Next GOLDEN ERA Sprint Run Desired?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Next GOLDEN ERA Sprint Run Desired?

Post by JD Spydo »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:09 am
Updated Rookie to match the P4 would be nice
The ROOKIE model may indeed by the most "Under-Appreciated" Spyderco model ever made. If I was going to vote for a Spyderco model that could be a great EDC blade for virtually anyone it would be the ROOKIE without even thinking twice.

Also I keep hearing the Caly Jr continuing to pop up over and over. The only issue I would have with that is that I would want to see it in SE & PE both. I so dearly miss an older AUS-8 version of the Caly Jr. I had in full SE.

I'm kind of disappointed that the IMPALA model hasn't been mentioned. It's another "Under-Appreciated" model from that era. It was probably the only true "hunter-folder" that Spyderco ever marketed from the best of my memory.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The Impala has been mentioned before in your similar threads and it seemed to have some traction.

I would vote for the Rookie as well. I was able to track down a reasonably priced used one a couple of years ago and realized what I had overlooked for so long. It's a really nice knife in a good size that would make an excellent base for numerous sprints, IMO.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I agree the rookie is a really nice looking and probably performing edc piece. I think I like it more than the delica, it almost is a delica with a little bit slimmer overall proportions and closer blade to handle ratio which is nice imo.

But I wouldn’t buy one simply cus the Caly Jr for an edc blade exists.
:bug-red-white
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

Had carried a Rookie for over 10 years, hands down still my favorite.

Would live a dark gray g10 rookie with magnacut! Do it!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

infinkc wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:59 am
Had carried a Rookie for over 10 years, hands down still my favorite.

Would live a dark gray g10 rookie with magnacut! Do it!!
If we ever did an "Under-Appreciate"/Overlooked thread I have no doubt that the ROOKIE model would rank high in such a thread. It was kind of Little Brother of the iconic POLICE model and almost the absolute perfect EDC size that would even be great for most "Non Knife" people.

Hey if the votes come in for a revamped ROOKIE model I would be the last to complain.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:25 am
The Impala has been mentioned before in your similar threads and it seemed to have some traction.

I would vote for the Rookie as well.
That's a great observation because you are correct. There has always been a small but yet established group of guys who always liked the IMPALA model. And I heard it's designer ED Scott was well respected among his peers.

As far as I can remember it was the only true hunter/folder with maybe the possible exception of the Wegner model that Spyderco ever tried to market. The only drawback I can see to that suggestion is the IMPALA had a relatively small fanbase.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

How about a Jess Horn Lightweight?
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dodge wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:06 pm
How about a Jess Horn Lightweight?
That 2006 Burgundy Jess Horn model with the ZDP-189 steel was a great little "gentlemen's knife". On that I wish I still had. If they want to make another one similar to that one with some type of newer/better blade steel I would be all for it.

Some of those older Jess Horn models have got to be getting quite collectible at this place in time.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

The Impala was a great hunter folder design and personally like it over the Wegner . When the Stretch design came out I felt the design by Sal worked best for me in a lockback. If the Impala had been a lockback, I would still have it . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:04 am
The Impala was a great hunter folder design and personally like it over the Wegner . When the Stretch design came out I felt the design by Sal worked best for me in a lockback. If the Impala had been a lockback, I would still have it . MG2
Well "MG" I can certainly echo some of your likes and dislikes of the model. I wasn't all that moved by the locking system of the IMPALA either but I really liked the blade design overall. And it was one of the very few "hunter/folders" with a guthook that really seemed to work nicely. As far as I know I think that was the only Spyderco model that ever had a guthook.

Actually you could get the IMPALA with a guthook or without one. But that particular blade design made for a great field dressing and skinning knife.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:14 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:04 am
Well "MG" I can certainly echo some of your likes and dislikes of the model. I wasn't all that moved by the locking system of the IMPALA either but I really liked the blade design overall. And it was one of the very few "hunter/folders" with a guthook that really seemed to work nicely. As far as I know I think that was the only Spyderco model that ever had a guthook.

Actually you could get the IMPALA with a guthook or without one. But that particular blade design made for a great field dressing and skinning knife.
I am not a fan of gut hooks myself but the regular blade with the jimping near the tip to rest your index finger was a brilliant idea . Blade was so efficient and beautiful. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Another C58 JD Smith would get my money, but only if it had a Moki touch like the recent Ayoob. Newcomers won’t believe how commodious and slicey this knife is.

I’d also consider a C51 Rookie, my first, if collaboration and Moki are not in the mix.

I’ll add that dissing this and similar threads, and JD’s enthusiasm to take up the cause like a broken record, is not simply arrogant.

It also means you are incurious about the past on which Spyderco is built and will miss out on some amazing designs that our JD knows better than most of us. His recommendations have cost me some money, and all I can do is smile.

“He not busy being born is busy dying”, so sang Bob Dylan.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:25 am
Another C58 JD Smith would get my money, but only if it had a Moki touch like the recent Ayoob. Newcomers won’t believe how commodious and slicey this knife is.

I’d also consider a C51 Rookie, my first, if collaboration and Moki are not in the mix.

I’ll add that dissing this and similar threads, and JD’s enthusiasm to take up the cause like a broken record, is not simply arrogant.

It also means you are incurious about the past on which Spyderco is built and will miss out on some amazing designs that our JD knows better than most of us. His recommendations have cost me some money, and all I can do is smile.

“He not busy being born is busy dying”, so sang Bob Dylan.
Well "wrdwrght" the two models you like seem to be among the front runners at this time. But I can't completely dismiss the KRIS model either. I'm coming close to making a decision of which one I think would be agreed upon. Right now it seems like about an even draw between the JD Smith and KRIS models. The JD Smith is a model you just can't go wrong with>> one of Spyderco's most versatile models ever.. On the other hand the KRIS model has to be one of the most wanted discontinued models I can remember.

The KRIS was one of the very few from that Golden Era that I never got to check out. Whichever model we all can agree on to lobby for I still want it to be available in PE & SE both just like they did with the recent Cruwear Ayoob C-60 model. And the JD Smith was indeed a beast in full SE.
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:47 am
benben wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:37 am
Or....just make a newer, modern version full size Tim Wegner with K390 and be done with it! ;)
Tim Wegners designs were eventually sold through a brand called “blade tech” so I’m not sure if Spyderco would ever be able to (or willing to) remake any of his designs but I would absolutely love to have a version, new or old, of the Spyderco Mouse.
I sold a BladeTech Pro Hunter and an MLEK (related variant) a couple of years ago and there was very little interest. Felt like I had to give them away.

Which classic model would I like to see again? The Dyad. For me, the gray G10 sprint was ruined by the SS liners that changed it from 4-and-a-bit to almost 6 ounces. I’d like the original linen micarta construction with an interesting steel, or a FRN magnacut version.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Brummie wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:00 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:47 am
benben wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:37 am
Or....just make a newer, modern version full size Tim Wegner with K390 and be done with it! ;)
Tim Wegners designs were eventually sold through a brand called “blade tech” so I’m not sure if Spyderco would ever be able to (or willing to) remake any of his designs but I would absolutely love to have a version, new or old, of the Spyderco Mouse.
I sold a BladeTech Pro Hunter and an MLEK (related variant) a couple of years ago and there was very little interest. Felt like I had to give them away.

Which classic model would I like to see again? The Dyad. For me, the gray G10 sprint was ruined by the SS liners that changed it from 4-and-a-bit to almost 6 ounces. I’d like the original linen micarta construction with an interesting steel, or a FRN magnacut version.
Yeah I'm still holding out hope for a Salt Series version of the C-44 Dyad model at some point. Or maybe a Sprint Run with a set of Magnacut or Cruwear blades.

I also miss the original Dyad Jr with the Micarta handle.