Next GOLDEN ERA Sprint Run Desired?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Re: Next GOLDEN ERA Sprint Run Desired?

Post by benben »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:53 pm
Coastal wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:45 pm
Spyderhawk Salt, Calypso, Caly Jr., J.D. Smith.
All solid selections and most being Spyderco In House designs as well. And who could not like the JD Smith?

I also still like the original TEMPERANCE 1 fixed blade model of 2004. I still think it's one of the best fixed blade designs

I can't understand why the Caly Jr. didn't become a permanent model. It's popularity has never waned that I'm aware of.
Me I guess? I traded my micarta JD Smith this past weekend for a super nice Gayle Bradley 1.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Large Persian with Micarta scales, bolsters and a modern steel upgrade, coming from Seki possibly K390? I also always thought this knife would make an excellently wicked SE version.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

jdw wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:04 pm
Large Persian with Micarta scales, bolsters and a modern steel upgrade, coming from Seki possibly K390? I also always thought this knife would make an excellently wicked SE version.
This would be my number one choice, but I didn't think it fit the "Golden Era" criteria. If it does, sign me up! I'd even be excited to get VG-10. K390? Omigod!
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:49 am
What do you like about this model over alternatives? This one comes up a lot. People seem to hold it in high regard. Personally, I love the Caly series and hope it continues plus a 4" version. For something small and stout I like the native 5. But the Jr keeps coming up as a suggestion, so I'm honestly very curious. Thanks!
As I said in another thread, I imagine the Calypso Jr as basically a Chaparral Salt (i.e. more "off-roady" than a gentleman's folder) - with a dash of Dragonfly thanks to the swedge on its blade.

Given my attachment to the Chaparral, that's a pretty desirable combination in my book ;)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:39 pm
JSumm wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:49 am
What do you like about this model over alternatives? This one comes up a lot. People seem to hold it in high regard. Personally, I love the Caly series and hope it continues plus a 4" version. For something small and stout I like the native 5. But the Jr keeps coming up as a suggestion, so I'm honestly very curious. Thanks!
As I said in another thread, I imagine the Calypso Jr as basically a Chaparral Salt (i.e. more "off-roady" than a gentleman's folder) - with a dash of Dragonfly thanks to the swedge on its blade.

Given my attachment to the Chaparral, that's a pretty desirable combination in my book ;)
I don’t see where you’re getting the “salt” aspect in the calypso jr model, or a salt version of the chaparral. A salt knife is a matter of the steel primarily and the calypso jr hasn’t gotten any pure stain resistant steel runs.
:bug-red-white
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:41 pm
I don’t see where you’re getting the “salt” aspect in the calypso jr model, or a salt version of the chaparral. A salt knife is a matter of the steel primarily and the calypso jr hasn’t gotten any pure stain resistant steel runs.
It has a more "robust" aspect than the Chaparral to my eyes. Yes, this is very subjective, and obviously you don't feel the same.

Also steel is precisely the reason why I asked for a sprint run in MagnaCut.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Well with the moderate to good success we just had with the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob model I think it's high time we discuss another GOLDEN ERA ( 1998-2004), Old School model we would all like to target for another possible Sprint Run. I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am personally that Mr. Glesser and the Spyderco crew made the C-60 Cruwear Ayoob Sprint Run a reality. I can't quit playing with the serrated version>> it is a superb design needless to say.

I've been thinking about the next possible model to target for a Sprint Run. A few of them that I'm finding appealing are the C-56 Zowada, The KRIS model, The C-42 Viele, The Spyker or maybe even a new edition of the SUPERHAWK ( hopefully with TEETH next time). But it doesn't have to be confined to only those models. Maybe you all have some GOLDEN ERA ( 1998-2004) models that you all like even better.

There's just something really special about those late 90s/early 2000s models that really helped to put Spyderco in the forefront of the knife industry. OK Let's TALK!!
Joe, everything you have had a hand in has done pretty well. The ones you mention I like except for the Spyker. I had that and got rid of it because of the blade shape. For my uses it looks cool but is difficult to sharpen and doesn't cut as naturally and was prone to cutting too deeply in my hands.

I like the R, the J.D.Smith, and several others and would like to throw them into consideration along with the ones you brought up. The Superhawk would be awfully nice in something like Magnacut. There are a bunch of steel options that would work nicely in the group above. I got the Cruwear Ayoob and the Cruwear Endela so even though I would gladly buy more knives in Cruwear I'd also be happy with several others too.

We'll see but I'm pretty sure I'm in.

Joe
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

pro-grip. no one ever talks about it.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:53 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:41 pm
It has a more "robust" aspect than the Chaparral to my eyes. Yes, this is very subjective, and obviously you don't feel the same.

Also steel is precisely the reason why I asked for a sprint run in MagnaCut.
Yeah the calypso jr has a thicker blade stock and handle scales. But that isn’t what constitutes it being a salt knife. But I would also love if the calypso jr got another sprint run. Just not in a bright yellow or green frn. I always thought British racing green would look cool on the calypso jr’s fishscale frn handle. Or even better if they brought back the smooth linen micarta..
:bug-red-white
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:53 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:23 pm
There are many I 'd love to see come back, but Sal, Eric, and other designers would rather there was capacity for all their new designs to make to the market.

I'm 100% in agreement that I also want more new models, I'm just saying instead of several sprints and exclusives of the typical models we constantly see getting special runs, maybe just once a year slip in something from the vintage lineup. Then it's the same amount of capacity, everyone gets what they want except for those who just want Spyderco to be a Para 2/3 machine. I wouldn't even mind seeing less variants in general if it meant more exciting new models but the same could be said, maybe just rotate in something from the good old days just once a year for us "old heads" if for no other reason than to shut us up.
They already do revisit older models on a regular basis. That’s a huge part of what their sprint runs are about.

Last year for 2022 we got the Ayoob, 2021 we got the Phoenix, and 2020 wasnt a good year for anything, so we’ll just have to ignore the absence of a vintage sprint run that year. Then in 2019 we got the VTOKU2 Meerkat, 2018 alone we got FIVE in the Spyderhawk, Caly Jr., Kopa, PPT Perrin, and Shabaria! 2017 we got the HAP40 Meerkat, Baby Jess Horn, and Caly 3. I could probably keep going but my main point is that they’ve averaged about one vintage model sprint run per year for years now.

If we’re going to see another one for 2023, I would suspect the model has already been chosen. The JD Smith seems like it had traction at the right time a little while ago and it could potentially be the vintage model sprint run we see this year.
-Nick :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Not sure if it is from the golden era but i'd like a new FRN Cricket with H1 SE Reverse S blade
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wayne Goddard all the way. Make it in Golden and Crucarta that mutha. I would melt.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

The idea of a Superleaf in Cruwear or Magnacut is definitely appealing. As a Superhawk and Superleaf owner it would be nice to see one of them brought back for a sprint run.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:34 pm
Wayne Goddard all the way. Make it in Golden and Crucarta that mutha. I would melt.
You don't hear much anymore about those GODDARD models from the early 2000s. But I had one of the gray colored units which was one of the very first Goddard models made with VG-10 blade steel. The first Goddard models I believe were mostly made with ATS-55. The guy I sold it to really loved it for field dressing deer and other outdoor chores. And as far as I know I'm pretty sure he still has it.

I personally liked the Chinnook III and the original C-60 Ayoob better for those types of jobs myself. But I do think that Goddard design would make a great hunter/folder if nothing else. I've heard that if you can find a fully serrated version of the Goddard model that they are a collector's gem. From what I was told there were very few full SE Goddard models ever made. Personally I've never seen one but I did know a guy who had one in his collection. He told me that he bought his from a J. Bruce Voyles auction.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Araignee wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:11 am

Calypso Jr. C52BR (with a MagnaCut blade) please 🥺
That is a most interesting possibility because the 2005 Burgundy Caly Jr. was the very first Spyderco blade ever made with ZDP-189 blade steel. I had 3 of those at one time. But a Magnacut blade for a newer edition would be most interesting>> The only thing I would change would be to have them available in full SE.

I had one of the older Caly Jr. models with a full SE AUS-8 blade steel and it was a great work knife. It was a beast of a cutter in full SE. Another model I wish I never would have traded.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Ok in all fairness I do realize that some of you have blades from a totally different era that you like better than the 1998-2004 time slot. And that's OK!!. I just feel that there are so many super classics from the GOLDEN ERA 1998-2004 that with newer/better blade materials, different handle materials and maybe a couple of minor changes can virtually make it into a completely new model all together. For you guys who like a different ERa then start a thread on that one. I would be curious to see which era might be more liked. And I'm sure there are models I would like there too.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

FTR, I'm not opposed to more updated old models. I just don't think Spyderco is enamored with repeating the past as we are.

I hear you on the P2/P3 machine. :confounded
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have to agree with Nick , that a model may have been chosen and possibly will be revealed in the future . The rebirth of an older model once a year does not seem to be asking a lot but Spyderco does have a full plate . Since the first quarter of the year is quickly approaching I think renewing the subject of a model has passed to see one this year . I really like seeing old models upgraded and released but I am hopeful to see a completely new model . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Updated Rookie to match the P4 would be nice
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:09 am
Updated Rookie to match the P4 would be nice
Great idea.