Next GOLDEN ERA Sprint Run Desired?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Re: Next GOLDEN ERA Sprint Run Desired?

Post by Evil D »

You guys are kinda being dicks. Joe is enthusiastic about a particular generation of knives, let him have his fun. You can scroll right past and ignore it if you're not interested.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DunninLA

Post by DunninLA »

yeah, you're right... I'll remove my snarky comment.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:11 am

Calypso Jr. C52BR (with a MagnaCut blade) please 🥺
Guess I’m the one person who’s never seen a thread like this and w/that said I sure do like this one ☝️
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Araignee wrote:

What do you like about this model over alternatives? This one comes up a lot. People seem to hold it in high regard. Personally, I love the Caly series and hope it continues plus a 4" version. For something small and stout I like the native 5. But the Jr keeps coming up as a suggestion, so I'm honestly very curious. Thanks!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

JD started all those threads lol
MRj “Weak things break!”
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Kris. Every time. I won't back down. The most ergonomic spyderco ever made(also quite the looker). Unfortunately Sal has said they can't produce it right now. Maybe one day it'll change. Also use micarta instead of smooth G10 like the Persian sprint.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:30 am
Kris. Every time. I won't back down. The most ergonomic spyderco ever made(also quite the looker). Unfortunately Sal has said they can't produce it right now. Maybe one day it'll change. Also use micarta instead of smooth G10 like the Persian sprint.
I seem to recall hearing mention of a Lil Kris in the works but I can’t find any mention on the forum so it may have been something I heard mentioned in person at the SFO. I wonder if the lucky attendees at the Amsterdam meet saw anything like that this year? :thinking

I like the Kris model too. I’d welcome a sprint run of that knife but also wouldn’t turn down the idea of a Lil Kris model.
-Nick :bug-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Spyderhawk Salt, Calypso, Caly Jr., J.D. Smith.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:08 am
i feel like this question has been asked already... didn't you start another thread on this already, or was it just a discussion within the everlasting ayoob thread?

i've answered at least a couple of times that i'd like to see the dodo brought back. i know bhq did an exclusive in m4, but i'd like to see this design in a stainless and something that is good in pe and se.

looking back through the disco'd catalog, it seems most of the old models that interest me were made in the 2008-2014 time frame. i'd like a chance to get a khukuri, a kiwi 4, an equilibrium, a balance, a byrd wings slipit, an air, and probably a few others.
OK that's a fair question and I'll try my best to makes things clear. I'm basically trying to narrow down a lot of the information I've gathered on a couple of other threads concerning models from that era. Since the release of the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob there have been a few more models from that era get some attention recently.

I've heard a lot concerning the JD Smith and a couple of other popular models from that time period. But since then I've also taken a closer look at some other models from that time slot that have more or less fallen through the cracks. Because the KRIS, Zowada, Viele as well as some of the older "In House" models have had some recognition. And some of Spyderco's In House designs are starting to get more love than they had in the past. Especially the Calypso, TEMPERANCE and Renegade models.

If I've been somewhat redundant it's because I want everyone to have a broad base to vote from. And with the success we had recently with the C-60 Ayoob I want to lobby for one that most of us could agree on. You're never going to get 100% agreement on anything for that matter. But I also want to call some attention to some overlooked models that aren't that well known among many of the newbies who aren't aware of some of the older classics. So let me know if there are early models I've overlooked.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:45 pm
Spyderhawk Salt, Calypso, Caly Jr., J.D. Smith.
All solid selections and most being Spyderco In House designs as well. And who could not like the JD Smith?

I also still like the original TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model of 2004. I still think it's one of the best fixed blade designs

I can't understand why the Caly Jr. didn't become a permanent model. It's popularity has never waned that I'm aware of.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:30 am
That's why I brought up the KRIS model again. I truly think it's long overdue for a Sprint Run. But while we're on the subject of the older recurve models I still rate the SPYKER as my all time fav in that category. Very few fans today even know of it's existence.

Both the KRIS and SPYKER models were built extremely well. And both of them could endure brutal cutting jobs as well built as they were. Speaking of "well built" don't forget the old Stainless RESCUE model. It was built like an Abrams Tank IMO.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I wish I had bought a SpyKer years ago because I doubt it'll ever be revisited. Now they go for ridiculous amounts when you can find them.
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:49 am
Araignee wrote:

What do you like about this model over alternatives? This one comes up a lot. People seem to hold it in high regard. Personally, I love the Caly series and hope it continues plus a 4" version. For something small and stout I like the native 5. But the Jr keeps coming up as a suggestion, so I'm honestly very curious. Thanks!
I want a lockback with the size and ergos of the UKPK. I think many others feel the same because the UKPK is a knife that is priced low enough and easily available enough that lots of people have been/are willing to try it.
- Richard
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There are many I 'd love to see come back, but Sal, Eric, and other designers would rather there was capacity for all their new designs to make to the market.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
benben

Post by benben »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:47 am
benben wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:37 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:22 am
It seems this subject keeps getting talked about but no traction . Why not narrow down models and do a poll ? This subject will never satisfy everyone. MG2
Or....just make a newer, modern version full size Tim Wegner with K390 and be done with it! ;)
Tim Wegners designs were eventually sold through a brand called “blade tech” so I’m not sure if Spyderco would ever be able to (or willing to) remake any of his designs but I would absolutely love to have a version, new or old, of the Spyderco Mouse.
I have heard almost word for word exactly what you said before. I have a Wegner Jr. but would love an updated large version, and I'm with you, I'd love a mouse also! My Jr. has THE most satisfying sound when locked open!
cjk

Post by cjk »

a modernized Sage 4
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I mean cmon

cjk

Post by cjk »

A modernized Rookie which is patterned after the Police 4, choil and all.

Given that the Police 4 is a huge knife, the Rookie ought to be a small huge knife. Maybe close to 3.5 inches in blade length rather than 3".
Last edited by cjk on Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:09 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:56 am
JD Smith, Calypso, All SS Scorpius for me. (the one resembling a dolphin head with lanyard hole further back. )
Larry you are speaking of the big, first run C-54 Calypso aren't you?. Yeah I could high five that one myself. But only if we could have both edge types. Because I could still kick myself for trading my full SE, C-54 Calypso model. That C-54 with TEETH was like having a small chain saw in my pocket.
Aye, the C54 is the one i meant.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:23 pm
There are many I 'd love to see come back, but Sal, Eric, and other designers would rather there was capacity for all their new designs to make to the market.

I'm 100% in agreement that I also want more new models, I'm just saying instead of several sprints and exclusives of the typical models we constantly see getting special runs, maybe just once a year slip in something from the vintage lineup. Then it's the same amount of capacity, everyone gets what they want except for those who just want Spyderco to be a Para 2/3 machine. I wouldn't even mind seeing less variants in general if it meant more exciting new models but the same could be said, maybe just rotate in something from the good old days just once a year for us "old heads" if for no other reason than to shut us up.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David