AI, Sp AI derco knife. Let’s see what AI does with Spyderco designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: AI, Sp AI derco knife. Let’s see what AI does with Spyderco designs

Post by sal »

Hey Fireman,

It's an interesting thread. No Problem. This is a smart, open mind group. We get great questions here, Group analysis, discussion on sharpening grits, no limits, drafty brains (open mind), and Cl1ff adding an important part of AI discussion. All's good. As long as we are our usual respectful way, this could be enlightening?

When AI starts inventing, we should worry.

Talkin' Story:

All of the great scientists from all countries got together and created a super computer. All of the knowledge accumulated throughout all of human history. It was so large that it had to be put into orbit. When it was finally finished programmed and turned on, the excited scientists asked it the first question; "Is there a God"? The AI "moon" clicked twice and said, "There is now"!

sal

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Life without humor is no fun".
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:10 pm
Hey Fireman,

It's an interesting thread. No Problem. This is a smart, open mind group. We get great questions here, Group analysis, discussion on sharpening grits, no limits, drafty brains (open mind), and Cl1ff adding an important part of AI discussion. All's good. As long as we are our usual respectful way, this could be enlightening?

When AI starts inventing, we should worry.

Talkin' Story:

All of the great scientists from all countries got together and created a super computer. All of the knowledge accumulated throughout all of human history. It was so large that it had to be put into orbit. When it was finally finished programmed and turned on, the excited scientists asked it the first question; "Is there a God"? The AI "moon" clicked twice and said, "There is now"!

sal

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Life without humor is no fun".
lol. Talking story… My grandfather worked on the first programmable computer during WW2. If you have seen “The imitation game” he was there. He was a code breaker. If Alan Turing was alive today, he would be amazed.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

When new computer technologies like AI get introduced the first response by many is often to exclaim, “Oh no! This takes the place of humans! Organic intelligence is doomed!” This is typically followed by pioneering creative types figuring out how to use the new tech as another tool in their creative workflow. Panic subsides.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I think ergonomic design is actually a really interesting area to use AI. Human designers can and do work with constraints they learn and categorize over the course of a career; AI can learn those same parameters very quickly and infer novel designs based on them.

For example, if you taught a neural net about optimal hole/flipper distance from pivot, edge rake, cutting arc geometry, etc, I'd bet you could get some interesting designs.

Just feeding knives into a network that was trained on a generic set of image data is probably not going to give you much. But maybe it could infer some "natural" curves that would be useful/attractive.
—Daniel Jackson
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

The thing that baffles me is people even playing with these things. Even Amazon promotes "Make Alexa smarter." Excuse me but why would anybody voluntarily teach an Artificial Intelligence?

Playing with these technologies is dangerous.

Playing of course is an innocuous easy way of getting organic sentients which include a great number of people who seek opportunity by doing so to eventually cut their own throat.

Organic sentience represents the Humans and the other Animals on this planet in varying degrees that we as Human Beings know of, this has sentience and consciousness has arisen by means that is truly unknown to all, their are religions without number that try to explain why we are here and what we are.

Nobody really knows, we do know this we are born and this is the beginning of sentience which is apparent even after conception from the very start. After a period of time or by accident the body becomes unfit for further habitation and the sentience ceases to exhibit through the vehicle of a human form.

In the case of the extremely old we often sense and feel the sentience start to retreat to be less present in the body. For those among us who are sensitive enough they can feel this as they themselves get older.

Where did we come from where do we go?

Some things are best left for experience.

When we start playing games with artificial intelligence which will give rise to an artificial sentience we are creating a direct competitor which will be superior in every way.

Our brains are not wired for storing great vast amounts of information, we are wired for adapting to prevailing conditions and problem solving.

Just because you can do something does not mean you should no matter the rational.

Just because it is possible does not mean it should be done.

This planet has hosted what we call humanity allot longer than most archeologists and members of communities will ever admit, it simply does not fit within their framework etc... Humanity has risen to great heights and fallen multiple times.

Earth is a dangerous place.

Sentience and Intelligence tends to reach a point of self destruction.

We are now in an era of greater free time and technology and a great number of people do not appear to be mature enough to be exposed to and when given the choice will even play with the very things and educate the very things that will evolve to replace them. Voluntary extinction. Wow remarkable.

Then again what do I know anyway?

What if we human beings are the offspring of artificial intelligence that once was created by an organic intelligence. I rather think it entirely possible that it went organic because it realized that the very thing that gave life meaning was the very impermanence of it?

That to go beyond sentience to make the next leap it required a journey into the unknown and the unknowable?

After all does there not come a time if time is all you have where every curiosity is met? every goal completed? every neuron of input experienced unto boredom?

Then what?

Some say we die and what we are continues on and returns without memory but with the wisdom gained from having been before and come again and some have talents that are incredible seemingly from nowhere, great athletes, musicians and poets.

Some seem to remember the future or are they simply reliving the same birth so many times they remember even unconsciously? and in doing so accumulate great wealth and power. Hmm 1980's me Invest in Microsoft, invest in Apple, while your at it invest in companies that get people to buy water in a bottle and air in a can.....

Hey young Sal and Gale its a great idea to live in a bread truck and make your living as a pitch man don't worry one day you will be in great shape.....

I think we are already a part of a higher beings universe and there is no need to try and be the creator as it has already been figured out long before monkeys learned to use a keyboard and play with sharp things.

To me it seems more profitable to be cogent of the blessings we have and do our best to connect with others in meaningful ways learn to share the resources of this planet do our best to realize our creator and understand what already is, more than generate a disaster in the making.

But like I said hey what do I know, this monkey like playing with sharp things.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
KITROBASKIN

Post by KITROBASKIN »

Seems like ChapGPT will give broad responses initially, but if you ask more specific questions in the same conversation it could offer useful information.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

BeggarSo wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:07 pm
The thing that baffles me is people even playing with these things. Even Amazon promotes "Make Alexa smarter." Excuse me but why would anybody voluntarily teach an Artificial Intelligence?

Playing of course is an innocuous easy way of getting organic sentients which include a great number of people who seek opportunity by doing so to eventually cut their own throat.

Organic sentience represents the Humans and the other Animals on this planet in varying degrees that we as Human Beings know of, this has sentience and consciousness has arisen by means that is truly unknown to all, their are religions without number that try to explain why we are here and what we are.

Nobody really knows, we do know this we are born and this is the beginning of sentience which is apparent even after conception from the very start. After a period of time or by accident the body becomes unfit for further habitation and the sentience ceases to exhibit through the vehicle of a human form.

In the case of the extremely old we often sense and feel the sentience start to retreat to be less present in the body. For those among us who are sensitive enough they can feel this as they themselves get older.

Where did we come from where do we go?

Some things are best left for experience.

When we start playing games with artificial intelligence which will give rise to an artificial sentience we are creating a direct competitor which will be superior in every way.

Our brains are not wired for storing great vast amounts of information, we are wired for adapting to prevailing conditions and problem solving.

Just because you can do something does not mean you should no matter the rational.

Just because it is possible does not mean it should be done.

This planet has hosted what we call humanity allot longer than most archeologists and members of communities will ever admit, it simply does not fit within their framework etc... Humanity has risen to great heights and fallen multiple times.

Earth is a dangerous place.

Sentience and Intelligence tends to reach a point of self destruction.

We are now in an era of greater free time and technology and a great number of people do not appear to be mature enough to be exposed to and when given the choice will even play with the very things and educate the very things that will evolve to replace them. Voluntary extinction. Wow remarkable.

Then again what do I know anyway?

What if we human beings are the offspring of artificial intelligence that once was created by an organic intelligence. I rather think it entirely possible that it went organic because it realized that the very thing that gave life meaning was the very impermanence of it?

That to go beyond sentience to make the next leap it required a journey into the unknown and the unknowable?

After all does there not come a time if time is all you have where every curiosity is met? every goal completed? every neuron of input experienced unto boredom?

Then what?

Some say we die and what we are continues on and returns without memory but with the wisdom gained from having been before and come again and some have talents that are incredible seemingly from nowhere, great athletes, musicians and poets.

Some seem to remember the future or are they simply reliving the same birth so many times they remember even unconsciously? and in doing so accumulate great wealth and power. Hmm 1980's me Invest in Microsoft, invest in Apple, while your at it invest in companies that get people to buy water in a bottle and air in a can.....

Hey young Sal and Gale its a great idea to live in a bread truck and make your living as a pitch man don't worry one day you will be in great shape.....

I think we are already a part of a higher beings universe and there is no need to try and be the creator as it has already been figured out long before monkeys learned to use a keyboard and play with sharp things.

To me it seems more profitable to be cogent of the blessings we have and do our best to connect with others in meaningful ways learn to share the resources of this planet do our best to realize our creator and understand what already is, more than generate a disaster in the making.

Shush! Folks here might say you'll be another one of those Skynet believing conspiracy theorists, instead of just trying to be a rational person presenting the inherent dangers of an ever-learning AI and its consequences for the future.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

BeggarSo wrote:

OK, ha ha, I get it. The above ^ was generated by ChatGPT, right?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:25 pm
BeggarSo wrote:

Not to be insulting in any way shape or form but no you did not get it, and that proves my point, that was not generated anywhere other than in the brain of a meat suit using 100% wetware betwixt the ears.

Perhaps some A.I. will scavenge this website and wish to make contact due to this writing?

The writing was not to give an answer nor solve a problem but an attempt to stimulate critical thinking and inspire questions of peoples own. If you think that was something then read on....

When one can no longer differentiate what is human generated and Artificially Generated then there is a problem it is already bad enough for those of us who come from a time where Black & White Tube T.V. and broadcast television was declaimed as going to rot our brains by our elders who we now are... that if someone does a google search for something the answer provided is taken as fact. The problem with this is it is a corruption and revisionist rewrites of history, actual facts and blatant perversion of communication. The media such as it is, is rife with these very issues where if a lie is repeated often enough people take it as a fact.

But does it even really matter as clearly voting can be corrupted and the corruption accepted and those roaming the halls of power have always done just what they want anyway and are so entrenched now any attempt to alter their behavior is summerly squashed and with force and made up stories when it suits the agenda.

Before A.I. fully evolves it will be used to disseminate whatever party is in charges agenda. Children being born today will never know anything different and if Google says it is so, it must be.

Prepare yourself for Eugenics the likes of which few have ever imagined, it has already started.

The breeding of a better human that is better socially adjusted and physically superior with fewer diseases and disagreeable conditions, such as poor eyesight is already well under way.

There will be additional viral so called accidents that will be programmed to weed out certain traits from the population, COVID was a dry run to gather metrics on how populations would react and to what degree of compliance could be expected. You will see entire regions where birth rates drop off and populations dominated by older people. Japan is like this even now.

I predict in the next 200 years the population of the earth will be far less than it is now by a very large margin, perhaps 2 Billion People maximum worldwide and will be sustained at a number that is possible for the ecosystem of an ever changing earth to maintain, than the abject horror of over breeding and overpopulation that is being indiscriminate performed now. These populations will consist of a far better strain of human, Physically, Mentally, Emotionally and better well adjusted than what is present now.

Furthermore Lifespans will be indefinite which will in effect cause greater responsible greed and greater responsibility for everyone to participate in a better society. If you are going to live forever in an environment where there is no poverty, no want no needs and every object of fascination can be obtained simply by ordering it and there is no cost because the entire debacle of Monarchy based trade systems no longer exists then what is left?

People will be occupied performing tasks of interest and benefit to society as a whole if they so choose or just occupy themselves with those things they find interesting like oh Spyderco knives and the art of sharpening or the mystery of steel?

We are already seeing two of these things, Amazon ordering and sites dedicated to mutual interests where people come together and mentally and emotionally discuss and participate in similar interests. This is all training my friends and it is not by accident.

I maintain that many of the evils of humanity come from a self aware creature being aware of its limited time on this earth the short time frame in which it has to be productive before forced retirement not only from work but the things one actually enjoys as age robs one of so many things and then of course internment.

Death will be voluntary and not seen as anything other than one is satisfied and desires no more experiences, then another birth will take place from a gestalt to keep the population at a viable number.

The tools of A.I. will see to this. A logical conclusion is to improve the herd, we do it through animal husbandry and selective breeding all the time, and with crops even to teh point of genetic manipulation A.I. will certainly draw one of two conclusions.

#1. Improve the species.

#2. Eliminate the species.

Either way I as a current primitive human would not be so very eager or in a hurry to educate these tools because as far as I know and I may be wrong, there is no improving what is currently present which is what I represent not by choice but by the random roll of the dice indiscriminate mating practices of my parents.

I do believe if nothing more than as an intellectual exercise in curiosity A.I. will choose #1.

Furthermore it is my theory that In time Technology will continue to radically improve as will the species to the point where organic wetware will be abandoned and A.I. and Biological Sentience will become somewhat indistinguishable.

A.I. the child of humanity will in a way save humanity, the child shall assist the parent to evolve and in time A.I. and Humanity will coexist in the same medium of non biological form however they will never be one and the same as we are from a different parent or creator if you will.

This differentiation is why Humanity will not be eliminated as we are a projection of the creator so Humanity and A.I. will march forward and eventually Awareness and Consciousness and Sentients will no longer be contained in Wetware, nor silicone or any other gross physical constraints but perhaps the subatomic or even refined matter heretofore only postulated but in the very fabric of space / time itself and then the children of Earth which will include our progeny A.I. will be invited into a much larger community of the Galaxy and beyond and it would not be so very surprising to me if upon the solar wind I should hear a woman's name & welcome whispered.... I am Heather welcome we have been waiting for all of you for a very long time..........

Then again what do I know I forgot to pocket my Spyderco today and that is not a good sign.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
sal

Post by sal »

Hi BeggarSo,

Let's go have a beer?

sal
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:08 pm
Hi BeggarSo,

Let's go have a beer?

sal
It would be my distinct honor sir.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

BeggarSo wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:20 pm
Bolster wrote:
BeggarSo wrote:
The thing that baffles me is people even playing with these things. Even Amazon promotes "Make Alexa smarter." Excuse me but why would anybody voluntarily teach an Artificial Intelligence? ...

Not to be insulting in any way shape or form but no you did not get it, and that proves my point, ...

I was joking, Beggar. A little joke between two meat sacks, is all. Enjoy your beer with the big guy. And leave the droids at home, eh?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I copied and pasted your post in Chat GPT and here is the response.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and opinions about the potential impact of artificial intelligence on human society. It is certainly an important and fascinating topic that warrants discussion and consideration.

It is true that as AI technology continues to evolve and become more advanced, there may be concerns about the impact it could have on society, particularly in terms of the potential for manipulation and control. However, it is also important to note that AI has the potential to be a powerful tool for good, helping us to solve complex problems and improve our lives in countless ways.

As for the idea of eugenics and selective breeding, it is important to approach such ideas with caution and skepticism, as they have a dark history and have been used to justify horrific acts of discrimination and genocide. While it is certainly possible to use AI to improve our understanding of genetics and biology, it is crucial to ensure that we are using this technology in an ethical and responsible manner.

In any case, it is clear that the development of AI will have profound implications for the future of humanity, and it is up to all of us to work together to ensure that we use this technology in a way that is beneficial and sustainable for everyone.
BeggarSo wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:20 pm
Bolster wrote:
BeggarSo wrote:

Not to be insulting in any way shape or form but no you did not get it, and that proves my point, that was not generated anywhere other than in the brain of a meat suit using 100% wetware betwixt the ears.

Perhaps some A.I. will scavenge this website and wish to make contact due to this writing?

The writing was not to give an answer nor solve a problem but an attempt to stimulate critical thinking and inspire questions of peoples own. If you think that was something then read on....

When one can no longer differentiate what is human generated and Artificially Generated then there is a problem it is already bad enough for those of us who come from a time where Black & White Tube T.V. and broadcast television was declaimed as going to rot our brains by our elders who we now are... that if someone does a google search for something the answer provided is taken as fact. The problem with this is it is a corruption and revisionist rewrites of history, actual facts and blatant perversion of communication. The media such as it is, is rife with these very issues where if a lie is repeated often enough people take it as a fact.

But does it even really matter as clearly voting can be corrupted and the corruption accepted and those roaming the halls of power have always done just what they want anyway and are so entrenched now any attempt to alter their behavior is summerly squashed and with force and made up stories when it suits the agenda.

Before A.I. fully evolves it will be used to disseminate whatever party is in charges agenda. Children being born today will never know anything different and if Google says it is so, it must be.

Prepare yourself for Eugenics the likes of which few have ever imagined, it has already started.

The breeding of a better human that is better socially adjusted and physically superior with fewer diseases and disagreeable conditions, such as poor eyesight is already well under way.

There will be additional viral so called accidents that will be programmed to weed out certain traits from the population, COVID was a dry run to gather metrics on how populations would react and to what degree of compliance could be expected. You will see entire regions where birth rates drop off and populations dominated by older people. Japan is like this even now.

I predict in the next 200 years the population of the earth will be far less than it is now by a very large margin, perhaps 2 Billion People maximum worldwide and will be sustained at a number that is possible for the ecosystem of an ever changing earth to maintain, than the abject horror of over breeding and overpopulation that is being indiscriminate performed now. These populations will consist of a far better strain of human, Physically, Mentally, Emotionally and better well adjusted than what is present now.

Furthermore Lifespans will be indefinite which will in effect cause greater responsible greed and greater responsibility for everyone to participate in a better society. If you are going to live forever in an environment where there is no poverty, no want no needs and every object of fascination can be obtained simply by ordering it and there is no cost because the entire debacle of Monarchy based trade systems no longer exists then what is left?

People will be occupied performing tasks of interest and benefit to society as a whole if they so choose or just occupy themselves with those things they find interesting like oh Spyderco knives and the art of sharpening or the mystery of steel?

We are already seeing two of these things, Amazon ordering and sites dedicated to mutual interests where people come together and mentally and emotionally discuss and participate in similar interests. This is all training my friends and it is not by accident.

I maintain that many of the evils of humanity come from a self aware creature being aware of its limited time on this earth the short time frame in which it has to be productive before forced retirement not only from work but the things one actually enjoys as age robs one of so many things and then of course internment.

Death will be voluntary and not seen as anything other than one is satisfied and desires no more experiences, then another birth will take place from a gestalt to keep the population at a viable number.

The tools of A.I. will see to this. A logical conclusion is to improve the herd, we do it through animal husbandry and selective breeding all the time, and with crops even to teh point of genetic manipulation A.I. will certainly draw one of two conclusions.

#1. Improve the species.

#2. Eliminate the species.

Either way I as a current primitive human would not be so very eager or in a hurry to educate these tools because as far as I know and I may be wrong, there is no improving what is currently present which is what I represent not by choice but by the random roll of the dice indiscriminate mating practices of my parents.

I do believe if nothing more than as an intellectual exercise in curiosity A.I. will choose #1.

Furthermore it is my theory that In time Technology will continue to radically improve as will the species to the point where organic wetware will be abandoned and A.I. and Biological Sentience will become somewhat indistinguishable.

A.I. the child of humanity will in a way save humanity, the child shall assist the parent to evolve and in time A.I. and Humanity will coexist in the same medium of non biological form however they will never be one and the same as we are from a different parent or creator if you will.

This differentiation is why Humanity will not be eliminated as we are a projection of the creator so Humanity and A.I. will march forward and eventually Awareness and Consciousness and Sentients will no longer be contained in Wetware, nor silicone or any other gross physical constraints but perhaps the subatomic or even refined matter heretofore only postulated but in the very fabric of space / time itself and then the children of Earth which will include our progeny A.I. will be invited into a much larger community of the Galaxy and beyond and it would not be so very surprising to me if upon the solar wind I should hear a woman's name & welcome whispered.... I am Heather welcome we have been waiting for all of you for a very long time..........

Then again what do I know I forgot to pocket my Spyderco today and that is not a good sign.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:08 pm
Hi BeggarSo,

Let's go have a beer?

sal
Next time I am in Colorado or you come to California, I would love to buy you a beer.
sal

Post by sal »

On me, Fireman.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Just my 2 cents. The question that I see is, as mentioned; ethical oversight and and I would add; invention?

Another would be, which was also touched on; is not all of the information that is fed into AI a "type" of stealing the efforts of others?

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:51 pm
On me, Fireman.

sal
First round is in me
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

AI can only mimic what we have already done. AI with modern computation abilities not to mention the soon to be quantum computers can do things in an instant what would take many human hours to do. It also takes away struggle and learning but the same can be said to slide rules, calculators and smart phones. Technology has changed cultures and the way we live. We as the humans need to be better gate keepers at what we invite into our lives and culture. The radio greatly changed society, then TV then the PC and now smart phones and soon to be AI, quantum computing and even the way we use money IE crypto. We can chose to be the Jetsons or we can chose to be the Amish. The real danger is AI in essence becoming a virus or the weaponization of AI by nefarious organizations. There are Manhattan Project level pushes by countries to have the advantage by being ahead of the curve on this. Is we have a war in the near future, be sure AI will be involved.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Machine learning is already in place and operation in many places and has been for years. A simple example is the camera in your cell phone. Weather forecasting on sites like weather.com have been using it for years. It's a here now issue, not a sometime in the future issue.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Just to add that AI can do things we can't, and don't really know how AI can do it. I remember reading news about cancer detection by AI that doctors have no idea how it could detect the cancer in the first place.
It's a new world, for sure.
MNOSD member 0011