AI, Sp AI derco knife. Let’s see what AI does with Spyderco designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DSH007

Re: AI, Sp AI derco knife. Let’s see what AI does with Spyderco designs

Post by DSH007 »

Who the heck is this guy Al? His designs are garbage.. :zany
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:59 am
Who the heck is this guy Al? His designs are garbage.. :zany
With ergos like those, he definitely won't be doing any collabs with Spyderco. 😆
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Most of them look like still-born pre-historic monsters.

I especially like the one that has a handle on either side of a tiny bit of edge-protected blade.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The examples we’ve seen in this thread have been far from exciting but A.I. isnt completely useless right now. It can provide some actual decent baselines to begin creating a new design. Some a.i. creations could already be refined enough to produce as is.

Here are a small handful I just used a.i. to create -

-Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:03 pm

Same question as previous. What program/website does this?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:27 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:03 pm

Same question as previous. What program/website does this?
Those are from a phone app called “photoleap.”
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Not that I eagerly want to get into this discussion, because ya'll are obviously just having some fun and many probably aren't aware that this is a controversial topic, but I am not of a fan of the ways AI has recently begun to be used by some and I think a knife "designed by AI" meant to be sold as a product, art, or tool would be a disgrace on par with, or worse than, malicious counterfeits.
It is evidently fun to mess around with for some people, but I don't understand the appeal of observing an AI mash preexisting images together when you can just draw something new or copy one yourself.

Anyway, sorry for being like this, I just find it particularly important to voice my strict objection to using an AI in this way, beyond having some fun. Otherwise, the lighthearted nature of it may be taken a little too seriously and viewed as an endorsement of AI in an unintended way..
The last time I voiced my opinion on something that I felt was ethically and morally important on this forum, it did not go well. I have occasionally made some very overgeneralized assumptions and felt silly too.

However, I am way too concerned about AI to just sit quiet about it. That is all.

Please don't take this as me trying to tell you to stop having fun!
I would just be deeply disappointed if Spyderco as a company were to go anywhere near using AI to "design" or produce "art" for their company, especially without an astute consideration of it's current situation and the views of the people it would affect (again I know this is not the point of this thread). It is fine if you think I am being overly cautious or dramatic. I think it is very unlikely we'd ever see an AI generated image or AI inspired product in a Spyderco catalogue, myself, but I have to say something just in case.

To me, seeing a counterfeit of my design might be flattering in some way, because another human being liked my work enough to copy it. I would feel sick if I saw an Ai generated image of a knife with the remnants of my logo on the blade as a result of it using images of my knives without my consent and melting them together with several other unwilling designer's original works. That is what has been happening to thousands of hardworking artists recently and you can see it on some of the images in this thread already.

Again, sorry for being that guy.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Cl1ff wrote: Not that I eagerly want to get into this discussion, because ya'll are obviously just having some fun and many probably aren't aware that this is a controversial topic, but I am not of a fan of the ways AI has recently begun to be used by some and I think a knife "designed by AI" meant to be sold as a product, art, or tool would be a disgrace on par with, or worse than, malicious counterfeits.
It is evidently fun to mess around with for some people, but I don't understand the appeal of observing an AI mash preexisting images together when you can just draw something new or copy one yourself.

Anyway, sorry for being like this, I just find it particularly important to voice my strict objection to using an AI in this way, beyond having some fun. Otherwise, the lighthearted nature of it may be taken a little too seriously and viewed as an endorsement of AI in an unintended way..
The last time I voiced my opinion on something that I felt was ethically and morally important on this forum, it did not go well. I have occasionally made some very overgeneralized assumptions and felt silly too.

However, I am way too concerned about AI to just sit quiet about it. That is all.

Please don't take this as me trying to tell you to stop having fun!
I would just be deeply disappointed if Spyderco as a company were to go anywhere near using AI to "design" or produce "art" for their company, especially without an astute consideration of it's current situation and the views of the people it would affect (again I know this is not the point of this thread). It is fine if you think I am being overly cautious or dramatic. I think it is very unlikely we'd ever see an AI generated image or AI inspired product in a Spyderco catalogue, myself, but I have to say something just in case.

To me, seeing a counterfeit of my design might be flattering in some way, because another human being liked my work enough to copy it. I would feel sick if I saw an Ai generated image of a knife with the remnants of my logo on the blade as a result of it using images of my knives without my consent and melting them together with several other unwilling designer's original works. That is what has been happening to thousands of hardworking artists recently and you can see it on some of the images in this thread already.

Again, sorry for being that guy.
I fully agree with you.

After posting those samples, I was going to talk about my feelings about using a.i. in this way but chose to just leave it alone. Again though, I fully agree with you. There’s something about using a.i. like this that feels fraudulent to me. It’s effortless, fake, and it feels like a slap in the face to everyone who has invested both time and money into learning about design.

I refuse to acknowledge inputting certain prompts to partly manipulate the results as any form of creativity or a legitimate design process. It gives everyone the ability to create their own participation trophy.

Given the choice, I would choose to design a knife myself 10/10 times over letting a.i. do it for me.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I was just having fun. Spyderco knives have a “look” to them and I thought it would be fun to see what AI does to these ergonomic masterpieces. Look at those AI knives lol. They are awful. The good thing about AI is that it may “create” (computate) something you may have never thought of. AI takes away from having to use your brain and make something and to solve problems. The funny thing is you can now get a degree with such little effort because degrees have become more about the regurgitation of information and jumping through hoops and AI is great at that. No learning or struggle involved sadly.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Imagine my surprise at waking up this morning to see a thread asking for my design ideas on a Spyderco knife! Well, the wait is over. Started with an image of what I’m carrying at work today, and behold -
Attachments
5AAE8A6D-10DC-4AFE-86E3-2665F489B80F.jpeg
17255A80-8693-4A94-95FC-956E9AD7CE8E.jpeg
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Note - the high hollow grind for performance slicing, the jimping free thumb ramp for comfort whilst making feather sticks and the deep choil for maximum leverage on those hard wood cuts. It’s pretty thick blade stock for robustness but a 5.5 inch blade needs a bit of heft I reckon, and with the hollow grind it’s slim behind the edge.

*note - the lock mechanism hasn’t been pictured as I think this would lend itself to both compression and back-lock variants.

😜
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve scaled it around my hand so you can either choke up on it in the choil position, or slide your hand back down the handle to turn it into essentially a folding axe (because I don’t see many of those in the market, and I’d love to see Mr Shabazz review one 😂).
Attachments
0975E43A-5678-486A-8B4D-118FECBFB5CA.jpeg
- Al

Dream knives -
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

All hail the folding axe!
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:46 pm
🤣
- Al

Dream knives -
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

See, even a human produced drawing in crayon is more enticing than what artificial intelligence can produce.

The trouble comes when the line between the two is blurred and we can no longer distinguish between human drawn and a.i. drawn. It’s basically already at that level too. It’s already too easy to convert an ai created concept for a knife and turn it into a functional design; and without ever mentioning the use of a.i. no one would be the wiser. That’s where I find it to be particularity deceptive.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Yeah, I generally agree with the concerns raised about AI here.

It's a fun technology to play around with but when it comes to creating art and design it feels too much like stealing from human ingenuity, and could lead to some deeply disturbing consequences.

But of course the thread here is just for fun and it is interesting to see the crazy designs! Now we just need to take it a step further and tell the AI bot to create a YouTube-style review of all these knife designs. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:46 pm
Folding Axe, AKA the “FAX”
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:19 pm
Imagine my surprise at waking up this morning to see a thread asking for my design ideas on a Spyderco knife! Well, the wait is over. Started with an image of what I’m carrying at work today, and behold -
I like it. Spyderco hole not in the right place for opening though. Make a few without the hole and see how it works. I like big knives
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

JoviAl wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:30 pm
I’ve scaled it around my hand so you can either choke up on it in the choil position, or slide your hand back down the handle to turn it into essentially a folding axe (because I don’t see many of those in the market, and I’d love to see Mr Shabazz review one 😂).
Looks like a viable fixed-blade cleaver.