Well used Delica wharnie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Well used Delica wharnie

Post by Jazz »

Just have to say, I’ve been using this knife hard since they came out - this same one. It’s VG-10. I cut tons of cardboard and open all manner of restaurant things, cut banding, etc. I steel it backwards, like stropping, when it needs it, and it doesn’t need sharpening as often as you’d think. Also, it cuts fine without a brand new razor edge (highly overrated, they are). The tip aquires a rounded off bit from steeling, but still penetrates easily. Anyway, here it is. It has scratches, and usually it has way more tape goo on it. VG-10, and this knife are no joke.

Also, from all the use and required sharpenings over the years, I've had to round off the back bevel so it still slices easy.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Wartstein

Re: Well used Delica wharnie

Post by Wartstein »

Love to see used Spydies that actually "have a life", and your Delica definitely has!
Looks so much better than a new and shiny one.

Thanks for sharing!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Thanks so much for sharing Jazz. I wasn't around back in the day when this version first arrived, so how many years of use is that? And could you do a shot of it closed? With that much use and sharpening how low is the point in the handle? Although you have plenty of the blade kick to file down if you needed to. Thanks again.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great knife. I'm glad it exists.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

It is one of my favorites as well and I appreciate both you and sal for making your knife come to be! There’s a serrated one that finds its way into my pocket quite a bit! I gave away my PE one to a good friend of mine and i may just have to grab another one at some point.

I’m glad to see you still love it!
For those that aren’t aware - this knife exists because of jazz!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:39 pm

Good you pointed that out, I was about doing so myself, since this was one of the first things / cool stories I learned after joining this forum.

/
I'll have to get a wharnie SE myself, just not decided on if it will be actually a Delica or a Salt

[edited for spelling]
Last edited by Wartstein on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yep. Jazzelica.
imyavetra

Post by imyavetra »

I read through the original thread! Just picked up a new MGEWholesale exclusive S30V Delica for work (opening bags of coffee, etc). Super excited to try it out!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

prndltech wrote:
It is one of my favorites as well and I appreciate both you and sal for making your knife come to be! There’s a serrated one that finds its way into my pocket quite a bit! I gave away my PE one to a good friend of mine and i may just have to grab another one at some point.

I’m glad to see you still love it!
Funny because that was one of the first things I thought to mention as well! He’s not only responsible for the Wharncliffe Delica but Manbug wharncliffe as well. (Technically by extension the Endela, Endura, and Dragonfly wharncliffes too.) He deserves the credit and recognition for that, in my opinion!

My original vg10 Delica Wharncliffe was a workhorse for me when I worked in a warehouse.
-Nick :bug-red
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:19 pm
Funny because that was one of the first things I thought to mention as well! He’s not only responsible for the Wharncliffe Delica but Manbug wharncliffe as well. (Technically by extension the Endela, Endura, and Dragonfly wharncliffes too.) He deserves the credit and recognition for that, in my opinion!

My original vg10 Delica Wharncliffe was a workhorse for me when I worked in a warehouse.

Yeah, you’re right! But if I’m not mistaken it started with the Delica?

I currently have 3 in spyderedge: VG10, H1 and lc200n. I know vg10 is great and i love it but I’m really thinking about getting the PE lc200n because why not?

Jazz: out of curiosity, have you tried the lc200n version?
Last edited by prndltech on Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

prndltech wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:22 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:19 pm

Yeah, you’re right! But if I’m not mistaken it started with the Delica?

I currently have 3 in spyderedge: VG10, H1 and lc200n. I know vg10 is great and i love it but I’m really thinking about getting the PE lc200n because why not?

Jazz: have you used the spyderedge version as much as the plain edge?
Yep, the Delica started them all. I need a Salt version for this summer! Would be a great kayak fishing companion.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:37 pm
Yep, the Delica started them all. I need a Salt version for this summer! Would be a great kayak fishing companion.

Would be? IT IS! That’s part of the reason why I have em.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The wharncliffe Delica is great. Thanks, Jazz, for helping make this model a reality.
Attachments
20230313_083315.jpg
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I do have a few versions of it, including the H1 Salt SE (my garden and yard knife) and a SE VG-10. The serrations on it are shallow, and it cuts very well. Still have the prototype, but rarely use it. The reason I still love it and use it every day is because it just works, and works well.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:00 pm
prndltech wrote:

Good you pointrd that out, I was about doing ap myself, since this was one of the first things / cool stores I learned after joining this forum.

/
I'll have to get a wharnie SE myself, just not decided on if it will be actually a Delica or a Salt 2.
Backstory?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

sethwm wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:14 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:00 pm
prndltech wrote:

Good you pointrd that out, I was about doing ap myself, since this was one of the first things / cool stores I learned after joining this forum.

/
I'll have to get a wharnie SE myself, just not decided on if it will be actually a Delica or a Salt 2.
Backstory?
OK, it’s time to get serious - the thread that created the Wharncliffe Delica
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Thanks nick!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I’d like to add my voice in thanks to Jazz for his efforts in this regard.

The Wharncliffe blade option on the Delica takes the design to a whole new place.

I now have a number of Wharncliffes in different models as well as multiple Delica Warnies.

Thanks also to Spyderco for listening to its users.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Good to see you're still around, Jazz. Good looking blade there. Thanx for the update.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Jazzelica origin story is a beautiful example of the mutual respect between Spyderco and its passionate users.