrations line up. With modern tooling you could CNC double sided serrations that are perfect but I assume that’s more costly than doing it the traditional way on a serration wheel.

I’ve yet to come around to SE kitchen knives so the steering aspect isn’t really a problem. For EDC opening boxes and cutting random things the chisel grind is a minor detail.

I'm talking about what would be the equivalent of behind the bevel thickness. It would be thicker than PE but without the advantage of having a near zero degrees back side edge angle, so it would basically be around twice as thick at the top of the bevel unless they deliberately grind the blade thinner to compensate. In the end it seems like a lot of hassle to overcome what is not really a big deal.
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I had a SE Ladybug, or maybe it was CE, but IIRC it was beveled from each side and had a large included angle because of it.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I would think that making it single sided from the factory makes it better for the end user because they can sharpen a V edge onto it or keep it single beveled.

I think the Deacon corrected me in thinking that it was chisel ground because the flat side of the blade isn't perfectly flat.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:23 pm
I would think that making it single sided from the factory makes it better for the end user because they can sharpen a V edge onto it or keep it single beveled.

I think the Deacon corrected me in thinking that it was chisel ground because the flat side of the blade isn't perfectly flat.

Right, your edge angle on the back side is basically whatever the blade grind angle is, which are closer to zero degrees on hollow grinds but higher on FFG. If you sharpen on a Sharpmaker and sharpen the back side the same as the front side you do end up with what is technically a 30/40 inclusive edge apex, but compared to a plain edge the thickness of that apex is usually thinner on SE, at least unless it's one of the thickly ground SE that have 20+ degree serrations ground on the front side. Pretty much all of my SE knives have 30 degree inclusive edges but they're much thinner at the edge than most my factory bevel PE knives.

A simple way to visualize this (and I mean this for anyone reading this not just you) is, if the serrations are ground at 15 degrees, the apex must be lower than a PE with 15 degree edge bevels on both sides because no matter what knife we're comparing, if it's SE then the back side edge angle is going to be what the blade grind angle is, and the blade grind angle is always quite a bit lower in than 15 degrees. You're almost cutting the thickness of the apex in half since there isn't an equally wide bevel on the back, and if they tried grinding serrations on both sides you would lose this advantage and I'm really not sure what you'd gain in return besides an edge that's less likely to steer through a cut, and I've really gotten used to that and rarely even notice it anymore.
~David