Well used Delica wharnie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Well used Delica wharnie

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:14 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:00 pm
prndltech wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:39 pm
For those that aren’t aware - this knife exists because of jazz!

Good you pointrd that out, I was about doing ap myself, since this was one of the first things / cool stores I learned after joining this forum.

/
I'll have to get a wharnie SE myself, just not decided on if it will be actually a Delica or a Salt 2.
Backstory?

Nick/Mushroom beat me to it (and I see today how many typos I did yesterday :grin-sweat - was really tired already)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Here are some closed pics. There is still lots of room for sharpening - still well inside the handle.

- best wishes, Jazz.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Why is there not a production orange FRN & vg10 delica wharncliffe?
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I love the Jazzlica in all it's forms. From my first burnt orange Hap40 Sprint (now with Ti scales), to my latest K390 version (handle swaped with my teal S30V version), and it's smaller spin-offs; Wharnfly, and Wharnbug. Even in its smallest form it glides through boxes with authority.

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:49 pm
Extremely suitable for this as a work knife. If I set it down, I can find it easily, unless it’s in a big box of oranges. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:32 pm
I love the Jazzlica in all it's forms. From my first burnt orange Hap40 Sprint (now with Ti scales), to my latest K390 version (handle swaped with my teal S30V version), and it's smaller spin-offs; Wharnfly, and Wharnbug. Even in its smallest form it glides through boxes with authority.

Very nice pics of some beauties.
- best wishes, Jazz.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:49 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:49 pm
Extremely suitable for this as a work knife. If I set it down, I can find it easily, unless it’s in a big box of oranges. ;)
I prefer orange or a bright handle and a non coated blade for the shop as well. Stands out from other tools and what not. I think all seki lock backs (the non-salts that is) should have an orange handle available.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

The Wharnie version of the Delica is my favorite and the only one I have multiple examples of. Thanks for your efforts in bringing this fantastic knife to fruition. I am curious Jazz if you've had a chance to try the Rockjumper and compared contrasted the two designs. Seems like the Rockjumper is a spiritual descendent of the Delica Wharnie.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 pm
The Wharnie version of the Delica is my favorite and the only one I have multiple examples of. Thanks for your efforts in bringing this fantastic knife to fruition. I am curious Jazz if you've had a chance to try the Rockjumper and compared contrasted the two designs. Seems like the Rockjumper is a spiritual descendent of the Delica Wharnie.
No, I haven't. I'm one who likes the kicker sticking out. It acts as a bit of a choil. Gives me more working hand room. I like it better than an actual choil, or no kicker/choil at all, like the Rock Jumper.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:36 am
Bemo wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:47 pm
No, I haven't. I'm one who likes the kicker sticking out. It acts as a bit of a choil. Gives me more working hand room. I like it better than an actual choil, or no kicker/choil at all, like the Rock Jumper.

Really?!

Man, that's good to "hear"!
Thought I was pretty much alone in finding that the kicker/ricasso actually is better than most dedicated finger choils!

That ricasso is perfectly suited for choking up on it (actually also perfectly safe for me), gives me more control than most dedicated finger choils, does not eat up space on the handle and places the hand closer to the edge when not choking up.
Winwinwinwin :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

My bet is on the serrated wharnie Delica. It has enough plain edge near the tip to work with, in case you need it for utility cuts, but the straight spyderedge portion of the edge packs tremendous cutting power. Best of both worlds. I carry my SE wharnie Delica more than any other spyderco folder lately. This thread deserves another pic.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

Jazz, thanks to you and Spyderco for bringing this to fruition. The Delica wharncliffe is one of my favorite knives.
Last edited by Road Tripper on Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Me too, I love it, and I wasn't sure I would.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:43 am

Really?!

Man, that's good to "hear"!
Thought I was pretty much alone in finding that the kicker/ricasso actually is better than most dedicated finger choils!

That ricasso is perfectly suited for choking up on it (actually also perfectly safe for me), gives me more control than most dedicated finger choils, does not eat up space on the handle and places the hand closer to the edge when not choking up.
Winwinwinwin :smlling-eyes

That’s funny. I thought I was alone. My middle finger always rests there when cutting taped boxes open, and I need more control. Works so well.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

The Jazzlica is the only Delica i own.
Enough said.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson