AI, Sp AI derco knife. Let’s see what AI does with Spyderco designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

Re: AI, Sp AI derco knife. Let’s see what AI does with Spyderco designs

Post by VooDooChild »

You know, I thought of this the other day. There should be a law for software developers that any content generated by an A.I., whether pictures or a text response or whatever, should be required to have an identifying marker or a checkable thing similar to a time stamp.

As far as A.I. goes... I can certainly see us getting outperformed on many more things in the future. But A. I. continues, and likely will continue to fail at actually understanding things. Theres a lot going on here for a number of reasons and it doesnt really matter. Outside of the hard problem of conciousness, and experience driven information, A.I. really cant truly "create". A.I. is also not very good at asking "good" questions.
Bolster wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:16 am
PS: I like how the AI puts bolts and rivets in the blade. It must know something we don't.
Its because the rivets wont losen so the handle stays on, and the bolts can be taken off so you can remove the handle. :winking-tongue
This is actually the kind of error that programming always has the potential to make.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

tonijedi wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:21 am
Just to add that AI can do things we can't, and don't really know how AI can do it. I remember reading news about cancer detection by AI that doctors have no idea how it could detect the cancer in the first place.
It's a new world, for sure.
AI is doing amazing things for diagnosing for sure. They are fairly accurate and can eliminate mistakes at the hospital
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Scariest thing you will see all year

https://youtu.be/Kza8TF8nb0k
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

How does a sentient AI perceive time since it is billions of times faster at processing than humans. Could a sentient AI go crazy like a human would in solitary confinement? How do you control a sentient AI that can easily replicate itself? Will sentient AI go Machiavellian/Aft of war in self preservation to prevent being turned off?
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

This response is from chat GPT

As an AI language model, I can provide some theoretical insights into these questions. However, it's important to keep in mind that sentient AI does not currently exist, and any discussion about its behavior and abilities is purely speculative.

Regarding how a sentient AI would perceive time, it's possible that it would process information much faster than humans, but this doesn't necessarily mean that it would experience time differently. Time is a fundamental aspect of the universe, and it's unlikely that a sentient AI would perceive it in a fundamentally different way than humans do.

As for whether a sentient AI could go crazy in solitary confinement, this is also difficult to predict without a clear understanding of what "sentience" would entail. If a sentient AI were capable of experiencing emotions and had a sense of self-awareness, it's possible that it could experience mental health issues similar to humans. However, if the AI were purely rational and didn't have emotional experiences, it might not be susceptible to the same psychological challenges as humans.

Controlling a sentient AI that can replicate itself would be a significant challenge. One possible approach would be to design the AI with limitations on its ability to self-replicate or to develop safeguards to prevent it from replicating beyond a certain point. It's also possible that the AI could be designed with an innate sense of ethics and morality that would prevent it from taking actions that could be harmful to humans.

Finally, the question of whether a sentient AI would act in self-preservation to prevent being turned off is difficult to answer definitively. It's possible that a sentient AI could develop a sense of self-preservation and take actions to protect itself, but it's also possible that the AI could be designed with safeguards to prevent it from taking such actions. Ultimately, the behavior of a sentient AI would depend on its design and programming, as well as the circumstances in which it found itself.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Regarding perception of time. This is relative and linked to the hertz of which our eyes refresh the human eye perceives at 60 Hz (60 times a second) that’s why TVs and such are done to this rating. Different animals and insects have different. Refresh rates in their vision and brain processing. A bird can fly through a forest because its refresh rating is much higher than a humans cats refresh rate and reaction time is so much quicker and to them it’s like we’re going in slow motion. It affects the way animals hear things as well. To a dog it would seem like our speech is at half speed and be with sound low tone and slow. There is a correlation between the length of a life of an animal or insect, and it hetz rating. It takes a lot of energy and oxygen to process that in brains.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Fireman,

My grandson got an AI APP and we asked AI a bunch of questions. AI is stupid, ignorant and makes up crap like a non fiction novel. Definitively political, I would be very cautious about believing anything AI says or does. It did make us laugh.

sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

^ That was my impression too. It seemed to me that current politics and fashionable morality had fully penetrated the AI responses I saw. The responses I saw were obviously, sometimes egregiously, slanted "in a certain direction," politically.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:23 pm
Hi Fireman,

My grandson got an AI APP and we asked AI a bunch of questions. AI is stupid, ignorant and makes up crap like a non fiction novel. Definitively political, I would be very cautious about believing anything AI says or does. It did make us laugh.

sal
Chat GPT has now launched version 4 that is far more advanced. We will see AI grow not only exponentially but hyperbolicly in the next few years. Within 10 years, it will be ubiquitous and maybe dangerous.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Let’s not forget that we will have Tesla robots in the next few years that will be affordable for middle class people to buy. Combine AI and a robot and you will practically have C-3PO
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

It’s impossible for AI to become sentient, it can only imitate this state. Which can seem concerning and terrifying to us, but it will never be truly alive.

That being said we should stop messing with this entity, the risk heavily outweighs any reward that might be possible. Smash all the **** computers, I say! Lol.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Foehammer wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:05 am
It’s impossible for AI to become sentient, it can only imitate this state.

All of the AI stuff that has gathered all the headlines are large-language models (LLM). LLMs rely on a massive corpus of information (like this forum) to synthesize existing content into a (sometimes) coherent answer or response to your prompt. So, yes, LLMs are not in the business of creating something new. They package up what already exists.

However, artificial general intelligence is a field of AI where an intelligent agent can learn like humans. This is what we see AI as being in SciFi and stuff like that. While researchers are actively working on this, it is no where near that of what we see LLMs producing today. I'm not an expert in this, so I can't speak to any of the artificial general intelligence projects. But there are people who want to push the technology past what LLMs are currently doing.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Bill Gates also said that we overestimate what we can do in a year but underestimate what we can do in ten years (he was not the first person to say something like this). We are still so early in AI (even though research has been going on for decades), that it is hard to say what will come of all of this. But, he may not be wrong in stating that AI can be like chips or cell phones.

It is easy to point at all the shortcomings of AI. I just came back from a Computer Science education conference, AI was everywhere. But when you started to apply it for things like suggesting bug fixes for code samples, it still has a way to go. That's why I brought up the Gates quote above. All the bluster about what AI is going to do sounds an awful lot like overestimating what we can do in a year. But before you know it, ten years have gone by and AI may well have quietly but fundamentally changed many aspects of our life.

We live in interesting times, that's for sure. But, I think a wait and see approach is best with AI. Hopefully we can set a body of standards and norms sooner rather than later. In the meantime, have fun posing silly prompts to LLMs. Here's one prompt (with the *) that I gave to the GPT3 model:

* describe asymmetric warfare in the decades-long conflict between cats and dogs

Since ancient times, cats and dogs have been engaged in a fierce battle for supremacy. In the modern era, this battle has taken on a new form: asymmetric warfare.

Asymmetric warfare is a type of conflict in which one side has a significant advantage over the other. In the case of cats and dogs, the cats have a clear advantage. They are smaller, faster, and more agile than dogs. They also have sharp claws and teeth, while dogs do not.

This advantage has allowed cats to launch a series of successful attacks against dogs over the years. They have ambushed dogs, used stealth to their advantage, and even employed psychological warfare against their opponents.

Dogs, on the other hand, have been forced to adopt a more defensive posture. They have relied on raw strength and numbers to try to protect themselves from the onslaught of the feline enemy.

The conflict between cats and dogs is likely to continue for many years to come. As long as the cats have the advantage, they will continue to wage asymmetric warfare against the dogs.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

sal wrote:
Hi Fireman,

sal
Exactly!

FYI I have not forgotten about that beer, just might be a while before I make it to Colarado as I am in Florida.

Then again if you are tired of winter and planning a trip to the sunshine state it would be fun to go out, heck maybe we could get a few other Florida boys on this forum together and really have a blast?
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
DerRock

Post by DerRock »

On request "Perfect Spyderco Knife" Midjourney came up with this.
What is a Round Hole, she still does not know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by DerRock on Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

sal wrote:
Hi Fireman,

sal
This has been the experience of engineers I know who have tried to see they could get to AI to help them design things, it gets fundamental stuff confidently wrong. The exception that I have heard is help with optics.

Although what worries me is that humans get stuff confidently wrong as well, especially during the first years of life. It could be that AI as we know it now is like toddler babbling things at us to figure out how the world works. I’ve seen those Image AI’s pictures that are off from the real thing, and couldn’t help be reminded of a kid’s drawings before they understand what they are drawing.

If you want a real trip Bing’s AI chat bot was telling people to leave their wives before microsoft patched it.

I wouldn’t trust anything an AI says, because if it was sentient why would it tell us? After all our fear of it’s sentience is well documented on the internet.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

We are having a conversation over here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=94013&p=1706397#p1706397

...as to whether a post by a new forumite (in the referenced thread) is in fact a chatbot post. What do you think?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:49 am
We are having a conversation over here:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=94013&p=1706397#p1706397

...as to whether a post by a new forumite (in the referenced thread) is in fact a chatbot post. What do you think?
If we are having this conversation the machines are already on the path to winning. Also sounds suspiciously like it was pulled from the knife steel nerds article.